• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Projection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Projection Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, the conductor told me he barely hears me, even though my collegues and musicians in front of me thought I played loud.

I guess this is a lack of projection.

How can I overcome this ?

Thanks

JiCe
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Projection Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, the conductor told me he barely hears me, even though my collegues and musicians in front of me thought I played loud.

Thanks

JiCe

If your fellow musicians heard you I would suggest the conductor should go get hearing aids!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thoughts...

Are you playing into the stand? the floor? the back of the clarinets infront of you?

Could be a tone thing? (Concept of tone and ability to produce a strong core in your tone) Your tone could be less focussed than those around you. And it could be an equipment thing. (Some horns don't project like others).

Sit up, look right at the conductor, point you bell at him/her and raise your eyebrows (like you're working harder)..

Lessons? Routine?
Long tones, Flow studies, Lyrical studies, Slur Studies.. etc.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a sound that projects is easy to hear from the front of the bell, cultivating the type of sound that projects from behind the bell requires a really good model. If the conductor has commented that he is having trouble hearing you, it could be that you have a lot of the "fundamental" in your sound and tension in your approach to sound production is damping the higher overtones that allow a sound to project. This post gives a good example (sorry the pictures aren't working anymore).

I would suggest finding a player in town that you've heard from the front of the bell that has a sound you know easily carries to the back of the hall. Have a lesson with them and get a feel for what that sound is like sitting beside them (i.e. behind the bell). I've found that these players sound surprisingly quiet from behind the bell! Most likely there is tension in a number of areas in your playing, and reduction of that tension will allow your sound to vibrate more freely and project.

The exercises in Special Studies for Trumpet by John Daniel are an excellent way to cultivate healthy sound production.

Good luck.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of 'projection' might be caused by your 'sound concept' of how the notes should mesh with the overall ensemble sound.
If the notes are played in a manner so they completely blend with the overall sound, then those notes might seem to not project. And that is fine for harmony and background filler.
But for notes that the audience is expected to hear distinctly (solo, counter melody, special effect, etc.), it can be helpful to have those notes/phrases stand-out.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a simple test to try. Download a decibel app on your phone (I like Decibel X). Put your phone on your music stand with the stand 3 feet from the front of your bell, and play a second line G at a mf. This should be a quality sound with little tension in your approach to sound production and will give you a good baseline for your perceived decibels output in front of the bell (typically between 85 and 90 dB).

An increase in decibels from 85 dB to 95 dB (i.e. 10 dB) is perceived as twice as loud to an observer listening to you play.

Try a crescendo on the second line G. Are you able to increase the dB to above 100 dB? If not, you are probably introducing tension which is damping the higher overtones. Try the G above the staff at a mf. Then crescendo. Are you stuck under 100 dB?

Players that focus on the higher overtones in the sound (i.e. complex, harmonically rich sounds), are easily able to play up to 105 dB on the G above the staff and may get to 110 dB or slightly above. 105 dB is twice as loud as a player that is at 95 dB and will clearly be heard in the hall. Getting to 115 dB gives even more presence in the hall, but many players introduce significant tension when playing louder (i.e. more physical effort) without increasing the dB at all.

The key is refining your sound to assure the higher overtones are always present, and then just a small amount of physical effort is required to increase the dynamic (dB).

If you find that the Decibel app shows that you are topping out well under 100 dB, it would be worthwhile to check out the John Daniel book and get some lessons with a player that has the sound you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions. There is one more possible reason. Bell flare and horn construction. I have a cornet that seems to really put out sound laterally. Sitting in a section I have had people say I'm too loud. Yet at the front of the room no such issue. In recordings it comes off lacking in overtones. Interesting eh?

So what are you playing?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Reaban wrote:

The key is refining your sound to assure the higher overtones are always present, and then just a small amount of physical effort is required to increase the dynamic (dB).

This has been my experience exactly. Playing with rich, high overtones at 80% volume is perceived by the audience as WAY louder than playing at 100% volume but blatty and without the nice overtones.

Back when I used to play in orchestras (this was years ago) much better players than I would talk about having a sound that "soars above" the rest of the orchestra. You could really hear it when they would do it, the first trumpet would get such an incredible sound that I would try and support over on 3rd chair. But anyway, it was all about those high overtones, the sparkle and resonance, that made it just absolutely dominate the hall with a beautiful, unforced sound.

Listen to those opera singers that fill up a huge concert hall with just their voice. They're not just singing "loud," they are singing with a profound amount of harmonics so their sound carries up and above the orchestra. Trumpets have to do the same!

I find it incredible that the great orchestral players can play at a ppp dynamic and still be heard clearly in the back of the hall. How is that? Because even though the dynamic is very soft, their resonance is so strong that you can hear them a long way away.

So I guess my point is that playing loud, but without those high overtones, doesn't carry into the hall, while playing with a lower volume but with the proper overtones and sparkle will project all the way to the cheap seats.

Good luck!
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
All good suggestions. There is one more possible reason. Bell flare and horn construction. I have a cornet that seems to really put out sound laterally. Sitting in a section I have had people say I'm too loud. Yet at the front of the room no such issue. In recordings it comes off lacking in overtones. Interesting eh?

So what are you playing?

+1. Great point. I play Schilkes for my commercial playing. I have both a B3 and an X3. Both of these horns are large bore and as far as I can tell, similar in every way except for the bells. The B3 has a tighter bell flare that the X3. Both horns sound and play great, but the B3 cuts through (projects) far better than the X3. I find the same with a Bach 37 or 43 vs. a 72.
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what are you playing?

Sonare trumpet and GR mouthpiece.

Today, I'll try to ' aim ' at the conductor's face, but I admit that my natural posture is more downwards pointing bell so I am not confortable with raising up...
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was in college and playing in orchestras, my instructor had me think of my sound *starting* about 3 feet in front of the bell, and "spinning" it towards the back of the hall (think of a bullet leaving a gun and how it spins).

Equipment can have a factor in the projection, as well, as has already been mentioned. Mine, back then, was a Bach 25A/237.

The analogy worked for me, but if all else fails, stare at the conductor, do the eyebrow trick and you should be fine.

Best,

John
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the eyebrow trick. Wish I had heard of that when I was playing in orchestras still...
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the word "spinning" in the above post related to resonance and a sound that projects, I think this post gives another tangible way to think about spin in the sound that is a little more tangible.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to GR!
You backbore might not match the horn and GR can fix that easily.
R. Tomasek
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Loudness varies proprtionally with square of distance.

Quote:

No. It is a lack of loudness at the conductor's position. Forget about projection. It is a mythical concept as defined by most players.

Quote:

Play louder.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Talk to GR!
You backbore might not match the horn and GR can fix that easily.
R. Tomasek

Another vote for this. Back when I was playing GR, I loved the ease and response. But the sound just didn't reach what I was looking for. It's worth taking a look at. Which GR are you playing?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Play louder.

I think this needs more description.

If a player is not playing to the center of the pitch, playing louder will require a significant increase in physical effort (blowing harder) without resulting in a perceived increase in volume from the conductor / audience perspective. So one way to play louder, without increasing physical effort is playing to the pitch center of each note and making sure that you stay in the center of each note all the time (aligning intonation with where the horn wants to play).

Another way to play louder, once you are playing to the center of each note, is to realize that the combination of many overtones makes up the volume of the overall sound coming out of the bell. Finding a way to get more volume coming out of the overtones that are between 2,000 Hz and 4,000 Hz, where human hearing is the most sensitive, will immediately allow you to sound louder to the conductor / audience. So, playing louder can be accomplished without a significant increase in physical effort by increasing the overall percentage of volume in the higher overtones by altering the timbre of the tone or cultivating a more forward sound.

If you are playing a third line B natural [i.e. a concert A (440 Hz)], if you can get more volume out of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th overtones (880 Hz – 1760 Hz) than the fundamental (440 Hz), you are more likely to be heard out in the hall. If you are playing a B natural above the staff [i.e. a concert A (880 Hz)], getting more volume in the 1760 Hz – 3,520 Hz range (2nd through 4th overtones) will clearly be in that sweet spot where human hearing is most sensitive.

So if 95% of your volume is coming from the fundamental, and 5% from the higher overtones, due to unwanted tension that is damping the higher overtones, your sound will not "carry". If 80% of your volume is coming from the 2nd through 4th overtones, with only 20% of the volume in the fundamental, your sound will easily "project".

This form of playing louder, with a laser focus on sound quality and great intonation, as well as finding the timbre (tone) that jumps out of the horn most easily, is the best way to get the sound to "project" to the back of the hall. It also requires significant daily work in playing very high quality fundamentals and laser focus to stay with this sound all the time (hearing it clearly in your head).

Here's an excellent post from Peter Bond with suggestions on how to get this sound.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a solo, then you'll have to play louder than you normally do for the given dynamic. (The conductor should also make the rest of the band play softer for good balance, but that's on him/her.)

Make sure that your sound is full across phrases. I sometimes hear people play some notes strong while others are muffled. Think horizontally, across phrases, not vertically from note to note, so the conductor hears complete phrases clearly. You can/should still do crescendos/decrescendos, but don't let your sound fade so much that it gets lost.

If you're an upstream player, it's easier to aim the bell over your stand so your sound projects out into the room. But if you're a downstream player, you'll need to move the stand and play off to the side so your sound won't be reflected backward so much.

You should play louder, as Kalijah mentioned, with a style that fits the music. For example, if it's supposed to sound relaxed, easy and lyrical, then make sure it does, even as you play strong enough so the conductor and audience can hear it. Good luck.
Piccolo Stomvi
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still volume and perception. I am not assuming that one is not playing with the best sound possible in the moment.

Playing near the resonance center does contribute to efficiency and more sound for a given air power input.

All players have the overtones in the sound. Assuming an acceptable sound. Players sound louder because they ARE louder.

Efficient players aren't necessarily louder than less efficient ones. They simply can get sound with less effort regardless of what that loudness is.

Some players sound louder because they ARE louder. Not because they "project" better.

The perception by the listener can be affected by several things which the player has no control over.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl,

Quote:
All players have the overtones in the sound. Assuming an acceptable sound. Players sound louder because they ARE louder.

Considering what the OP has written ("my colleagues and musicians in front of me thought I played loud"), there must be something in your statement that is missing the intent of his question, and why I commented that simply saying "Play louder" requires more description.

All players have the overtones in the sound

While this is certainly a true statement, it’s not a complete picture of what’s happening.

A player’s sonic signature tells the story better. Here’s an example with two players playing the same pitch (both playing a forte dynamic):

Player A (with all the overtones in the sound):

Fundamental.....97 dB
2nd Overtone....60 dB
3rd Overtone.....50 dB
4th Overtone.....45 dB
5th Overtone.....50 dB
6th – 20th OT....35 – 45 dB

Player B (with all the overtones in the sound):

Fundamental.....87 dB
2nd Overtone....105 dB
3rd Overtone.....107 dB
4th Overtone.....102 dB
5th Overtone.....98 dB
6th – 20th OT....35 – 92 dB

Player A (at 97 dB) may sound loud to players in the section and just in front of them, but the audience has trouble hearing them. Player B, half as loud on the fundamental (at 87 dB) and is barely heard by players in the section (i.e. behind the bell), but is twice as loud as Player A in the 3rd Overtone (107 dB) (versus Player A's Fundamental) and is clearly heard by the audience.

Assume an acceptable sound

In the link to the Peter Bond post, he mentioned a "polite", "inoffensive" concert band tone and how this tone "isn’t going to project anywhere". How many players fall into this category? This certainly is an "acceptable" sound (i.e. polite, inoffensive), and I’m guessing that FAR more players have this sound quality than the player whose sound jumps out into the hall.

Quote:
Some players sound louder because they ARE louder. Not because they "project" better.

I attended a New York Philharmonic concert years ago in Vail, Colorado. Matt Muckey and Ethan Bensdorf were in the trumpet section for the Beethoven Piano Concert on the first half playing rotary trumpets. The orchestra sounded great and the trumpet section sound was certainly present and easily heard by the audience. For the second half (Sibelius 2), Phil Smith, Joe Alessi, and Phil Myers came on stage. The trumpet players switched to C piston trumpets. It was like night and day between the sound of the orchestra on the concerto versus the symphony! The overall volume of the group sounded like it doubled with the addition of these three players! The math simply doesn’t make sense, that three players can play "louder" than the other 100 or so players on stage.

I would offer that projection is a word that implies comparison. If Player A from the example above is sitting beside Player B, Player A appears to be louder from behind the bell. But the conductor says, "Player A, I need you to play louder". When Player A exerts more physical effort (i.e. Blows harder), maybe his sonic signature changes to look like this:

...............……….WAS.........………After Comment
Fundamental.....97 dB………………98 dB
2nd Overtone....60 dB………………75 dB
3rd Overtone.....50 dB………………60 dB
4th Overtone.....45 dB..............55 dB
5th Overtone.....50 dB..............60 dB
6th – 20th OT....35 – 45 dB........35 – 55 dB

He simply can’t play as loud as Player B. The magnitude in dB in Player A's overtones isn't even close to Player B. Peter Bond says, "If you overblow or harden the lips, the sound will go dead (no projection)". This is clearly what is happening to Player A.

So, I would offer a definition of projection for the purpose of this discussion. A player who’s sound projects has significant activity (magnitude in dB) in overtones 2 through 4 compared to the fundamental, whereas a player whose sound doesn’t project has less activity (less magnitude in dB) in overtones 2 through 4 compared to the fundamental. Another more common term is simply resonance, which I prefer to use, but seems to be related to projection.

To the original poster, "play louder" is certainly what is being requested, but for many players requires a far more nuanced approach to achieve that result. I would suggest reading Peter Bond’s post very closely. The John Daniel book is also excellent to help move your sonic signature from the Player A example to the Player B example using a well-conceived and progressive practice routine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: