• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The best stand light ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
pinstriper wrote:
ken_k wrote:
pinstriper wrote:
Move to a tablet and you never need a stand light again.

Just sayin'.

Not if you have 69 year old eyes.

On the contrary, see Randy's post.

I can clean up a chart and fix all kinds of flaws - keystoning, speckles, even rewrite sections with a bit of effort, sharpen edges, and maximize the cropping to the point where things are much larger than they were on the original paper.

I can also turn up the brightness way more than any paper/light combo.

Seriously, if you have aging eyes, iPad with Forscore improves things bigly. I double I would be playing without it.

My wife gifted me a big iPad Pro and I immediately loaded it with ForScore. While I haven't been able to test it in a gig I'm pretty sure it's going to win on readability over most any stand light lit paper. The only downside I see is that it's only a single page and there have been times I liked being able to play two or three pages without turning. I know there's the footpedal option but that doesn't allow you to look ahead.

I started using a 9.5” ipad about two years ago. I much prefer it to schlepping a music stand and charts, one downside side however is in bright sunlight it can be a little tough to see.

Brad
ChuckK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the notion of an iPad. With some of the software that available you can have all kind of organization and a lot of music on hand. (I recommend "ForScore"). I've got all my trumpet/cornet books, all my french horn books, and all my electric bass books on the iPad, plus dozens of musicals that I have performed or will.
Add to that the metronome/tuning apps and stuff like iReal Book for practice, the iPad turns out to be a real gem.
As far as brightness goes, yea, in the direct sunlight it can be a hassle, but frankly those times a rare, and a simple shield can be fashioned from Duct Tape (where would be be without it?).
I would suggest that a purchase of a stand is a wise move. Setting it on a standard music stand is a little risky as it can slide off. There are some really good clips made for iPad (the Talent clip is my fav), an it's surprising how cheap a cymbal boom stand can be. They are a bit heavy, but it's worth the hassle to protect that iPad investment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: