• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure placement/ staying under the rim of the mp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Embouchure placement/ staying under the rim of the mp Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player. I liked the sound I've had but I've had doubts about my embouchure. Basically, my top lip was on/almost above the rim, and I think I had my lower jaw too open.

I'm working with a teacher and he's returned me to a good "m" placement. My top lip seems to sit pretty naturally just under the inner rim and my lips seem to be buzzing more correctly in the mouthpiece. I'm about a month into this.

Here's my problem--My upper lip keeps wanting to slide up. I almost can't stop it from moving up slightly onto the rim of the mouthpiece. Maybe this will improve with more muscle/practice? Maybe it'll stay in place better with less pressure? Is it worth trying a sharper rim (I'm currently on a Yamaha 16)? Of course I'll work on it with my teacher but was curious if anyone had advice.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it try to slide up (mouthpiece slides down) regardless of what you are playing, or does is slide up primarily when you are trying to go higher in pitch?

In general, it takes a lot of patience to break this habit. It can take several months.

Jeff
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jeff says it can take couples of month to build a good muscle memory and coordination.
I'd practice mainly at soft volume, easy slow Clarke stuff, and when i'd be at home with the new embouchure, add control aperture exercices (kind of long tone, crescendo-decrescendo : decrescendo-crescendo)

best
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts to slide up with almost any pressure. It may be the shape of my teeth also.

I'll follow the advice to do lots of quiet tones and long tones. I have been doing that but of course I'm so eager to go higher.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if you are opening your mouth/embouchure to take a breath
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you might be too worried about pressure. When I have inherited students with this issue (mouthpiece slides down when they try to ascend), it was corrected over time without mentioning the word "pressure," or without them playing softly all the time.

What is your teacher's advice? If my advice is different, you should take mine with a grain of salt and go with your teacher. It's better to be focused in one direction than split in two. After a few months, reevaluate.

Jeff
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Reinhardt used to tell us to place "from North to South" to prevent the mouthpiece from slipping down.

In other words, he wanted me to place it from the top down (touch the mouthpiece to the top lip first). I had problems with this some 35 years ago and sure enough, that solved the problem.

It's as though I'm "pinning down" the upper lip first before arriving at my embouchure setting, and that holds everything in place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: