• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpeters that can't play

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a head squad leader at southwest high school here in Fort Worth Texas. Our band has been in a rebuilding mode since we got our new director last year. The trumpet section is especially weak. There are basically two great players one okay player and the rest of the people are just in band cause they have nothing better to do. I did okay last year basically I accomplished very little besides helping them learn their parts and how to march. I want to know the best things to talk about, to work on, the best ways to keep them interested etc.. I really have to try my best to keep them interested because our band director is quite a pain in the ass, and almost every player came to me constantly during this last season trying to quit. If there are things you all did during school that helped I would like to know more about them. Any traditions you had no matter how weird or kooky. I need help. On the playing front here is our section in a nutshell. Two of us are great players (1st and 2nd alternate in the Texas all state band) one of us is a good player who is getting his braces of soon and should be phenomenal (if he stays the same as before he got his braces) and six or seven players that just plain cant keep up (like sixth grade trumpet players) no one out of the top three can hit a g on top of the staff.

I need help!!!
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Cowtown for 12 years; taught scuba. Luved it!
Get a caravan together and go to NTSU in Denton the Thursday preceding Easter. Doublecheck, but that's the annual date for all the Lab bands to play. Catch the One O'clock Lab Band for sure. Get there early and hang late. Meet the trumpeters -- They're approachable! Also check to see when any NTSU clinics are given. NTSU has fall concerts, too.
That alone should inspire your tpt section.
There's a TCU tpter here on trumpetherald.com, right on your side of town. Seek him out. (I used to live a half-mile from the TCU tennis courts.)

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, I'm not sure of the exact dates yet, but talk to your director and your trumpet section about coming to TCU to see Michael Sach's masterclass. I think it is coming up in about two or three weeks. If seeing an incredible player like that doesn't motivate them to do better, then I really don't know what will! I'll get you the dates as soon as I find out.

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've tried to get the to do things like that before. We even got permission to get out of school for the whole day and go hang out at tcu and go to the Marvin Stamn masterclass. Nobody wanted to go? Only one thing we've done got them interested at all, DCI. We went to the Summer Music Games in Dallas and stayed all day at the Madison Scouts practice. You could see their faces light up when the show started. I'm thinking of trying to go out for the jazz bands I think that seeing that kin of music is a little more inspiring than most classical.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 21:26 ]
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to try thing's like that, and I'll be driving next year so I probly will. I've picked up some good things over spring break so I'll have some things in my head for next time I'm in a pinch, thanks all.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to try thing's like that, and I'll be driving next year so I probly will. I've picked up some good things over spring break so I'll have some things in my head for next time I'm in a pinch, thanks all.
The General
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Andrew!

This is a really good topic!

I'm sure that not every single one of the "duds", as you refer to them, is hopeless. You, as the Section Leader, need to let everyone know that you are working WITH them. Create a team, and encourage everyone to do their best.

It may be a good idea to run these ideas by your Director, but why not institute a "Challenge" policy within your Section? Maybe somebody is a little tired of playing the 3rd part, and would like to move up to the 2nd part. Or maybe someone on the 2nd part would like to move up to 1st. This could actually be done for an individual musical selection, or within a selection, so that you "Big Dogs" can take a little breather.

A little friendly peer pressure, or competition is very healthy. There is competition in every aspect of our lives. Why should Music be any different?

Since everyone enjoyed DCI so much, why not invite your section over to your house to watch some DCI videos? You don't need your driver's license to do that. Your parents might even be so impressed by your leadership abilities, that they'll handle the Pizza and refreshments. You might even want to bring the Horns out, and do a little playing right after watching the videos, while the excitement is there.

Be careful... this could be such a positive experience that you not only accomplish musical goals, but you actually become friends!

Have fun with it! Remember, we PLAY Music!

Best of Luck!

Bruce Lee
http://www.northernbrass.com

[ This Message was edited by: The General on 2002-03-17 08:31 ]
unclebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shs-trumpet
I agree with doing the challenge thing to motivate your trumpet players. It will really motivate the underclassmen if they can challenge an upperclassman for his "chair" or place in the section, and you can garuntee it will motivate the upperclassman to practice to keep the underclassman from taking his spot. This worked in my highschool very well, and believe it or not we all still got along very good too. And yes, watch those DCI videos and get out those Maynard recordings for your trumpet section to hear.
Jerry
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I am going through the same situation right now. I am the section leader of my trumpet section. There are 2 good trumpeters in my section me, and a dude that plays 1st and 2nd part, and the rest have never even broken out of the limits of the staff. I am gonna have a lotta after school rehearsals next year so our section will sound good. We have a pretty good little sixth grade trumpet player coming up next year. He has a pretty good A above the staff for a sixth grader. BTW, do you know Mr. Wheeler SHS_Trumpet? He used to teach at one of the schools in FW.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr wheeler must have been before my time if he was at southwest high school. There are about 15 high schools in fort worth so that's another factor.
Greatest Trumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get really, really frustrated with people in my band because they don't play good. My trumpet section is just GREAT and thats no exaggeration, but there are a few (the thirds) who just plain SUCK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: