• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Xeno vs Jupiter XO (Bb trumpet)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
komar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Xeno vs Jupiter XO (Bb trumpet) Reply with quote

Hello folks,

I'm still on my quest to find a second hand replacement for my ageing Yamaha 6310z. I have read a lot of stuff about many brands and models, and I think I kind of know what I want now.
Pro horn, ML bore, between 1200€ and 1800€, second hand, nice projection, bright sound (mostly playing marching/brass band NOLA style), easy to play.
I've narrowed my choices around 2 models : Yamaha Xeno or Jupiter XO 1602. I've got the feeling that they might be similar regarding playability and sound, but with a big gap in price. And I think it's gonna be easier to resell a Xeno if I want to change than a Jupiter.

Does any of you have experience with those 2 instruments and can give me highlights on their differences ?

Thanks in advance
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Jupiter 1600i "Ingram" model? It has a medium bore like your 6310Z and is designed for jazz and lead playing, like the Shew horn.

You can't go wrong with XO or Yamaha. Both companies make excellent products and have consistent quality. The 8335 Xeno and 1602 XO are both Bach Strad derivatives, so you may not like them if you're accustomed to the 6310Z.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by "Xeno", you mean one of the 8335 variants, then I have both. The assumption that they would play similar is NOT accurate. They are quite different in tonal predisposition, response and feel.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the price gives you an idea of the difference (QC, materials used, R&D, and what the market is willing to pay for them).. XO's are good horns but in tonal spectrum, and overall quality, they don't compare to Yamaha Xeno's or any other top line horns.
In many ways you get what you pay for.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both. Either might give you good service. They are both roughly in the Bach ballpark, but respond differently to various mouthpiece cups/bore diameters/backbores. You may or may not prefer the XO valves. With my setup the XO lights up more when pushed while the Yamaha has a warmer/broader sound throughout the range.
komar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks a lot for all those information. Maybe I had misconception about those horns. I'll have to play them to make up my mind.
I'll keep you advised.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: