• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach TR 700 trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Bach TR 700 trumpet Reply with quote

Was unable to find any information on the Bach TR 700 trumpet. Is this an intermediate trumpet? How does it sound and feel?

Sold my Getzen Capri trumpet. Didn't like the 1st slide trigger and the 3rd slide adjustable rod. Since it could not be modified, decided to sell it.

Keep my Getzen Capri cornet. Was able to live with 1st slide trigger or the 3rd slide rod.

Do miss the sound of the Getzen Capri trumpet.
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold short shank mouthpiece
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled here and it looks like a student "prelude" model made overseas (now these seem to be the TR500s?). I don't think it's an intermediate trumpet.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Reply with quote

Thanks Have Trumpet for Travel for the information. If I win the bid, may use it for a backup trumpet or flip it.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TR700 is a Prelude (easily recognized on the Conn-Selmer site as an offshore by the almost non-existent warranty). Worth maybe $150 used, and not sure why that much. Its a TSO stenciled by Conn-Selmer to have product to compete with the similar "instruments" too many people buy these days.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a "Bach TR300" come into the shop recently which didn't look at all like the hundreds of them I've worked on. It was Chinese, and maybe Conn-Selmer has offshored the whole student line, don't know.

Hit the avoid button.
https://yourbrass.com/
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: My luck held out! Reply with quote

Yes I did win them all. Received Bach 700 today, no marking anywhere indicating it is a Bach 700 trumpet. So I am returning it.

Waiting on all the trumpets. Plan on keeping the Getzen 700 Eterna and selling the other trumpet.

Getzen comes with 1st slide thumb saddle, and 3rd slide adjustable ring. Likely will add 3rd slide fixed ring.

Did think about buying a Getzen Capri trumpet with the 1st slide thumb saddle, but decided to move up to the Getzen 700 Eterna trumpet.

Have owed Getzen 300 cornet, Getzen 390 trumpet, Getzen 490 trumpet. Wasn't impressed with the sound of the trumpets, until I bought the Getzen Capri cornet and trumpet.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
I had a "Bach TR300" come into the shop recently which didn't look at all like the hundreds of them I've worked on. It was Chinese, and maybe Conn-Selmer has offshored the whole student line, don't know.

Hit the avoid button.

In 2009, the TR-300 was briefly produced in China (OK, they bought something and stenciled it). That was only for a short time. Today the TR-300 is made in Eastlake and the bell is made at Bach Elkhart (with a surprisingly labor intensive process of seaming the 2 pieces). It is a fine quality student horn - a rarity.

Some other TR series horns are made in Tianjin China and are often labeled Prelude. I'm inclined to agree with the advice where those are concerned.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any Chinese TR300's, but if they were a brief period - that might be why. One of the music programs I worked for moved away from the TR300 for while around that time - maybe that was the reason.

The TR500's are hide the children bad - maybe a tiny step above the random (non-Indian) internet trumpet. Maybe. Bring one in to a repair shop and see the mental groan that the tech has when they see what it is and then carefully explain how it's not a very high quality instrument. The one or two TR700 I've seen were in this mold as well. Not a intermediate horn, for sure, and a lesser horn than the TR300 by a mile.

To be clear, every once in a while, you get a random horn that plays way better than it should by sheer luck. It doesn't mean the quality is good or the parts are solid components, it just randomly got assembled in a way that it functions well.

After going over a bunch of new TR300's and cleaning up a bunch of used TR300's, I have a higher opinion of them than previously. The main thing is that the valves on the new ones feel clunky and moderately fitted. However, often after being played for a while, they seem to fit and move much better than when new. After a period of break-in they might be solid valves after all.

Finally, I have to question the wisdom of selling a Getzen Capri because of the trigger. I am no fan of triggers and have removed a few - my Bach 184 plays better (though freer and more open) with a saddle than a trigger - but these are smaller details on a horn that is extremely solid overall and has Getzen valves.

FWIW - newer Capri trumpet come with a saddle rather than a trigger.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: