• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

tingling sensation, any ideas??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week at work the right side of my upper lip started to tingle, like I had just had novacaine a few hours before, and it was almost completely worn off. It kept up on and off for several hours, and then the right side of my lower lip did it.

I hadn't practiced more than normal, and it hasn't happened since [last thurdsday]. I can only hope it doesn't come back, but in the meantime I'm left wondering.

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be just a side affect from the dope.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie's a good girl who doesn't take dope. My guess is that it is probably from all that french kissing.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better quit kissing behind the bus next to the exhaust! Dope and Kissing all in one!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys. Be serious!

Bonnie,

Is it a different sensation than when your chops just feel tingly from playing loud? If it persists it might be a nerve thing. That is pretty rare. For this to be a result of playing you have to be playing an awful lot, playing very loud, and using a ton of pressure.

Have you had any dental work done lately?

Does this problem happen at other times, effect your speech, etc.?

If none of those things are true it probably isn't a problem and will go away. You might want to do a little reading on Bell's Palsy (unless you're a hypochondriac).

Please keep us posted.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2003-12-17 07:10 ]
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah, very funny. If I was/had ever done either of the above mentioned, I'd stop

It feels unlike anything I feel when playing/after playing, the only thing I can compare it to is when I get novacaine. I've had a LOT of dental work done, but none within the past 5 months or so. I've gotten more shots of novacaine (yeah, I guess I have been on dope, lol) than I can count. It was particularly strange because it wasn't a pain, but just tingly. But, the good news is I haven't felt it again. If it does return, I'll certainly look into it, and let you all know what turns up.

Bonnie

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetplayer87 on 2003-12-17 07:28 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,

I've had something similar. I get numbness sometimes that feels like it's centered right where the septum of my nose meets my upper lip. I freaked out and went to the doctor immediately (as in, left the practice room and went straight to Dr. B's office) after it started a couple years ago. He called it a neuropathy. I think he said it's the same as a pinched nerve. It happened right as I was starting an embouchure change and I was fooling around with different mouthpiece placements. He said I probably put my 'piece just in such a place on my lip that it "stunned" a nerve. I lightened my practice schedule a bit and quit using the new experimental embouchure and it went away after a week or two. It rarely comes back, and when it does, it's not nearly as severe or as long-lasting as the first time.

Interestingly, the same thing happened in my left hand right after I got a new horn. I wasn't used to having a first valve ring, so my left-hand position changed slightly and I stunned a nerve in my left forefinger. That one comes back occasionally, but since I know what it is, it doesn't freak me out anymore.

My doctor told me as long as I didn't have any difficulty with movement (which could indicate more serious problems) it should be just fine. Of course, it's your call as to whether you see your doc about this, but even if you don't go specifically for this, remind yourself to ask about it at your next checkup.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
John
theblueone2002@aol.com
LunAtic-Tones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it but in a quite different situation.

I was playing some loud pieces with the school band and I am the only one(besides my juniors who didnt make any sound at all...) to play the 3rd trumpet part of the piece whereas other parts had alt least 2-3 actives.The conducter was like...more, more....can't hear you guys...and I have to do an ff instead of an mf...
At the end of the practice, my upper lips was like tingling and quite numb. I cant buzz on the mouthpiece. I did take a break about 30 minutes after that.

What I found out was that the 3rd part has quite a lot of pedal notes and I was playing it in ff. The lips create more vibration the low register. Thus my lips was vibrating to the extreme and I got that sensation on my lips.

What I did after the break was playing in the high register as soft as possible and the stars on my lips are gone.
Maybe you can try that whenever you get it again.

Happy Hollidays!!

Lun

[ This Message was edited by: LunAtic-Tones on 2003-12-17 08:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: LunAtic-Tones on 2003-12-17 08:37 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: