• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson Bach TR300 on Ebay

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so many of you "experts" are so SURE that your horns play better than this TR300, then why don't you all pitch in 20 bucks, buy it and pass it around? Then you can play it against your Zeus or Schilke or Eclipse and tell us your thoughts. I'm sure most of you will come up with some excuse as to why this wouldn't work. Things like, "It would be too embarrassing to play something that looks so crazy" or "why even bother, it doesn't work!"
But how can you justify such rotten remarks when you've never even played it???

This is my challenge. Take it or leave it.

Jason Harrelson
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tr300 isn't worth 20 bucks. I don't think the TH community should be responsible for giving you a $1000 for a student model horn. Show up to ITG and we'll see you there. Nice try though.
smokinschilke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but no thanks. If I want to play test a TR300, I can play the one that I bought for $74 on Ebay for my students. You see, the Zues is made by Kanstul, who is one of the finest trumpet makers in the world. The Monette trumpets are a whole other ball-game and I don't think that they should even be brought into the picture. Patches is right. Go get a booth at the ITG and see if Randy Brecker or anyone else in that league will pay $1000 for a TR300 or a student model Yamaha for $4000. Somehow, I don't think that they ever would......

[ This Message was edited by: smokinschilke on 2003-12-14 14:12 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

===========

He's got a point!...you can never tell until you try!...

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]

[ This Message was edited by: Emb_Enh on 2003-12-14 15:09 ]
Arainach
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have some extra stuff welded on, but it's still a Bach TR300. I've never seen any other model of horn with such poor quality. EVER. Half of my section play on Back CR300s and TR300s, and they are all miserable quality. Valves are out of alignment and often stick, regardless of cleaning and type of oil. Most of these kids have had to repeatedly have various joints re-soddered. And the tone ain't that great (there's an occasional decent one, but they're the exception). If you took the best TR300 ever made, it'd be about equal to the worst Strad ever made. And as others here can tell you, Bach's made some pretty bad Strads at times.
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuses, excuses.
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first question is what is the weight of the average modified horn?

Are the prototypes the only modified horns built from student level horns?
Start with a student horn and finish with a modified student horn. That is what logic tells me. How good can those modifications be? I am not interested to pay to find out.

My question for you Jason, is, if you have honed your craft and think you know what it takes to build a great horns, why don't you start off with good quality new parts and really build custom horns?
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much cooler auction...I'd buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2208639691&category=43331

[ This Message was edited by: PatchesTheCat on 2003-12-14 17:55 ]
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Patches. How long did it take whip that up? You almost had me going, thinking it was a real auction.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a break guys!

If any one of you can honestly say you have played one of Harrelson's trumpets, say so - then give us an honest report.

If you are just going to be childish about it, do us all a favour, save your highly amusing wit for the kindergarten.

When the first Monette trumpets came out, were they treated as peculiar looking objects? I guess so, they are very different to the standard Bach look that everyone seems to favour. It was only once players actually played them that many started swearing by Monette.

Do people laugh at heavy top mouthpieces?
Not any more, many people have tried them and preferred them. When the first ones came out, I doubt they were greated with open arms.

Yes, these trumpets do look very different.
Yes, you would probably get peculiar looks if you turned up to a symphony orchestra rehearsal.

Let's see what they play like before we start slamming them completely.

Jason, if you are able to be there at ITG 2004 I think a lot of us would be very interested in trying out your instruments.
smokinschilke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patches!! That was so funny, I laughed and laughed!! Thanks for the holiday cheer!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2208639691&category=43331

HAHAHAHHAHA

And $750 for shipping! That's about the funniest damned thing I've ever seen. Great work. I love it!

Dave M
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-14 13:42, JasonHarrelson wrote:
If so many of you "experts" are so SURE that your horns play better than this TR300, then why don't you all pitch in 20 bucks, buy it and pass it around? Then you can play it against your Zeus or Schilke or Eclipse and tell us your thoughts. I'm sure most of you will come up with some excuse as to why this wouldn't work. Things like, "It would be too embarrassing to play something that looks so crazy" or "why even bother, it doesn't work!"

This is my challenge. Take it or leave it.

Jason Harrelson
*** SERIOUS RESPONSE ***

Jason,

I doubt you'll find the TH community taking you up on your challenge. I'm curious about how well the horn actually plays, but not enough to spend actual cash money to find out.

So, here's an alternative that probably would play out. Groups of TH-ers seem to have been having trumpet-fests periodically. Why not participate in one and bring one of your horns? You can get it into the hands of a lot of good players who will likely give the horn a good, fair evaluation. If you can't make the trip, put it in the hands of someone you trust!

Think about it...

Steve

" 'Learning the piano?' ... And I suppose you want to go and practise eh? Marching up and down the square not good enough for you, eh?"

[ This Message was edited by: swthiel on 2003-12-14 20:30 ]
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, since it was "before my time" as it were, but how did the traveling Zeus for review get started? Did a single individual shell out the cash, or was it community effort? I'm wondering if the same approach might shed some light on this seemingly controversial subject.

-Dan
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question about how the ZeuS first made it's rounds, it was Priscilla King of Pick Music (http://www.pickmusic.net/) who laid out the cash, bought the horn, and shipped it around the country at HER COST for that revolving test. Happily for her, the horn made it back to her shop relatively unharmed and she was able to sell it on Ebay not long ago (hopefully not loosing too much money).
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, whoever said that all TR300's suck is damn retarded, my dad picked one up cheap on ebay just for himself to practice on (he played years ago in grade school and was kinda interested in doing a little playing again) and I used it a lot in marching band and practice at home. Excellent valves, never stuck unless it was left sitting for a long time (many days), a drop of oil cured that. Sound isn't too bad either, not too much worse than my strad. (and NO, my strad doesn't suck, I like it a lot). The only think I don't really like about it is that the third valves slide doesn't move easily (then again, it IS filthy, probably just needs a good cleaning). I admit that I thought your horns looked like **** (never slammed them on here, just my thoughts), but it does make me angry when you say that your horns are so great and you make accusations against us. How bout we NOT buy it and you just send it around like that one person who sent around the zues. As far as I know, they didn't charge for the Zeus. Or like those guys say, take it to one of those places and have people play it. If you really think it's that great, I don't see why you WOULDN'T do that, seeing as your sales would increase. If you do send it around and you never get it back, you could always buy a new TR300 on ebay and pay a highschool student 50 bucks to weld some scrap metal onto it. Your loss wouldn't be too huge.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-14 20:29, swthiel wrote:
*** SERIOUS RESPONSE ***

Jason,

I doubt you'll find the TH community taking you up on your challenge. I'm curious about how well the horn actually plays, but not enough to spend actual cash money to find out.

So, here's an alternative that probably would play out. Groups of TH-ers seem to have been having trumpet-fests periodically. Why not participate in one and bring one of your horns? You can get it into the hands of a lot of good players who will likely give the horn a good, fair evaluation. If you can't make the trip, put it in the hands of someone you trust!

Think about it...

Steve,

Someone already posted a similar response. If this Harrelson fellow is confident that his modification concepts are valid, then he can premier his wares in forums like ITG conference. IMO, his "offer" is disingenuous.

Thos.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2003-12-14 20:57 ]
Dan Millheim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrelson Client: You can read my review of Jason's 926 Triton Trumpet on another thread on this forum under: "Has anyone ever heard of...". I can assure you that Jason is a master craftsmen and for you to slander his work without actually ever playing his horns is so childish. I am a professional trumpet player of 20 years. I am telling all of you again that this horn is the finest instrument I have ever played and I have played most all of them! If you would like to contact me, you may do so at the e-mail address off my profile. Many follow but few lead... think outside the box an experience a wonderful new instrument.

Jason, Thanks again for the horn, it is such a pleasure to play.Don't waste too much time here.
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one is in the Seattle area , please bring it around. I would like to try one just to see if there is something to this.It is unlikely to beat my Strad, but you never know. Dave Monette is pretty out there sometimes himself- and his trumpets are very good.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my idea is a good one. After all, don't knock it until you try it.

Don't steal my ideas. If I see Monroe struts at ITG, I'm gonna flip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: