• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Value of a Vincent Bach trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicko620 wrote:
Here's a show video of me trying to play just so you can see the movement of the pistons and hear the sound:
https://youtu.be/RyCijh85AYw

Sounds good!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Gabrieli wrote:
To the OP

I feel that our american colleagues are not being very nice or helpful to you.
Yes, there are a couple of dents and it is not completely clear to me fom the photos, whether the bell is creased or not.
You should have these things fixed by a competent repairer before selling.
Even in Germany it would cost only ca. 50 Euros to fix I think.
To say your horn is "pretty beat up" is simply not true.
However the laquer is obviously very bad and after having the dents taken out I would strip the laquer myself and sell it as in raw brass, which is popular among some players these days. whether you polish the brass before selling is up to you.
Within Europe selling on Vioworld.de might be a good idea. No fees or customs for anybody involved. If the valves are ok - reasonable compression - I would try ca.1000 Euros. I hope this is more helpful to you in Bulgaria.

I must admit that I have no idea what the market is like in Europe or even Bulgaria.

However, I do take exception to the bolded portions of the reply above.

While my comments might not be "nice" they are accurate and should be helpful. If nothing else the OP now knows that, of the 10 people commenting on this thread, more than 10% have a negative opinion of the instrument's value. Thus the OP can adjust his asking price to take that into account, realizing that he most likely won't get a buyer at the high end of the price range.

In my opinion, based on the pictures alone, this horn is the very definition of beat up. To say otherwise is simply not true. I would never purchase a horn in this condition for any price. Others certainly might feel differently.

While one could indeed imagine that this might be a hidden gem, based on how most trumpet players treat their instruments, the outer damage is highly indicative of possible internal issues also.

I am sorry if this offends, but it is my honest opinion.

I had not looked at the pics before, but just did, and I agree with LittleRusty. That horn looks to me like the condition is way past being only cosmetically challenged, I would have to guess that it’s at the very least full of red rot as well.

OP: I’m not just “taking shots” at your horn here, my opinions are based on the pics. Personally, I do not care very much about appearances, but I would definitely pass on any horn in the condition that your appears to be in, unless it was VERY inexpensive.

No offense intended, and if the reason you posted this to begin with was to get opinions on it’s value, it looks like that’s what you received here.

Brad
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips is correct I think in saying there is no - and was no silver plate .

Perhaps "beat up" means something different to Americans than to the British.

To me it would mean having lots of dents; the pictures only show a couple of small easily removable dents. I don’t think that laquer in a very bad state necessarily affects the playability of the horn. This is not what I - coming from the UK - understand as "beat up".
For the OP it is not really of interest what it would fetch in the USA. I can only repeat that if he delaquered it so it looked better and if the valves are ok - which does not mean that they merely go up and down - he could possibly get as much as 1000 Euros for it in Europe.
At present on ebaykleinanzeigen.de in Germany (we do not have Craigslist here) there are a couple of Strads, which to me look to have more wear than the OPs, going for an asking price of ca.900 Euros. It is not really relevant or helpful to say what the instrument might fetch in the USA. However I must say, I have seen instruments in this condition on ebay.com go for an awful lot more than the 50 dollars some claim it is worth.
He could put it on ebay.de and see what he gets but before he does it, he should get rid of the remaining laquer and polish it up and make better photos.
I hope this is helpful to the original poster and wish him very well.
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wrong.

Craigslist does actually exist in Germany. But hardly anybody uses is here and I had certainly never heard of it apart from in an american context.
It is not a big thing like in the USA. On Craigslist Berlin there is not a single trumpet at this moment!

If you want to buy or sell used instruments here in Germany vioworld.de and ebaykleinanzeigen.de (small ads - no fees) are the places to look.

In France leboncoin.fr is the biggest thing it seems to me.
There are more Bachs there than in Germany but the OPs instrument would still go in France for ca. 700-800 I think.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does facebook marketplace exist in Europe? That's where I've bought recent trumpets. You could put it on there for 800 or a 1000 and see what folk think, but if there's red rot I'm guessing a fair price is more like 500-700.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabrieli wrote:
I can only repeat that if he delaquered it so it looked better and if the valves are ok - which does not mean that they merely go up and down - he could possibly get as much as 1000 Euros for it in Europe.

I agree that doing something with the lacquer will help.

My main concern is the pattern of lacquer wear. It appears the lacquer is degrading in little spots, not due to what I imagine normal abrasions would cause.

I hope for the OP’s sake that you are right about the value.

Edit: just for clarification, here is the definition of beat up as I was using it.

beat-up
[ˈˌbēdˈˌəp]
ADJECTIVE
informal
(of a thing) worn out by overuse; in a state of disrepair.

Peace
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I had not looked at the pics before, but just did, and I agree with LittleRusty. That horn looks to me like the condition is way past being only cosmetically challenged, I would have to guess that it’s at the very least full of red rot as well.

I took a look and agree. Dent-wise this horn looks just fine. Lacquer wear is present, but not really a big deal. However, the red-ish spots on bell, tuning slide, and valve section is rather worrisome. The leadpipe is really pervasive with the same condition. It's really hard to tell without holding it and seeing it in person, but these could be indicators of serious internal corrosion.

There are sad looking school horns that come in to the shop that look like this. Sometimes they're just cosmetic, but usually they have serious red-rot issues that a simple chem/ultrasonic cleaning won't alleviate.

Red Rot in the leadpipe and tuning slide happens, but when it's in the valve section and bell....

Again, it's hard to tell from pictures, but that doesn't look great.

I don't know Bach values in Europe, but they're common over here. The Bach Stradivarius with the 37 Bell is the most common Bach Strad model. New, these sell for around $3,000. Used prices range from $1,200 to $1,500 if it's in very good to excellent condition. It's hard to guess value for something in this condition, but it's significantly lower.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: