• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking at maybe a Monette - what size??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CB_93

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Looking at maybe a Monette - what size?? Reply with quote

I play a Bach 5B given to me by Phil Smith. It works better than any other piece has for me. However I just got a Yamaha Chicago Gen 2 and I’ve noticed that my upper register is pretty flat. I k ow it’s not the horn. I recently played a monette mouthpiece and I noticed how much better the upper register was in tune.

My question is, what size mo eye mouthpiece would be similar to what I play now? I’m open to different throat and cup since but I do like the rim size of the 5B. I don’t want to go bigger in rim diameter if I can help it.
Carol Brass Bb/A Picc
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to disuade you from trying Monettes (I have played them on and off for years), but have you considered having a 5B cut for C trumpet? I have had this done by Osmun with great success. You may also consider using a 5B cornet mouthpiece with the GR adapters. That is what I use on my Yamalone and I'm very satisfied.

Having said that, the Monette 5 has a similar diameter, but the rim shape is more round. You can check it out on the Kanstul comparator site, which is still functional for the time being...

HTH

Ben
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send BJ an email at Monette. He's awesome. He also responds fairly quickly. He can steer you in the right direction.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see. You got a new horn but on your present mouthpiece, the upper register is flat.

You say your upper register used to be in tune but on your old mouthpiece and on your old horn.

Wouldn't t make sense to use your present mouthpiece for s period of time to see if you and it get acclimated to your new horn?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Let's see. You got a new horn but on your present mouthpiece, the upper register is flat.

You say your upper register used to be in tune but on your old mouthpiece and on your old horn.

Wouldn't t make sense to use your present mouthpiece for s period of time to see if you and it get acclimated to your new horn?

Agree with this too...but if you really want to burn some money....email BJ.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Agree with this too...but if you really want to burn some money....email BJ.

☝️

Brad
CB_93

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! You’re right. I’ll give it some time to see what happens. The main reason I say I’m looking to change is because I recently played someone’s and did the octave test and noticed a huge difference in my upper register tuning on the monette. So, I have been thinking about it for a while. But I might look at some others too. I hear good things about Pickett mouthpieces. They are a lot cheaper lol
Carol Brass Bb/A Picc
yakbass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from a Bach 5B to a Monette B6S1 Prana Resonance. After a short adjustment I found my high end more confident and a very nice , slightly warmer tone. I am glad I persevered through the adjustment time to arrived in a more enjoyable place.

YMMV,
Mike
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB_93 wrote:
Lol! You’re right. I’ll give it some time to see what happens. The main reason I say I’m looking to change is because I recently played someone’s and did the octave test and noticed a huge difference in my upper register tuning on the monette. So, I have been thinking about it for a while. But I might look at some others too. I hear good things about Pickett mouthpieces. They are a lot cheaper lol

With the caveat of you giving things some more time...

I love my Monette. It is a very particular size, and it is the one for me. I’ve tried a few sizes around the size I have, and it’s just not there for me. With that said, as a slightly cheaper option, I have a Reeves mouthpiece that is REALLY close, and it is my trusty backup. As the cheapest option, I have Curry that I will play if I need to.

Those are the models that work for me. Before some of the (“you should only play one mouthpiece ever in your life till you die”) folks jump on me....I’ll say those are the mouthpieces that work for me, in particular, when I looked for a backup to my Monette.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that trips me up about switching to Monette pieces or other "nonconventional" mouthpieces, that have a shorter shank and/or more open throat, is that they play great and like you stated, have better intonation- however- its kind of difficult to go back and forth with other pieces once you make that switch. Its basically a different tuning system, so if you play a monette on your C trumpet and a Bach on your B flat trumpet or flugelhorn it may be problematic.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB_93 wrote:
The main reason I say I’m looking to change is because I recently played someone’s and did the octave test and noticed a huge difference in my upper register tuning on the monette.

soooo... What size did you try and what did you like/dislike about it? Was it their C length? Classic or Prana? It sounds like you already have a lot to go on, if you think about it.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
The one thing that trips me up about switching to Monette pieces or other "nonconventional" mouthpieces, that have a shorter shank and/or more open throat, is that they play great and like you stated, have better intonation- however- its kind of difficult to go back and forth with other pieces once you make that switch. Its basically a different tuning system, so if you play a monette on your C trumpet and a Bach on your B flat trumpet or flugelhorn it may be problematic.

+1
CB_93

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
CB_93 wrote:
The main reason I say I’m looking to change is because I recently played someone’s and did the octave test and noticed a huge difference in my upper register tuning on the monette.

soooo... What size did you try and what did you like/dislike about it? Was it their C length? Classic or Prana? It sounds like you already have a lot to go on, if you think about it.

I ordered one of their new tradition plus pieces. They look to have great reviews and can be used for Bb or C. May be a good entry into monette. I have also ordered a Pickettbrass piece similar to my 5B but with a larger throat and slightly more bowl shaped cup. We’ll see how the two stack up. I’d prefer using the Pickett, as I’ve always tried to avoid the monette hype. And I like the fact that I can change out cups and backbores.
Carol Brass Bb/A Picc
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tradition Plus seems like a sensible choice but it may have been wiser to just buy the one you already tried and liked. But that's just me, maybe.
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Another thumbs up for Monette mouthpieces Reply with quote

I agree with others here. Contact them directly (email / call). I’m a 3C guy and they set me up with a B4S S2. It is now my absolute favorite mouthpiece. Planning on getting a B4SD and B4S FL (for deeper, darker tones).
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B4S is, as I remember well, bigger than a regular 3C, more like a 1 1/2C.
But it is some time ago so...
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

It's definitely not a 1.5 but it is bigger than a 3C in almost every way. Some players find the switch from a 3C to a B4 to be too big but many, I believe, fight the equipment less and the added efficiency makes up for the change in size. Others may be more suited to a B5 instead. BJ at Monette is a friendly expert and can easily explain all of the best options for an individual. He's good with emails too.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
delano wrote:

It's definitely not a 1.5 but it is bigger than a 3C in almost every way. Some players find the switch from a 3C to a B4 to be too big but many, I believe, fight the equipment less and the added efficiency makes up for the change in size. Others may be more suited to a B5 instead. BJ at Monette is a friendly expert and can easily explain all of the best options for an individual. He's good with emails too.

Be careful about nomenclature, as you may be talking about two different pieces:

Monette's "4-series" actually comprises two different mouthpieces, and the letter "S" can get you in some trouble, depending on the vintage you have in mind. Current Monette models with an "S" in their designation are of the 'Slap' series - a cup shape upgrade which began shortly after the shop changed over to CNC machinery, and Dave began redesigning small tweaks to his entire mouthpiece line. As an example, for many years I played a C1-1 on my C trumpet, now a C1-1S1 is my main solo/orchestral mouthpiece, with a C1-1S5 for much of my pops work.

The wrinkle is that the late, great Lew Soloff, was a longtime friend of Dave's and for playing his Monette, Dave designed a mouthpiece for Lew that closely resembled his Mt. Vernon 3C. This mouthpiece was originally the B4S, a ever so slightly bigger variant of the B4. Now, with the 'Slap' series, Lew's upgraded design is the B4S S2, and the upgrade to the B4 is the B4S3...

Here's Monette's comparison chart: https://www.monette.net/comparison-chart

And, for fun - here's a great article by Ivan Hunter of Jaeger Brass on the 3C vs 1.5C false dilemma: http://www.jaegerbrass.com/products/mouthpieces.html

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monettes are so different from most other mouthpieces that the size equivalents mean very little. I play the B2 but would never consider playing it's "equivalent", the Bach 1 1/4 C. On non-Monette I play much smaller stuff. Around Bach 7 or 10 1/2.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
Monettes are so different from most other mouthpieces that the size equivalents mean very little. I play the B2 but would never consider playing it's "equivalent", the Bach 1 1/4 C. On non-Monette I play much smaller stuff. Around Bach 7 or 10 1/2.

A love that great obviously makes everything possible, for everybody else the reality will probably be different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: