• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ancient history

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Ancient history Reply with quote

I read an article yesterday on the history of pepperoni pizza. Imagine my surprise when the article explained it all started when Ezzo Sausage Company invented sliced pepperoni as we know it today in 1978. Prior to that pizzas had a undried sausage, not pepperoni.

I highly suspect this article’s author, Brittany Anas, is a gullible millennial.

One of my favorite after game snacks in high school was pepperoni pizza, at Shakey’s or Pizza Hut. This was in the early 1970’s well before Ezzo’s “invented” dried and sliced pepperoni.

I also suspect Ezzo of engaging in a little puffery, or the article’s author misinterpreted what she was told, or I misread. Maybe Ezzo thinks selling already sliced pepperoni or something in how they dry it was a significant step?

Darn now I am hungry for pepperoni pizza. Amici’s, Giodarnos deep dish or even Pizza Hut thin crust.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we had a Shakey's Pizza in suburban Maryland when my family moved there in 1969. Cannot attest unequivocally to pepperoni, but I expect that's what we ordered.

Oddity: the commercial jingle is still in my brain's database: "We serve FUN at Shakey's. <<bass voice>> Also pizza!"
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of friends and I went to the lunch buffet at Shakey’s in high school on all city band day. We decided to have a contest to see who could eat more pizza or fried chicken. The rule evolved that to qualify the person needed to eat 12 pieces of the other food.

I won the pizza contest with 27 pieces of pizza and 12 pieces of chicken.

At the time I was 6’ tall and weighed 145 pounds. (Prior to lunch. )
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Holy cow!!!!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Holy cow!!!!

I was skinny. In the summer between junior high and high school I put six inches of height in three months, 5’ 3” to 6’ 0”. A 28” waist. But I was unable to gain weight.

While in college I would often have two Wendy’s triples and a double order of large fries for lunch.

Never gained weight until I hit twenty-seven. Now I have to struggle to keep the weight off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: