• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3c

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: 3c Reply with quote

For the past 7 years of playing I've mostly stuck with a 7c and it's worked pretty well. I switched to a 5c for about a year but when I got braces on I started playing off center and I needed to go back to a 7c just because I liked how the rim sat on the wire not the brackets. My braces got taken off and I was able to play higher but none of the other areas of my playing improved so I moved my playing back to center. I find that I can't keep everything forward with firm corners when I play on a 7c. I tried an old 1 1/2c that I had and it feels much too big. Then I tried my friends 3c and it felt great. I don't want to buy a Bach because of the many inconstancy issues with their mouthpieces most everyone knows about. I was looking at possibly getting a Karl Hammond because that's what I play on now but I was also looking at Schilke and at the Monette silver/classic series. I'm looking for more of an all around mouthpiece leaning more to something I would use for symphonic type playing since I can pretty easily push a mouthpiece and make it bright for lead/jazz. Any other brands I might want to consider or anything about the brands I already talked about?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 3c Reply with quote

Mr. Bubbles wrote:
For the past 7 years of playing I've mostly stuck with a 7c and it's worked pI don't want to buy a Bach because of the many inconstancy issues with their mouthpieces most everyone knows about.

Sorry Mr. Bubbles. There are no consistency issues with the Bach 3C.

Back to your original question, it sounds like you've recently gone through braces, an embouchure change, and are now having problems with consistency. It's a tough transition after braces. And it's unlikely that another mouthpiece will fix the problems you may be having. You already have two all-around mouthpieces (the Bach 5C and Bach 7C). Getting a third one is unlikely to change things. Spend the money on some private lessons. The Karl Hammond mouthpiece is about $120 (that's at least 2 private lessons). The Monette silver/classic is about $200 (that's at least 3 private lessons).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that I'm one of the few who doesn't know anything about inconsistency in current production Bach mouthpieces. Seriously, how many individual players try multiple Bach 3C mouthpieces to "try them out to pick a good one"? As simple as it is to make a mouthpiece it's difficult for me to believe there is some critical inconsistency in current production Bach mouthpieces. But maybe. I haven't tested the theory. I suppose anything is possible.

What brand was the 3C you liked? How about just going to a music store with your horn and the mouthpiece you tried and asking to stand there and play a 3C in whatever brand the mouthpiece you tried was so you can compare? This seems like the simplest first step to me especially because you say you liked the 3C you tried.

There are many different versions of 3C mouthpieces because many manufacturers have that mouthpiece designation but don't necessarily manufacture to identical specifications. Personally, I'm familiar only with the Bach 3C. That mouthpiece is an excellent all around mouthpiece for many players. Whether it's an excellent all around mouthpiece for you depends on many factors, especially personal physiology and approach to playing trumpet.

Back in the day (I turn 70 years old tomorrow) I started on a Bach 7C and, after a few years, switched to a Bach 3C. I stayed with the 3C for several years. Then, when I was in my early 20's, I switched to a Reeves 42S. I was playing in a big band at the time. Today I play a Reeves Dynamic Mass 43D. I'm a small group jazz improvisation player now.

I think the best approach is to start by determining the cup diameter you like best that works for you. Then, choose a cup depth and shape that gives you the sound you want. Then fine tune things with rim diameter/profile, backbore and drill hole. Most importantly, if it's working well for you don't be too eager to mess with it. At some point you want to play on the same mouthpiece for the consistency of it.
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: 3c Reply with quote

Trumpet MD, I have measured all my friends 3c's and they all have small differences in cup depth or how sharp the rim is and very small difference in diameter. Me and my buddy measured it all out at his dads machine shop. My braces have been off for almost a year and I shifted my playing back to center about 3 months ago. As for the 5c I think it fell out of my case during marching band because I can't find it anywhere. I have private lessons my lesson teacher is very little help and my band directors told me I'm not allowed to switch to the other lesson teacher because my teacher has lost too many students and complains about it. He also bad mouths the students that left him and since the music world is so small and he knows many people in it. I don't want to have a possible career somewhere in the music field ruined by a top call trumpet player in chicago.
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HERMOKIWI"]I guess that I'm one of the few who doesn't know anything about inconsistency in current production Bach mouthpieces. Seriously, how many individual players try multiple Bach 3C mouthpieces to "try them out to pick a good one"? As simple as it is to make a mouthpiece it's difficult for me to believe there is some critical inconsistency in current production Bach mouthpieces. But maybe. I haven't tested the theory. I suppose anything is possible.[/quote]

It's not a huge difference between them I just want the ability if my mouthpiece gets lost or broken or stolen that I can buy another and I won't have to worry about small differences in the new one.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This used to be a big deal with Bach mouthpieces, before they started using CNC equipment to cut them. (tooling wear over time would result in widely varying examples of supposedly identical sized pieces. CNC equipment adjusts for tooling wear automatically).

It's less of an issue now, but if you want a different option, the Curry 3C. is excellent. Osmun music usually has them in stock, or can get them on a quick turn. I used to deal with Mark directly, but he's much too busy keeping up with demand these days to handle one-at-a time sales efficiently.

Like you, I like mine well enough to worry about a replacement. I have a 'spare' Curry 3C. still in the packaging, just in case something happens and I can't get another one.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your friends 3C felt great I'd recommend looking into exactly which vintage it is then trying to find a similar one.
Assuming it was a Bach, this might help you identify the vintage of the preferred 3C.
https://www.bachloyalist.com/mouthpiece/mouthpieces.htm

Alternately you could try a Curry 3C. which many consider a better version of the Bach.

I'm also a fan of the cheap, consistent, and readily available, stock Yamaha pieces. To my lips the current Bach 3C is bigger (similar to a 1.5C) compares to a Yamaha 16B4. Some of the older Bach 3C pieces are smaller (my preferred) and compare to a Yamaha 14B4. If the Bach 1.5C you tried feels big then you might want to start with the 14B4.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
be sure to play where your vibration occurs and you have the best stability on lips/teeth. it(s not absolutely always on the exact center of your lips.
why not contact Bobby Shew for a skype lesson, if not possible face to face ,
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: