• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

another mouthpiece question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoreman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: another mouthpiece question Reply with quote

After playing for a few minutes I develop a ring around my lips, that I assume is due to excessive mouthpiece pressure. I've had this problem for as long as I've been playing trumpet. (which is over 60 years). I went from a Bach 11/2c to a Schilke 15 which helped somewhat. It didn't cut into my lips as much. I'm not looking for a mouthpiece to improve my range. I play Dixieland jazz, which only calls for a G just above the staff at times. My question is would a mouthpiece with a deeper cup help my endurance a little more? (If there is such a mouthpiece). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Please don't say use less mouthpiece pressure. It just don't work for me.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Rudy Muck and Jet Tones to have somewhat cushioned rims. In Bach, you could try a CW cushion rim.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Selmer K-Modified Light Trumpet (for sale)
Benge 3X Cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all generality, a deeper cup will not assist your endurance. The Bach 1.5C is s fine piece but I find the rim size/shape to be hard on my endurance and that the 3C is decidedly better for me. Alternately the Yamaha 14B4 has a friendly rim. These should be a relatively modest adjustment for you.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
shoreman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Rudy Muck does have a cushioned rim, but I'm looking for a mouthpiece that will give my lips more room in the cup. If there is such a mouthpiece. Like I said in my original post, I use too much mouthpiece pressure, and I need more room in the cup.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Another mouthpiece question Reply with quote

Hello shoreman
I think rather a mouthpiece question, this is more of an approach to playing. there ia a lot of facetime in playing dixieland, at least how I see it. The Schilke has a softer rim and some may go to a 2 rim, that is more rounded yet. Though I can see the lips slipping in, even further with that attribute. The cushion rim idea does seem more logical as an anchor point. But back to approach. I see this as the more we play the harder we have to work on keeping the horn away from the face...Pulling down or out a little, saving wear-and-tear and improving endurance, during the longer solo passages. I played a Bach 2 and a Schilke 15B when I was younger and playing a lot. Fast forward, and now I am more of a 3C/14B kinds of guy. I have worked on my efficiency on the last many years, as brute force has lost out.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's come up a few times, it may be attractive to assume that either wide a cushion or possibly rounder rim may aid endurance, but I find that neither do so for me. I've learned that there is a very particular rim shape and bite that give me the best results. Too wide and it seems to hinder necessary motion. To round and it seems to distort my chops. Too little bite and I have work extra hard to keep my lips from slipping out. You've got to find what works for you. There's no shortcut.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: