• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting back mouthpiece..does it matter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Starting back mouthpiece..does it matter? Reply with quote

I have a Getzen Severinsen Jet-Tone (no size). I struggle on low notes.
Bach 5B.. med/med...I do ok with it.
Yamaha 11...small diameter/fat rim..I struggle with it on most but more lower notes.
Getzen 10 1/2C...small diameter med rim.. I do ok with it.

I have lips on the thinner side if I had to describe them. Since we are all different there can’t really be a middle of the road for everyone right? So I’m guessing there might be a middle of the road for people with thin lips? Medium lips, and Full/thick lips people?

Am I way wrong? Just wondering if there is a best mouthpiece size to be practicing with until my chops are ready for something different. Does a person play the same mouthpiece for everything? Or is that music specific too once you’re at a stage it matters??

I’m on my lay-off day just buzzing a mouthpiece and finding ths somewhat difficult to do smoothly from “C” to “C”
Thanks Charles
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that you don't need a new mouthpiece as much as some competent coaching.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip size/shape has little to do with what mouthpiece works best for you. IMO it's more about dental/jaw structure. Beyond that it's hard to tell which without trial and error.

As a general instruction , I would go with a middle of the road piece (Yamaha 11C4, 11B4, Bach 7C) until you develope some consistency and have a chance to work with an instructor to experiment.

Jet-Tone probably too shallow and tight...
5B is not med/med.. it's more med/deep and as Bach writes "for mature embochures"
10 1/2 C a good piece, that many like, but may be too small
11C4 or 11B4 = middle of the road

Then, what is the condition of each - clean, good plating and still smooth?

Finally, there may never be a reason to move away from the Yamaha 11 or Bach 7C neighborhood - will depend upon your chops, BUT they need to be developed and consistent before the "safari" starts.

Pick one! put the others in a locked box then, practice, practice, practice.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goto mouthpiece for starting or resuming players are the Yamaha pieces from 11B4 up to the 14B4. These have relatively flat comfy rims with a relatively friendly inner edge. Pick the diameter you like and stick with it a while. If you feel the need for a somewhat larger tone then try the 11C4 through 14C4 which is the same as the previous except a slightly deeper cup. Sure some folks prefer larger or smaller diameters, deeper cups, or rounder rims, but most get along pretty well on these. It's a pretty safe place to start.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST a suggestion here, don’t take offense.

Judging by your posts on TH, it almost seems as if you might be headed down an equipment “safari.” I think that’s the LAST thing you want. Yes, everyone is different, but until/unless you get with a qualified teacher to help you, staying with a “middle of the road” mouthpiece, along the lines of maybe a Bach 7C or 5C, might be your safest bet. Extremes at either end of the mouthpiece spectrum are probably what you need to avoid for now.

Based on your description of your former skill level, I don’t think you’re ready to start experimenting with mouthpieces or horns, you probably need to establish a solid base, through practice and lessons before you spend much energy or money on trying different equipment. Out of what you have, I think the Yamaha piece might be your best option, at least for now. You have a solid, well respected horn, so once you recover from your four hour chop-bash-fest, PRACTICE!😉

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Out of what you have, I think the Bach piece might be your best option, at least for now.

I'm with you for most of what you wrote. I'm a little less sure about the 5B. I find the sharper bite and deeper cup could be more trouble than several other options. But if it works, have at.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Everyone is different Reply with quote

I agree find a good instructor first, and get their input on mouthpieces. When I started lessons with my new teacher, he told me my cornet mouthpieces played flat. Sold them and bought what he suggested and I could hear the difference.

Have thin lips myself, I now play a Bach 1.5 C trumpet mouthpiece, Bach 2 cornet and Getzen 5 C cornet mouthpiece. Until recently I played mostly 3 C trumpet or cornet mouthpieces.

When I bought the Getzen 700 Eterna trumpet it came with two mouthpieces. The 3 C didn't suit the 700. So I tried the Bach 1.5 C and liked the sound. Played the 700 trumpet at my lesson and the teacher agreed. So I sold my 3 C mouthpieces.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tenring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I asked because I thought these were all "not" middle of the road. And I didn't know where the middle of the road was? So good old Bach 7C or 5C or Yamaha 11-14 b or c. I'll try to find the most middle of the road of those.

I didn't want to go on a safari and I felt like I was on a safari just with the one's I happen to have. The Yamaha 11 came extra with my daughters trumpet and she also got Generic 7C. I'll try her 7C.

Teacher Hunting tomorrow!

Cheers

Charles
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, find a teacher..

I'd be leery about the generic mouthpiece though.. just 'cause there's a 7C printed on the side - that means nothing-there is no standard-does not have to have any relationship to a Bach 7C.
I'd say you have a 50/50 chance of that being a piece of crap (I'm being generous)

I also agree with and support this:
cheiden wrote:
My goto mouthpiece for starting or resuming players are the Yamaha pieces from 11B4 up to the 14B4. These have relatively flat comfy rims with a relatively friendly inner edge. Pick the diameter you like and stick with it a while. If you feel the need for a somewhat larger tone then try the 11C4 through 14C4 which is the same as the previous except a slightly deeper cup. Sure some folks prefer larger or smaller diameters, deeper cups, or rounder rims, but most get along pretty well on these. It's a pretty safe place to start.

Retired Air Force Bandsman
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no real standards based on lip size. It's much more complex than just that one factor. It involves the entire physiology of the lips, teeth, jaw, etc. It's a somewhat inexact science. You just have to jump in, look at your results and make changes calculated to improve your results. Of course, knowing what changes will improve your results is an important part of this and something a qualified teacher should be able to help you with.

The above being said, I think for most players there is a range of mouthpieces that can work for them and success becomes more a matter of adapting to a mouthpiece that generally works for you rather than perpetually trying to split hairs with design changes. There are no magic mouthpieces.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use whichever mpc feels like it's a 'good fit' on your lips & teeth.
After using for a several weeks (as long as no injury or pain) think about whether the fit is still good, and if you have noticed any 'problems' with the size or shape of the rim.

As long as you're using an unmodified 'middle road' mpc, I think it would be a waste of time to worry about the details of: cup depth, and throat / backbore size.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting back mouthpiece..does it matter? Reply with quote

Tenring wrote:
I have a Getzen Severinsen Jet-Tone (no size). I struggle on low notes.

A Jet-Tone isn't a mouthpiece you want to be developing on - Jet-Tones are oriented toward high register playing with a bright, cutting sound. It's possible to play low notes but you'll *never* get a nice fat low register on one compared to larger mp's, the physics of the mouthpiece won't allow it. Try, for example - a Bach 1C if you want to experience big, fat resonant low notes.

I played on a Jet-Tone T1A for a long time because the rim was very comfortable to me - I've never liked any other Jet-Tone I've ever tried except the T1A. However the mechanics of my playing evolved over time and it became apparent the JT was holding me back. I now play on a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead that I like a lot better and have a stronger upper register than I did with the JT even though the cup is deeper and wider. When I try the T1A now it feels very restrictive.

Some suggestions from my own collection to try for better-than-a-Jet-Tone for developing playing - Bach Commercial 3S, Stork Custom Vacchiano 2D, Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz - not as shallow as the Shew Lead, Bach 7C. Among these are various rim types - the Bach Commercial series rims are different than the typical Bach mp's.

The potential list of mouthpieces to try is endless. But my suggestion is to get away from that JT and shallow mp's in general for now.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update... I purchased a Yamaha 11b4 and 11c4, both feel nice and only take a few notes to find the sweet spot. I’m starting the Clark studies and I’ve never played notes that low and a bit of a challenge but doable. One step at a time...
When I learned as a kid I progressed very quickly. I’m finding this isn’t so easy as I thought as a kid. Not that I really thought it was easy, but I don’t remember struggling ever except maybe reading new music I’ve never heard.

Thanks fella’s
Charles
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay with one mouthpiece for quite some time (think months instead of weeks).
I suggest the 11B4.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenring wrote:
Update... I purchased a Yamaha 11b4 and 11c4, both feel nice and only take a few notes to find the sweet spot. I’m starting the Clark studies and I’ve never played notes that low and a bit of a challenge but doable. One step at a time...
When I learned as a kid I progressed very quickly. I’m finding this isn’t so easy as I thought as a kid. Not that I really thought it was easy, but I don’t remember struggling ever except maybe reading new music I’ve never heard.

Thanks fella’s
Charles

If after a reasonable amount of time the Yamaha 11 size still doesn't give you easy access to the lower register don't be afraid to go up in size to a Yamaha 14 rim. That's another size that a good number of players seem to succeed with.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenring wrote:

Thanks fella’s
Charles

It’s quite possible that your adult ears and senses in general are a lot more mature now, sometimes kids are content with pretty much any sort of sound/pitch/tone quality. I sometimes have kids play a segment of something that sounds pretty terrible, but until I (diplomatically) point that out they’re fairly satisfied with what they sound like. Standards can be pretty low when you’re young and inexperienced.

Brad
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a comeback after many years of not playing and here are a few things that I experienced.

1- It will take around a year to get back the skills you once had

2- You will get discouraged as progress is slow but steady. It's not like riding a bicycle.

3- Two steps forward and one step back will happen, it's inevitable

4- Messing with equipment is not helpful

5- Develop a daily routine and stick to it

6- Taking lessons is very helpful

7- Joining a performing ensemble will aid your progress

Wishing you the best......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: