• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Harrelson Trumpets Reply with quote

As you can see by my post count and join date, I am far from a newbie here, so for all the 'old salts' here, do you remember when Jason was first starting out building horns and his primary medium for selling them was on eBay?

I do, and I remember you would send your horn to him and he would modify it. I also remember his modifications looked like he just soldered a bunch of decorative metal pieces between the crooks, braces, and wherever else he saw fit. The finishes also looked like they were just spray painted. The FLAMES this guy would take were unbelievable; totally trashing his ideas and anything else people could think of to trash.

Fast forward to today, and I've seen his recent work, and it looks to be on par with Monette and Taylor. People are also making comments like, "Jason Harrelson makes incredible instruments ... Jason’s Horns are at the cutting edge of physics and manufacturing ... Beautiful craftsmanship."

I have no basis for comparison, as I've only played a Monette, and it was the first series of heavy horns from back in 1994/95 (STC, I think?), which is right around the time Jason started doing his mods.

Just goes to show that despite the negativity, he kept at it, got better at it, and look at him now.

Well done.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am happy to have people pushing the boundaries and trying new things with our instrument of choice.

I do not want to reignite the flame wars that Jason endured here in the past, and I hope others feel the same way.

That said some of the criticism was earned, and some should have been expected since new and significantly different ideas are often met that way. This is an unfortunate reaction society often has.

It is interesting that living in the San Francisco Bay Area I have only encountered one monette or harelson trumpet. It was a raw brass C and didn’t look different from other Cs.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same sentiments here regarding not having this go south with negative comments.

I’ve actually never seen or played one of Harrelson’s horns, I’ve heard very positive reviews from those who have.

Brad
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ways he's committed to advancing the manufacturing of certain trumpet components is great. He does so many fine, unique, and artistic things.

He also blocked me on all his social media accounts because I stated, quite rightly, that he doesn't manufacture bells or valves. The quality of his artistry and creativity are unquestionable but he definitely escalates situations where he feels criticized.

I'm glad he's still at it and hope that he'll continue to push boundaries without pushing people away.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I could care less if he makes his own valves, etc., hell, even Monette didn’t make his own valves when he got started.

What matters to me is how the horn plays and sounds. If I like it, then that’s all that matters, regardless if it’s a Chinese C or an Indian piccolo.

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGulyas wrote:
Honestly, I could care less if he makes his own valves, etc., hell, even Monette didn’t make his own valves when he got started.

What matters to me is how the horn plays and sounds. If I like it, then that’s all that matters, regardless if it’s a Chinese C or an Indian piccolo.

I don't care if he makes bells and valves either but he cares whether people know. I get the impression that he wants people to think he makes those parts.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
JGulyas wrote:

I don't care if he makes bells and valves either but he cares whether people know. I get the impression that he wants people to think he makes those parts.

I don’t think Dave wanted people to know that, either. Wonder why they’re touchy about that?

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dealt with Jason on some small things and even for a tiny purchase (shims for his shim system for adjusting gap), I got excellent service and treatment, time taken to answer questions, nothing but pure class. The time and effort Jason has put into developing his horns, posting videos to help trumpet players understand fundamentals, etc. show me that he has a genuine interest in helping out. I have never played one of his trumpets, but I think he is a class act and wish him all the best. I hope his health holds out after the problems he has had.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy his videos. He plays and comments trumpets from other makers. I've never seen another horn maker do that.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
I enjoy his videos. He plays and comments trumpets from other makers. I've never seen another horn maker do that.

Great point; knowledge is invaluable. And for a maker to share his thoughts (honestly and without undue criticism) about different horn makes...I find this impressive.

I ordered some top and bottom caps for a Yamaha horn from Jason years ago. They were the wrong size (not uncommon; it was for a Yamaha flugel). Their team was outstanding; apologetic, quick to reship, and I got a free T-shirt out of the deal. Overall, a tremendous experience. Mistakes happen, excellent customer service as a result does NOT always happen - they were most impressive.

There's a player here at TH that is a fairly frequent, and quite a thoughtful, contributor. He has some very nice horns in his quiver. The best horn he's ever played, I recall him stating emphatically, was a Harrelson. 'Effortless', if I recall correctly, was his description of the play of the Harrelson horn he described. Kudos to Jason.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned two of Jason's trumpets: A Summit 4/7 Bb and a Summit 1/1 Bb. Both were beautiful, well made, and very nice playing horns. I think he is onto something regarding efficiency.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
I have dealt with Jason on some small things and even for a tiny purchase (shims for his shim system for adjusting gap), I got excellent service and treatment, time taken to answer questions, nothing but pure class. The time and effort Jason has put into developing his horns, posting videos to help trumpet players understand fundamentals, etc. show me that he has a genuine interest in helping out. I have never played one of his trumpets, but I think he is a class act and wish him all the best. I hope his health holds out after the problems he has had.

Same experience here, I made a small purchase (caps....and hopefully this won’t start a war on the merits...or lack thereof of horn modifications😎), quick, efficient and courteous service.

Brad
saxophonist56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran into a trumpet player at the airport who plays for the orchestra and he said he plays a harrelson. ever since then i wanted one!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Harrelson Trumpets Reply with quote

There will always be people criticizing something new and untried. Look back at people making brass instruments. The only way you have more than one sound, and one voice is for someone to push the envelope and try something. Gulyas is right. If it sounds right and it plays right and someone likes it, it passes the test. I have seen one Harrelson trumpet in my life and it was a work of art. I never got to play it but it was obviously the work of a craftsman's hand.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I personally am happy to have people pushing the boundaries and trying new things with our instrument of choice.

I do not want to reignite the flame wars that Jason endured here in the past, and I hope others feel the same way.

That said some of the criticism was earned, and some should have been expected since new and significantly different ideas are often met that way. This is an unfortunate reaction society often has.

It is interesting that living in the San Francisco Bay Area I have only encountered one monette or harelson trumpet. It was a raw brass C and didn’t look different from other Cs.
im also in the Bay Area, I know one pro who plays a Harrelson, a few that play Taylor’s, but don’t know any Monette players (although monette mouthpieces are popular among jazz players here). I used to live in Colorado and had a nice visit to the Harrelson shop. Jason took a lot of time with us visitors showing us around, answering questions, and letting us play his trumpets. They weren’t what I was looking for or the type of horns I like to play but it was a great experience.
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason has made 3 horns for me as a long time customer. I actually still have one of those early modified trumpets he started out business with in 2004. Then I have a lead and Jazz configuration on the other VPS machined crook type horns. Great instruments but now that I have torn a shoulder cuff and am in Physical Therapy, I am unable to hold them for any length of time. I think Harrelson's are either your cup of tea or they are not. What I might suggest is that it is worth the flight into Denver to try his instruments before you buy. No buyers remorse that way since you will get exactly what you are expecting by taking the time to dial in a Trumpet with so many possible variations. His is not a one size fits all offering so thats your best bet at getting a Trumpet you will love and cherish.

There are some horn makers and merchants that bare a grudge against Jason and his instruments. He has made some lofty claims about the superiority of his instruments and has rubbed some the wrong way. Monette had the same thing. You are a client though, not a competitor so try and compare and shut out the noise.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: harrelson trumpets Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying some things for me. I have read some of the criticism of Harrelson's horns in here and wondered where it came from. His horns must work because he is still in business. We all get into that mode of wanting blood on the street, and sometimes that is over something musical. I can' t figure that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: