• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vintage horn sound vs. modern horn sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gotten into vintage horns and have read a couple of posts from folks saying that there is a vintage sound and therefore vintage horns don't fit with modern sections. I'm not sure I agree. Do vintage horns sound different because of the horn itself or is it not the player/style of playing that really defines the sound?

Dave M.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the horn. I've owned several vintage horns and I play dozens of modern horns over each year. Some vintage horns sound like modern horns. For example, I had a 1914 Conn New Wonder that would fit in anywhere. OTOH, my beautiful old Keefer cornet didn't sound like anything else.

Also, listen to the Smithsonian recordings on 1800s instruments. You couldn't reproduce that sound with modern instruments (made to modern standards, not replicas of old designs).

Dave
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a few trumpets from the 20's. I find that if I treat them like modern instruments (amount of air, volume etc) then they don't like it. The sound is anything but pure.
If I play them a little lighter, the sound is fantastic. I have found that by playing these I have found a new understanding of music from the time. When playing pieces of that era on our modern trumpets we have a tendency to see ff and really go for it. When you hear recordings the brass can be very dominant. Played on period style instruments the sound is more distinctive (in my view) but not necessarily louder.

I have found this to be even more the case when playing original (and good copies!) of natural trumpets. Treat them like a modern trumpet and they will be out of tune and the sound will be very raw. Play them in a manner more suitable and they will reward you with an almost velvet woodwind sound. Anybody who thinks that Brandenburg 2 is a trumpet solo with orchestral accompaniment should try listening to someone who really knows how to play a natural trumpet playing it. The difference in volume between the trumpet, the violin, oboe and recorder is minimal. The sounds blend together a lot more easily.

I love having the option to change onto an older instrument. It adds yet another tonal colour into recitals.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the situation for me a little different. I'll begin by saying that all the horns I currently own could be classified as vintage (mid 50's to late 60's). Yet I tend to sound the same almost no matter what horn I'm playing, whether it's my own or someone else's or a brand new instrument. This mystifies some of my friends, but they all agree that it's true. Occasionally something'll come along that makes me sound different, but it's usually due to something about the horn, like leaky valves (which I've actually enjoyed in a couple of instances).

IMHO, no matter what type or year of horn you come across, each one has the potential to change your sound due to the huge amount of variables involved. With vintage horns, the variables tend to increase a bit because of the wear and tear that has inevitably altered the horn itself. I.e., a mellow sound can actually result from valves worn down just the right amount... among many many other things.

New horns have variables too, like craftsmanship weight, etc., but they typically don't have that vintage "wear" variable. To me this makes new horns sound almost too pure. But I'm sure if you broke it in for about 15 years daily, it would get that vintage sound just from heavy usage.

End ramble.

[ This Message was edited by: musiclifeline on 2003-12-13 13:27 ]
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think virtually any post World War II pro trumpet would have no problem sounding modern if it was well-maintained. My French Besson is pre-war and it sounds very similar to what is known as "the Bach sound".
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-13 13:35, valvepimp wrote:
I think virtually any post World War II pro trumpet would have no problem sounding modern if it was well-maintained. My French Besson is pre-war and it sounds very similar to what is known as "the Bach sound".

Today's Bach trumpet is an imatation Besson.
Today's sound is attempt to replicate the Besson sound.
I played,before my 72*LB Bach, an ancient Meha that leaked terribly but sounded great.
Benge, Calicchio are Besson copies.
Wilmer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: