• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Your Top 3 Piccolo Trumpet Brands/Models

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Your Top 3 Piccolo Trumpet Brands/Models Reply with quote

Will be looking to upgrade in a few months. I assume a Schilke P5-4 is still the gold standard but wanted to know what else to consider. The only negative I can think of with Schilke is having to use a cornet shank. Have no practical budget limits (thanks Engineering school LOL), but I imagine most options are less than $4k.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Schilke is an awesome picc.. for me, I found the tone a little itchy. I much prefered the tone of the Selmer's but they were notorious being a beast to play.

My top three?... hmm off the top of my head...

Blackburn, long bell, 4-valve - an incredible instrument

Bach (yes Bach) AP190 - I'm very impressed with these, a new winner on the market.

Yamaha Custom 9835 - maybe even a touch better that the Schilke

Stomvi, Kanstul, Eclipse would also be on my list......
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Top three picc Reply with quote

Hello all,
The P5-4 has long been copied. I think it would be interesting to compare the P7-4 side by side. I prefer the feel of my P7 over my P5-4. I don't think that having a cornet shank is a negative. I would think that most people play a slightly different mp on their small horns anyway. They would need to get another mp that possibly would not be compatible with any other horn, so it wouldn't matter if it was a cornet shank. I started with a recommended 11AX over a 7E. Bought an 11BX and now play Warburtons. With the interchangeable shanks and cups, I have a wide variety of options.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough one. I'll assume that you're looking at piston piccs so I won't include any rotaries.
Schilke, Blackburn, Yamaha, and Shires are all very popular. As you indicated, the Schilke P5-4 is a good benchmark. I've had mind since 1986 and it never disappoints. I also have excellent piccs from Blackburn and Shires. Another really awesome picc that I use a lot is the Spencer long bell model. It really projects well and is great for those things where you want a bigger sound.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 3 piccolos, having owned many...

1 & 2 equally. Scherzer / Thein.
equal 3. DEG / old Bach Stradavarius 196

The Thein is a much more open and brilliant instrument, with the Scherzer warmer, darker and a touch more resistant. Maybe a touch softer as well, mine can't let loose like my Thein can. Two very different axes for cutting down different trees.

The DEG piccolo I picked up recently plays wonderfully, but it's a small, bright sound... where I can use it? Not all that sure. And there was an old Bach piccolo at my previous school which is actually a really, really good instrument. In tune, even blow, acceptable sound. Nothing wrong with it at all.

cheers

Andy
mbauer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a Bach Artisan lately and it's really killer with the trumpet leadpipes. They're becoming pretty popular.
For a vintage horn, give the Selmers a shot. I'm a fan at least.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Selmer that I like just fine. It is a bit tight feeling and some don’t like that.

I also own a 3-valve DEG. I like it better than my Selmer. If that 4-valve DEG in the marketplace is still available I’d grab it. It even has Blackburn pipes!

I have played a Scherzer and thought it was wonderful. I would love to own one but they are so expensive these days.

Perhaps amazingly, I have never played a Schilke picc.

— Joe
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would said for my limited experience it would be:
1. Thein Piccolo: Tried one at TMEA and it was amazing. Beautiful sound that just speaks which made it feel more natural to play.
2. Yamaha YTR-988: I owned this one so maybe a bit biased. Great sound and plays very nimble. Got mine by a great deal on ebay which they rarely show up for sale at all (probably because they are just not widely purchased and own by folks because the initially $6300. MSRP). I would say it is very close 2nd to the Thein for me. Just plays a bit more compact and will shut you down if you overblow.
3. The Schilke P5-4 and it is different brand copies (YTR-9835, Bach Artisan, Stomvi, etc).

Though I never played it, some people say the P7 is a more open horn to the P5-4.

The one Scherzer (and I was actually trying to get one before getting the YTR-988) I played was very stuff and tight. I was glad I did not get one after trying one. Maybe it was that particular horn but I read the older ones were the better horns and the newer makes of Scherzer do play stuffy.

YMMV.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had try in the past Thein,Scherzer,Schilke,Yamaha and other that I don't remember right now but I still prefer the sound and the feel of the old 3 valve Selmer , is lite and easy to play it , specially with the stock 4 special mpc and the sound is the best for me , I am not a daily piccolo player and if had to play more this horn I would choose something else but for my needs this small trumpet is the best.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourites are the three I currently have. I've discarded Selmer and Finke rotary.

I'm left with
1) Courtois interchangeable short bell. My first picc and I'll never sell it. Love the way it plays and it's sound too. I could never understand why anyone wanted a Selmer when this was available.

2) Benchmark long bell. I bought on a whim one of Ron Glynn's Benchmark prototypes from ebay...plays really well and though I find the sound a little bright (as I do on a few long-bell piccs) it has a great clarity to its sound. All handmade (check out on FB if you haven't seen the Benchmark page) and the valves are some of the best I've ever played.

3) DEG Signature tunable (short) bell- my most recent picc. Bought it only to see why anyone who has had one bangs on about how good it is. Well, they bang on about it because of a big sound, tuning and ease of playing (up to top C).

I mentioned the valves on the Benchmark as any shop completely building their own tooling to make all their own parts deserves a lot of credit and respect. But the Courtois and the Bauerfiend valves on the DEG are also awesome. I've had the Courtois for thirty years now and I can't remember once a valve sticking or causing me any problems.

Last edited by jimspeedjae on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotary - Scherzer
Short model - Yamaha (I like the 3+rotor)
Long bell - Schilke/Kanstul/Stomvi
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:

1. Thein Piccolo: Tried one at TMEA and it was amazing. Beautiful sound that just speaks which made it feel more natural to play.

How do you even buy one of these? Went to their website, they only have 1 US vendor in some small Texas town.....went to that website and they don't even list the brand.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Blackburn/Eclipse (tie, short auditions)
2. Kanstul Signature/Schilke (tie though I bought a Kanstul)
3. Kanstul Custom/Yamaha (also short auditions)

I have not tried a Getzen or any of the newer lower-priced options. I did not really care for the Bach and Selmer piccs I tried.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yamaha 9825 (3+1 configuration) by far my favorite although I sometimes miss the 4th valve.
2. Scherzer rotary.

Can't say I have a 3rd favorite. I'm not a fan of the P5-4 as I always find the sound not to my liking compared to others. I have not played the P7-4 but it is on my tryout list.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:

How do you even buy one of these? Went to their website, they only have 1 US vendor in some small Texas town.....went to that website and they don't even list the brand.

For a serious instrument, one needs to take the purchase seriously. For a Thein (unless it's up for sale as second hand) you are best off contacting Max Thein and the team in Germany - they can speak English - and set up a visit, letting them know what you want to buy.

They can tweak the instrument for you in house and you leave with a brand new axe that has been fitted to you. You may also need to add some time there so they can do work on it - so plan on a couple of weeks tripping the wineries of Germany...

cheers

Andy
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Shark01 wrote:

For a serious instrument, one needs to take the purchase seriously. For a Thein (unless it's up for sale as second hand) you are best off contacting Max Thein and the team in Germany - they can speak English - and set up a visit, letting them know what you want to buy.

They can tweak the instrument for you in house and you leave with a brand new axe that has been fitted to you. You may also need to add some time there so they can do work on it - so plan on a couple of weeks tripping the wineries of Germany...

cheers

Andy

LOL...you must have an awesome life, cheers.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Schilke site page for the P5-4.

"Starting in 2018, includes a single mouthpipe for the key of Bb and A with a cornet receiver plus a second mouthpipe for the key of A only with a trumpet receiver."

So you can use a trumpet mouthpiece if you play in A.
You can also buy Blackburn leadpipes for the P5-4 with trumpet receivers.

Some years ago, I bought trumpet shank leadpipes for my Kanstul (RIP) from Kanstul. Don't use them much, but I did when experimenting with mouthpieces. I think both the P5-4 and the Kanstul I have were designed for cornet shank mouthpieces. But the pipes are available, so that should not be something that limits your acquisition.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:

"Starting in 2018, includes a single mouthpipe for the key of Bb and A with a cornet receiver plus a second mouthpipe for the key of A only with a trumpet receiver."

So you can use a trumpet mouthpiece if you play in A.
You can also buy Blackburn leadpipes for the P5-4 with trumpet receivers.

Some years ago, I bought trumpet shank leadpipes for my Kanstul (RIP) from Kanstul. Don't use them much, but I did when experimenting with mouthpieces. I think both the P5-4 and the Kanstul I have were designed for cornet shank mouthpieces. But the pipes are available, so that should not be something that limits your acquisition.

Good info, thanks
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:

I think the only US dealers is Houghton in Keller TX.

https://houghtonhorns.com/?s=thein&post_type=product

I don't think they keep multiple Thein trumpets in stock but can order for you what you want. I do not know their trial policy so it might be a gamble on if it is the horn for you.

I tried at TMEA so I think your best bet is to see which conventions that Thein will be attending and go and try one at these events. Max Thein is usual there and is very friendly. Also at conventions usually you can get a better price too.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:

bought my P5-4 in 2018 and it only can with a single mouthpiece for Bb and A. No extra mouthpieces for Key of A tpt receiver... interesting.

a) Schilke P5-4 (own)
b) Shires 9Y (great sound-thumb kept slipping)
c) Blackburn long bell 4 valves (looks gorgeous, but never played one)
d) Schagerl rotary picc. (looks like a great horn, but never touched one... yet)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: