• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What to get next moving from a Schilke 14B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: What to get next moving from a Schilke 14B Reply with quote

Hi
I used to play a Bach 1 1/4 C and now play a Shilke 14B.
Looking for a good all round mouthpiece, and I heard the 14B is really for jazz players.
I'm classically trained so looking to keep that sound.
What would be a good compromise mouthpiece to get that's good for all round playing and teaching? What are the Yamaha's like?
Don't know much about mouthpieces so never really tried a lot.
Any suggestions much appreciated
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: What to get next moving from a Schilke 14B Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Hi
I used to play a Bach 1 1/4 C and now play a Shilke 14B.
Looking for a good all round mouthpiece, and I heard the 14B is really for jazz players.
I'm classically trained so looking to keep that sound.
What would be a good compromise mouthpiece to get that's good for all round playing and teaching? What are the Yamaha's like?
Don't know much about mouthpieces so never really tried a lot.
Any suggestions much appreciated

I played a Bach 1 1/4 C (trumpetversion/cornetversion) from 1970 up to the late nineties. Why? I went to my local dealer who picked a mpc telling me this is a popular piece - and that was that. Used it for lead and front row brassband.
Bach description of this mouthpiece: "Large cup for powerful trumpeters. Compact tone of great carrying power". Powerful and young I was. Evidently. And so were you...
Having bought a Bach cornet 1994, which I couldn´t fill the safari began (instead of looking for a teacher) - ended up with a Schilke 14. Same diameter +/-.
Also - when I switched from the Bach 1/4 I found the Schilkes to provide a more rounded, warmer sound, less overtones. The rims felt more comfy.
I have used the 14B for lead - excellent choice - but I would not use it in more concert/wind - symphonic settings. The sound is big, very good projection but the sound spectrum too limited in that setting, in my opinion. The plain 14 much better.
So - why do you want to switch? The rim not comfy any longer? The sound not what you prefer any longer? The diameter the right one?
What happened to me was that I got older - discovering I should be more "picky" with my choices of horns and mouthpieces. Resistance an important variable. After a period of 3-4 years with smaller diameter mpc:s (range 16,25 -16,59) (while taking lessons, beginning the BE method) I reverted back to the S 14 region, began with my old 14B last autumn now rediscovering that smaller diameter helps me focus. Again.
So I think that you should try different diameters, backbores, rims eventually ending up with a mouthpiece that fits like a glove right were you are today.
Mind you - matching the mouthpiece with the horn with you is necessary.
i.e. I bought myself a Bach Commercial only to find my air went straight through...The Yamaha 6335 RC became the perfect fit.
It come with a Yamaha 14 B4; comparing this with the Schilke 14 I find the Yamaha having a more compact, rounder sound. The S14B more "nasal" (but fine for lead). But that´s probably personal.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you dislike about the Schilke 14B? We'd probably need to know that first- if you are concerned that someone's description of it is that it is a "jazz" mouthpiece while you consider yourself "classically trained", I wouldn't worry much unless you absolutely are not creating the sound you want, or think you want.

Mouthpiece selection can be a strange thing- In many cases I believe the sound one hears "in their head" before any wind is ever begun has a lot to do with what comes out of the bell. When I purchased my first Schilke trumpet back in 1969, I'd previously been playing a cornet so Ren asked what I was using for a mouthpiece since the cornet piece wouldn't work. I told him Bach 3C, so for another $15 he threw in a gold plated Schilke 15 which I used throughout the next 3 years. Someone had a gold Schilke 19 when I was a Jr in college and gave it to me and I played on it for something like 30 years. I don't think anyone knew I'd switched. About the same time my college teacher had a Jet Tone 3A that he lent me (forever, actually...) and I used it for jazz band and in the rock bands I was playing in. Used it for years and still have it. I even used it during one professional symphony set and no one seemed to notice. Finally, at about age 60, I went from the Schilke 19 for the majority of my playing (orchestral) to the old 15 and that's where I still am, using a Reeves 42M for more comercial work and the same with a 692 backbore if most of it is upper register. Regarless of what I'm using, however, I think most of the people I play with would know it's me even in the dark, for better or for worse...

Anyway, there are so many variables it's tough to make any sort of recommendations over the internet. It might help "out here" a bit if you described what you were looking for, but I suspect it has something to do with someone (who may or may not have a clue) telling you that said 14B is a "jazz mouthpiece". The real question should be: "how do I sound on it"? I'd follow that up with: "what might I gain from a change to help me with my sound?" From there you can try to tweak things like flexibility via certain rims or really get into the weeds experimenting with different backbores, Reeves Sleeves and other gap adjustments, and then even a full horn blueprinting or PVA. In the end, however, you are still, with all the changes, probably going to sound "like you" no matter your choice.

If you are not happy with your own basic sound, I suggest a lot of listening to live performers and some lessons with a person who knows how to teach or in the very least, has the kind of sound you'd like to learn to make. Good luck, I know this probably sounds like junk but please consider how many slightly used mouthpieces there are for sale on this site alone. Good luck with your search.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: What to get from a Schilke 14B Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have been toying with the same dilemma. Trying too find a slightly deeper match to the Schilke 14B. The 14 is pretty big feeling in feel. I keep going back to my Symphony M3C, though it feels slightly smaller with a similar depth. My Warburton 4MD is feeling OK, but I think that I still have not found something that is just between a 14B and a 14. I played a 15B through high school and college and was satisfied with that until I was not playing hours a day...Then it just felt too wide.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 3C or Curry 3C.

Good all-rounder that can get a classical sound (but not as full as your 1.25C) and be a little easier than the 1.25C to get a zippier sound when needed.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What to get next moving from a Schilke 14B Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
(I) now play a Shilke 14B. I'm classically trained so looking to keep that sound.

I don't understand this being complex. If the 14B is comfortable but you are looking for a deeper sound, why don't you try a 14 C or D (deepening the cup depth), or try a 14 with a larger back bore (C or D)?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: What to get next moving from a Schilke 14B Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

A friend is sending me a straight Schilke 14 to try. Might be a good choice, and when I have to play lead, I can bang in my 14B or 14 a4a!
Also, am going to try a Yamaha 14B4 - supposed to be a good one!

Thanks again, all best
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Schilke 13 might work. It is roughly a Bach 3C. The one
I played at Schilke was very comfortable and I might go see them again when all their products are back from the shows.
R. Tomasek
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke 15B was a copy of an old (Mt. Vernon?) Bach 3C, originally a custom piece for Chicago freelancer John Cvejanovich. The 14 was a copy of a NY or Mt. Vernon 1 1/2C. When I worked at Schilke in the early 70's I played a 14, a 14 with Schmidt backbore and 25 throat on my C and a 14A4a with the standard 'a' backbore, 26 throat and a bit of undercut for big band and latin work.

My advise, pick a rim that works for you and go from there.

Herseth played a a 7 rim until his accident. John Hagstrom (CSO) uses a Yamaha signature around the size of a 5B. The sound is in your head. Use whatever makes it easiest to achieve that sound.
markwu071

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What to get next moving from a Schilke 14B Reply with quote

yamaha 15c4 (2c) or 16c4 (1.5c) would give you a good legit sound

Bach 1.5c 22/24
Yamaha 16E4 GP (1.5A) 18/(24?)
Yamaha 14A4a stock
CKB 3C 26/(117?)
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Schilke 14 is good option for you to try. I usually play on a Schilke 14 on a B-flat trumpet, but have also used a 14B over the years. I prefer the playing on the 14. I also like the B&S 1.5C that came with my C trumpet. It feels close to the Schilke 14, but with a brighter sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: