• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To Schilke owners:New Schilke B1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham Altham-Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered a new Schilke B1 (I currently have a Yam 6335HS) and have some questions that I would be grateful if Schilke owners could answer:

1) Do the valves take time to bed in and is it necessary to clean them thoroughly after every time I play for the first few weeks?

2) I know they are quite light weight. I will be keeping it in a leather pro pac case (solid) Is it OK to keep my K and M trumpet stand in the bell in the case or could it damage it as they are lightweight ( I am getting the standard B1 - not berrilyum bell).

3) Does Al Cass valve oil work well in Schilkes and is the best tuning slide grease schilkes?

4) Is the brass saver the best cleaning set?

and finally!

5) I use a GR 3M mouthpiece on my Yamaha currently and wondered what schilke players experience of GR mouthpieces is on a schilke and if you have found it necessary to alter the gap etc.

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to my new horn arriving!

Cheers

Graham.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a schilke C7. there was a short time in which the valves wanted always wanted oil.
i do use al cass & the schilke slide grease, and am pleased w/both on that horn.
for cleaning, i hold mine w/a silver polish cloth and wipe down when i should. the horn is 'happiest' when i use an actual schilke mpc w/it, but i don't do that often.

dj

[ This Message was edited by: david johnson on 2003-12-15 03:51 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yellow brass bell is not particularly fragile. It is the berrylium one that seems to be much more likely to get dents.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass Saver is the BEST brush set.

I've played a B1 with my GR66MS and found that it worked as well as it did on my Yamaha. I much prefer the GR rim and balance to the Schilke mps. Coming from the 6335, you may want to add a 66S to your arsenal, if you play lead much. The openess of the B1 may be too much up above highC.

Enjoy your new horn. Give us a report after a few days of living together.

Dave
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENJOY!!!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would NOT carry a trumpet stand in the bell of any instrument.
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't currently play Schilke but have in the past and play with many people who play them now. I personally like the sound of Monette mouthpieces with Schilke horns. Whatever you choose, Enjoy. The B1 is a fantastic instrument.
Bowtie_SBC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Al Cass valve oil in a Schilke MII, and B5 for years(20+). I switched to Blue Juice valve oil about a year ago. They both worked well with my Schilkes, but I really like the Blue Juice better.
I apply it to the inside of the lead pipe also after every swab out or cleaning. It will help protect your investment.

Conn Connstellation 38B
Jupiter Tribune
Jupiter 846S Flugelhorn
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes I would go ahead wipe out the casing and valves once a day for the first few weeks. As they break in, small metal pieces will break away and reside in the valve casing. I don't know the long term consequences if you don't, nor do I know the proven effectiveness if you do, but it seems logical that you don't want them in there.

2. I wouldn't imagine there would be any problem with the yellow brass bell. However I do agree that I would never keep a trumpet stand or anything in my bell while in transport.

3. There is a huge discussion on valve oil on this site. Al Cass works fine, so does pro oil hybrid, Zaja etc. I wouldn't say any best tuning slide grease, but a nice thin coating and working your slides daily will get them moving.

4. I have no clue.

5. I've always found Yamaha gaps to be very similar to Schilke if not exact. At least that was the case on my 6310Z. I wouldn't imagine there would be a problem with the mouthpiece gap unless GR does something I don't know about.

Now just a quick question...I'm thrilled you bought a Schilke, but your question about the mouthpiece gap alteration leads me to believe that you didn't try it out before you bought it. Have you played this horn before?? Or did you switch mouthpieces in the time the factory took to make it?
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Al Cass but switched to Hetman because Cass just didn't work well in my Schilke's ( I've got three ). I use Hetman light because the clearance between the valves and cases seems to be very tight on those horns. Schilke slide grease is some of the best, even though I've switched to Hetman there also. Hetman grease is a little thicker or tackier then Schilke's. I wouldn't hesitate to use Schilke slide grease again.

Marty
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been carrying a B&K stand inside the bell of my horns for decades and never had the slightest damage. I assure that they fit into the case or gig bag with no play between the stand and the horn, but with that precaution I've not experienced a single ping, dent or ding.

Dave
Graham Altham-Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies and advice - very useful. Patches - I tried the horn out and compared it with the Yamaha side by side but it was with a Bach 3C as that was what I was playing at the time (about a year ago) and loved the Schilke much more than my Yamaha (even though I still think the Yamaha is a very good horn) so have now decided to take the plunge! I haven't tried it with the GR 3M yet so just wondered how other schilke owners got on with GR. I have had quite a bit of correspondance with Brian Scriver at GR, who I must say is very helpful and would recommend anyone who is thinking of a GR mouthpiece to get in touch with him, and he said to measure the gaps on both my Yamaha and Schilke when it arrives to see if the gap may need altering.

Thank you again everyone and happy playing!

Graham.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to store my K & M 5 leg stand in the bell of the Schilke, even though I use a Torpedo Bag. Just not worth taking a chance.

I started out oiling it with Clark Viper Oil....cleaning every couple of days and reoiling daily. After about 2 months I switched to Binak Pro and have been on that lube ever since. Follow the instructions: it's all it's advertised to be.

14 months later, the horn is still dent free, the valves look like new, and it just plays better every day.

I got used to the horn FIRST (and had been playing a Sparx #4 on cornet). Once I was really used to the open blow of the Schilke I discussed the situation with Bruce and ended up with the GR 66***. Got my fingers crossed, it's been about a year and I feel no urge to try any different mouthpiece yet.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootall, I've never heard of anyone damaging a horn with a K&M five-leg stand in stored in the trumpet. Do you know of someone that damaged a horn and, if so, how?

I've been doing it since the early 1980s, first with a three-leg then a five-leg. I love cruising into a gig with just a single RB gig bag or now my BAM-light with no other pieces.

I'll probably continue the practice, but if there's something that users should be cautious about, I'd love to hear it. (I'm like to keep my trumpets dentless and scratchless).

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a B5L for 20 yrs. I always used Al Cass, and yes - there was a break - in period. Also Schilke grease. Al Cass doesn't work in my Callet, so it's now Blue Juice. I used a 14A4 most of the time, later a 15C4 and finally a Callet 15s Bukur (what a screamer!). I used to carry it in a leather RB bag ( I'm very hip) but when I started doing a lot of road I had too many close calls so it was back to the dorky wood case, and finally a Walt Johnson (ultra hip!). I never wanted to take the chance carrying anything in the bell, so I always carry a goodie bag. I'm kinda compulsive about my horns, and that Schilke started my habit of putting the horn in the case on breaks - better safe than sorry!

I think you will absolutly love your new horn!

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC...no, I've never heard of anyone damaging a bell either! But the way I figure it...I have space in the accessory pouch for the stand so why take the chance? I try to follow the ALARA principal....As Low As Reasonably Achievable...when it comes to risk. I used to carry the stand in the bell of my Strad...but the Strad bell is a heck of a lot thicker than that of a Schilke and the case (standard Strad model) was also a lot different from the Torpedo Bag.

Yes, and I always put the horn back in the case during break too; I've seen a couple of trumpets knocked over by well-meaning but big-footed low brass players in a rush to get to the washroom!

Getzen Eterna 800 LB (Sparx #4)
Jupiter 846L (Jupiter #7)

[ This Message was edited by: Tootsall on 2003-12-17 19:15 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I live dangerously. I left my horn on stage just this weekend and almost croaked when a photographer straddled it to take picture of the winners of the local marathon. Between my horn, two saxes and a flute, there must have been about $9000 worth of horns that this oblivious lady was stomping around. There IS a rider on my insurance.

On an ongoing basis, I worry about the drummer more than anyone else. I take that back, he's got thousands invested in his DW drumset and knows that I respect his equipment, it's the percussionist that's up there with borrowed equipment that I should be worrying about. The soundman can be pretty scary at times also.

Oh well, thanks for the advice.

Dave
drKmod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to #2. For years I travelled with briefcase, suitcase and overcoat. One of the tricks of the professional traveller was the use of pantyhose...no jokes, here. I cut off about 9-12" of the feet of my wifes old, used, clean pantyhose and put my shoes in them so they wouldn't get my clothes dirty. I shined my shoes with them also. They were great for occasional cash in an emergency...smile...I put my K & M 5 legged, never 3 legged, stand in one of the feet pantyhose and it protects my horn on the stand and when in the case. See how many uses you can think of and share with the rest of us.

Don

"Puff and magic happens"
1960 K Modified .458 Selmer Paris Trumpet
1950 Buffet Crampon American Model .470 Cornet
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

I have a Schilke B1L - (tunable bell B1). You have a great horn that you will love. To answer your questions:

1. There was no break in period on my valves. There were wonderful from day one and still are. I believe Schilke's valves are second to none.

2. I also use a Pro Pac case. The tunable bells I'm told are more fragile than the standard series but the Pro Pac has always taken care of my horns. I do use common sense in handling the horn in the case like I do all my horns and cases.

3. I have used Al Cass oil for years and prefer it. I purchased a Strad this year and the dealer threw in some Zaja grapefruit scented oil. It did not last near as long as the Al Cass. There may be better valve oil than Al Cass but if so, I haven't see it yet. Schilke uses and reccommends Al Cass and that says something to me.

4. Some users on the TH reccommended 3M Tarn-Shield to polish the horn. It does good but after using that, I use a Selmer treated polishing cloth on it. That really shines it up big time

Let us know after you've played your horn a while how it's going.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, I'm curious to know how you generate "emergency cash" with your wife's cutoff panty-hose!!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: