• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn intonation below low C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Flugelhorn intonation below low C Reply with quote

I don’t play flugelhorn very often and just have a beat up doublers horn.
That being said, is a flat...like very flat, lower register at all common? I mean, it’s so bad I can hardly play below middle C without cringing.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flugelhorn intonation below low C Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:

You kind of answered your own question.. Flugels are notorious for intonation problems anyway.. then a doubler and you don't play it often.

A mouthpiece that matches the horn better might improve the pitch - a deeper one might mask the pitch with a less focused tone.. But still lipstick on a pig.

Beyond other mouthpieces, try tuning the between the pitches, so your upper a touch sharp and the lower closer.. practice with the horn and play a little down to pitch with the mid-range.
Or step up to a better quality ax... Yamaha 631, Adams Sonic, Getzen, Conn.. etc.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Flugelhorn intonation below low C Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
That being said, is a flat...like very flat, lower register at all common? I mean, it’s so bad I can hardly play below middle C without cringing.

A poorly designed flugelhorn can be horribly out of tune.

Acceptable trumpet technique can be horrible for flugelhorn.

A good flugelhorn plays in tune.

Good flugelhorn technique can make you a much better trumpet player.

Get a good flugelhorn.

Learn good flugelhorn technique.

Be a happy trumpet player!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is much more fun to play a good instrument (as Martin Schmidt who built my rotary said to me) ... but I fully understand monetary, time, and other restrictions. IF you have the chance get a good flugel and practice regularly. It will help your trumpet playing as well but may take some time.

Trying to tinker with the horn may work ... or not.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a good, used Flügelhorn of better quality. I play a Yamaha 631 and its intonation is great. Note that the Yamaha 731 will also have great intonation (the only difference between the 631 and the 731 is the material the bell is made out of, rose brass and yellow brass respectively).

Cheers,

John Mohan
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, the mouthpiece of a flugel can make a tremendous difference in intonation. Flugels, however, are notorious for intonation problems - even some well-made, relatively expensive ones.

Also, pm sent to OP.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that dialing in the right mouthpiece makes a huge difference in the intonation of a flugel, particularly in that lower register you're talking about.

You just have to try a bunch and figure out something that works for you. I eventually had to go the custom route, mixing and matching rims, cups, and shanks until I found something that had the tone and intonation I was looking for.

Good luck!
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
As mentioned above, the mouthpiece of a flugel can make a tremendous difference in intonation. Flugels, however, are notorious for intonation problems - even some well-made, relatively expensive ones.

Also, pm sent to OP.

Yeah I’ve experienced this same flat low register issue on some really high-end flugels as well, it was very disheartening...
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
JonathanM wrote:

Also, pm sent to OP.

Yeah I’ve experienced this same flat low register issue on some really high-end flugels as well, it was very disheartening...

Ironically, of all the flugels I've ever played, the one with the best intonation was an old Yamaha 231. Played it for many years!
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Flugels and intonation Reply with quote

To make a blanket statement saying all flugels have bad intonation is like saying all politicians are honest. I have spent a lot of time with my flugelhorn design getting things correct and the players who own them will attest to the flawless intonation throughout the range. At the recent Miami ITG I played on most of the inexpensive flugelhorns trying to source proper valve sections to replace what I had been using from Kanstul to no avail. Yes they were cheap and yes, the quality was generally poor. Adam, B&S, Getzen, Van Laar, Yamaha and the soon to be available new Scodwell USA would easily satisfy the most demanding pro. You don't want to spend the money for one of those? The new Scodwell USA "Euro" model would fill the bill at a super low price. Built with a trumpet valve section (I.E. horizontal slides) with a bell made in the late 60's and early 70's by Reynolds and a Scodwell leadpipe, this was aimed at the very market buying inexpensive doubler flugelhorns looking for the proper sound and blow along with very good intonation. It is possible.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I have found that dialing in the right mouthpiece makes a huge difference in the intonation of a flugel, particularly in that lower register you're talking about.

You just have to try a bunch and figure out something that works for you. I eventually had to go the custom route, mixing and matching rims, cups, and shanks until I found something that had the tone and intonation I was looking for.

Good luck!

+1
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started in flugel I remember having to pull the tuning slide out quite a bit to feel in tune. This made the mid and upper register in tune but below the staff was really really flat. Working with my teacher I learned that flugel needs to be played lower in the slot. Not exactly lipping down but sort of. He advised me to return the tuning slide to a more typical position and to adjust my chops. After that it didn't take too long until the horn began playing in tune across the registers.

It's worth mentioning that you need to ensure that the mouthpiece is reasonable and that it matches the shank of the horn or all bets are off.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
When I started in flugel I remember having to pull the tuning slide out quite a bit to feel in tune. This made the mid and upper register in tune but below the staff was really really flat. Working with my teacher I learned that flugel needs to be played lower in the slot. Not exactly lipping down but sort of. He advised me to return the tuning slide to a more typical position and to adjust my chops. After that it didn't take too long until the horn began playing in tune across the registers.

It's worth mentioning that you need to ensure that the mouthpiece is reasonable and that it matches the shank of the horn or all bets are off.

+1 here, too. I have found that–while we would think that blowing a flugel would be relatively the same as Bb tpt–it isn't always the case. For some, yes, but especially with a lower-end flugel, you'd have to make adjustments. For me, even with high-end flugels, I have found a re-positioning of the scale to be in order and mostly as "cheiden" has explained, where playing slightly "down" on the pitch in the middle register allows for those low pitches low C and lower to feel easier to put in the right pocket. It also makes the upper register not so flat as often (but not always) can be the case. I think many players instinctively find center without giving it much thought. This is probably more true for those spending more time playing it. I think the same thing happens when switching to C, Eb, picc, etc. Over time you find center and the pitch problems start to even out...at least I think that would be true for those being critical of their pitch.

Then somewhere along the way, mpc selection/matching would further help the cause.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles J Heiden above mentioned an important fact that bears reinforcing: the shank. You have to know which type of lead pipe your flugelhorn uses, then get a mouthpiece with the right shape to match. Is it a large or small Morse taper? A French taper (not a taper at all)?

For example, on my Kanstul 1525, I've experimented with different shanks and this makes an enormous difference in intonation. I use a French taper, not the stock lead pipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: