• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure change comeback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cperret
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many players out there are making a comeback, not from a long period off, but something like an embouchure change, injury, etc? I'm a professional trumpet player who's spent the last three months relearning his embouchure (and I have at least another four or five months before I can actually play again, I think,) and I am curious to hear from others who are going through a similar change. Thanks!
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on an embouchure change also and am finally seeing some positive results. It has been a long process.
TBone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if this doesn't fit your topic criteria, but I'm always eager to throw in my story :

I'm not a professional, but I am in the middle of a change, too. I "quit" about 8 years ago when I realized that my embouchure was so terrible that I wouldn't be seeing any forward progress. Unwilling to spend the time necessary to fix it (this includes dropping out of several bands so I could go "back to the drawing board"), I just gave up.

It was a horrible mistake, and I've since started playing again - this time with a much more "textbook" embouchure. It feels great and natural, but as you can imaging, between the 8 year break and the new embouchure, I can't play well at all. I can't hit anything above a tuning C (though it was only a G a week ago), and my endurance is about 45 minutes. Tone is okay - it comes and goes - but my flexibility is great... something I never had before.

I'm trying to be realistic about this. My expectations consist of playing in my church in a year, and maybe other community bands in 2 years. I'd hope that in 5 years, I'd be able to run circles around my previous 'self'.

We'll see.
drKmod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laid off playing for about 15 years. When I began to read this forum I realized my major problem was my emb. I read and reread to understand what I missed the first time around and did I miss a lot. My band director may have known alot about embs but he didn't pass the info on to me. I purchased Pops Clint McLaughlin books on embs and they have really helped me. Others may do the same for you. I play easier, longer and with the range I want. Just think what a career I could've had if only I'd known this stuff earlier. Good luck.

Don

"Puff and magic happens"
1960 K Modified .458 Selmer Paris Trumpet
1950 Buffet Crampon American Model .470 Cornet
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's spooky how similar my story is to TBone's except my range is a little better, G above the staff with the occasional high Bb or C. I wish I hadn't sold my Strad LR180-37GP . . .

[ This Message was edited by: MoonBoy on 2003-12-24 00:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MoonBoy on 2003-12-24 00:50 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-15 07:48, TBone wrote:
It feels great and natural, but as you can imaging, between the 8 year break and the new embouchure, I can't play well at all. I can't hit anything above a tuning C (though it was only a G a week ago), and my endurance is about 45 minutes. Tone is okay - it comes and goes - but my flexibility is great... something I never had before.

I went through this years ago . . . just for fun, do me a favor and try something:

Place your mouthpiece so low on your embouchure that you think it's ridiculous and try to play that way.

If you try this and it's awful, then (obviously) discard the idea. But if you find some success with it, then meet me over at the Reinhardt Forum, okay?

Merry Christmas!

Rich
TBone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip BeBopp; unfortunately, I can hardly make a sound if I go any less than 1/2 top.

But, I do have good news (well, at least to me it's good news!). I'm progressing quite rapidly (relatively speaking, of course). Endurance is better - I can play about an hour and a half now. Range is a G above the staff (an octave higher from where I started), flexibility is good, tone is great, etc.

I've been doing Eddie Lewis' Daily Routines, the Caruso book, and some Irons excersises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: