• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet in auditions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Cornet in auditions Reply with quote

Hey TH

Just curious here, for graduate auditions, is there any history of playing a cornet solo on a proper, turn of the century cornet as a part of an audition?

I plan on going to graduate school for my Masters in Music in 2021, and I didn't know if there was any cornet history in auditions, or if you just stick to different keyed trumpets.

Thanks!
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New York Ballet audition packet for principal trumpet has several excerpts marked with "cornet" in italics, as well a few with "rotary." Not sure if those instruments are specifically expected for the audition, or if that's the general tonal/stylistic approach that's expected.
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was doing grad school auditions (15 years ago fwiw) no one showed up with a cornet, let alone an authentic antique.

If you're playing rep that would call for cornet, and you have access to one, and you're comfortable on it and sound your best playing it, go for it. Could help you stand out for your awareness of the history of the music and ability to play a range of equipment.

Otherwise, show them your best playing on the equipment you know well.

Pro auditions such as NY Ballet will have different expectations, I think, but I never reached that level.

Good luck, whatever your decision hope the audition prep is going well!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have separate universities that teach cornet and separate ones that teach trumpet. Never the twain shall meet. This comes down to us because of social class. Working class people played the cornet. Posh people played the trumpet. We still have this division. When I drive to work I see kids going into the fee paying schools with trumpet cases, not cornet cases.

When I was a boy you could not study cornet at all. You had to switch to trumpet.

Its maybe not as rigid as that now, but we sill have a lot of it here.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornet tradition in the U.K. is different than in America.

If you've got a question as to how it will be received, why not call the professor?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

If you've got a question as to how it will be received, why not call the professor?

That's the plan.

But I have over a year until I'll be auditioning for whatever schools I narrow my search down to so I was just asking in general what the norm was.

But that seems to answer my question. In the US, it is very much a different beast.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never voluntarily make your life more difficult. In particular, never voluntarily make your life more difficult if there is any chance that your audience might not notice or understand the effort you're making. Put yourself in the headspace of the audition panel. They want to hear if you have good fundamentals and good musicianship. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure a turn-of-the-century cornet solo is a particularly good choice for a grad school audition, regardless of what you play it on.
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The New York Ballet audition packet for principal trumpet has several excerpts marked with "cornet" in italics, as well a few with "rotary." Not sure if those instruments are specifically expected for the audition, or if that's the general tonal/stylistic approach that's expected.

The gap in skill/expectations between a grad school audition and an audition for a tier-1 ICSOM orchestra principal position is vast. Yes, for the NYC ballet, you should play the excerpts as indicated on a rotary trumpet or cornet.

For grad school, they're looking for potential so be ready to play Bb, C, Eb, and piccolo. Most schools have specific requirements but if they don't, maybe play one of the many French solo pieces, Honegger Intrada comes to mind. Play some difficult and/or very musical etudes: Bitsch, Reynolds, Charlier, etc. Consider having a lyrical etude ready to go, and play it extremely well. You should definitely have a good Haydn concerto ready to go any time as well.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Cornet in auditions Reply with quote

When I started college, two ice ages ago, I was playing a Conn 36b. I used that for auditions to symphonic band, orchestra, lessons, etc. I made a position in symphonic band and was provided a Getzen Eterna like everyone in the section. I like it so much that I used it for everything except brass choir. I used it for my juries, too which no one on the brass faculty questioned a bit. I felt that the cornet was easier for me to progress technically on. I enjoyed the sound and just playing that horn so I went with it. I kind of wanted a different trumpet but my teacher was more patient. Just keep playing there is plenty of time. Call or write where you are auditioning and see. There may be some things that are harder about getting a vintage cornet to perform at the level you want it to for a serious audition. I have a 50 year old King cornet which is good but I wouldn't want to push it that way if I were young again. Best of Luck in your pursuits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: