• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Maynard Ferguson Models

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Holton Maynard Ferguson Models Reply with quote

I had a chance to try a friend's Holton ST 308 and I thought it was quite interesting to play. I never knew much about the Holton MF models, so I started looking on line for info. Evidently, the ST 308 is a.459 bore. My friend also has a ST 307 which has a bore size of .468, the same as the Martins Maynard use to play. Evidently there is a ST 302 that is also .468, so how does that horn differ from the ST 307? And if that isn't confusing enough, there appears to have been a ST 301, ST 304, ST 305, and an ST 306, if not even more that I couldn't find. Which model(s) did Maynard usually play?

Is anyone familiar enough with the MF Horn "series" by Holton to be able to describe the similarities and the differences? Thanks.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 307 and 308 have reversed tuning slides and/or ovate tuning slides. Not sure; it's been years since I've seen the ads.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard played on the 301, and then the 302 when it came out, and then the 307 when it came out. These were all .468 large bore horns. When the medium large (.459) bore horns came out, he would have them on the band stand and play them occasionally for certain songs, but to be honest, I think his use of them on stage was mainly for promotional purposes. I'm pretty sure the medium large bore horns were added to the lineup to sell horns to those who felt intimidated by the (erroneous) idea that large bore horns are "hard to fill with air".

I'm not sure what the difference is between an ST-301 and an ST-302 but it might be just a difference in the trim on the horns. The ST-307 is pretty much and ST-302 but with a reverse lead pipe and brazed on third valve and first valve throws.

I played an ST-302 back in High School (I thought it was a move up from my Bach 37). And after all, the Holton SALES brochure (capital letters on purpose) made the claim, and I quote: "It's upper register is astonishingly easy to play." Sure...

It was a great horn and I have no idea what I did with it! I must have traded it on a different horn, probably a silver plated Benge CG I bought around 1981 or so as a back up horn to my Benge CG I bought new through Claude Gordon in 1980.

Here's a picture of me playing that ST-302:

https://i.postimg.cc/Wp5M9pXT/Trumpeter-John-Mohan-does-his-share.jpg

And here's a picture of an ST-307

https://i.postimg.cc/RZghmqJZ/483822000420000-00-1600x1000.jpg

It probably will eventually disappear, but the Webpage for the ST-307 is still up on the Musician's Friend Website.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-instruments/holton-st307-mf-horn-series-bb-trumpet

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Trumpet Player and Teacher
Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
It was a great horn and I have no idea what I did with it!

I still have the ST-302 that my mom bought for me new in the early 70's. Also have the JetTone MF2 mouthpiece I got at the same time. I enjoy playing the Holton time to time (though I much prefer my current ML Bach 43*/43). The JetTone mouthpiece,...not so much, I can barely produce a sound. Playing the LB Holton is an bit of an adjustment but it's manageable in the practice room. I haven't tried in an ensemble for many many years.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ST 301 was the original .468-bore MF Horn. The ST 302 was originally offered as a more-resistant model, described as the "little big horn" (a line I believe Holton recycled for the later 550 Admiral model). The ST 304 was a .465 bore, again with the goal of offering a smaller model with broader appeal.

The ST 301, 302, and 304 were offered at the same time, at least for a while. At some point the ST 301 disappeared and the ST 302 became the basic .468-bore MF Horn. The ST 303 Firebird -- the valve/slide trumpet -- appeared after the ST 304. The .484-bore ST 305 Banana Horn appeared in the catalog around the same time. The ST 302 was redesigned and became the ST 306, though the lightweight version was the LT 302.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpet-history.com/Holton%20Models.pdf
Page 55

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
The ST 301 was the original .468-bore MF Horn. The ST 302 was originally offered as a more-resistant model, described as the "little big horn" (a line I believe Holton recycled for the later 550 Admiral model).

I recall that during a clinic in the 70s Maynard was talking about various attributes of the relatively new ST-302. What sticks with me is that he said that because the V-cup of his preferred mouthpiece at the time (JetTone MF) offered so little resistance that the leadpipe taper was designed to offer some resistance to compensate.

And as I recall the ST-302, still a 0.468" bore is not the one called the Little Big Horn. I think that was reserved for the ST-304 at 0.465" bore.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Page 55

Marvelous compilation. Clearly describes the various similarities and differences of the MF Horn series, not to mention a wide range of Holton trumpets going way back. Talk about hitting the nail on the head in responding to my original query. Thanks.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KUDOS to whomever put the hours into that PDF !! I use to own two ST-302 MF Horns and loved them even though my Bach #37 playing friend told me how bad they sucked.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
nieuwguyski wrote:
The ST 301 was the original .468-bore MF Horn. The ST 302 was originally offered as a more-resistant model, described as the "little big horn" (a line I believe Holton recycled for the later 550 Admiral model).

I recall that during a clinic in the 70s Maynard was talking about various attributes of the relatively new ST-302. What sticks with me is that he said that because the V-cup of his preferred mouthpiece at the time (JetTone MF) offered so little resistance that the leadpipe taper was designed to offer some resistance to compensate.

And as I recall the ST-302, still a 0.468" bore is not the one called the Little Big Horn. I think that was reserved for the ST-304 at 0.465" bore.

My first pro horn was a Holton MF Horn which I purchased in 1974. Don't remember the model number. It was a .468 bore and didn't have the little medallion thingy in the tuning slide brace....

keith
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a couple of guys in college who bought MF horns. They could play really honking loud and one guy was an absolute screamer on it--about twice the volume of the horn he'd played before, which I think was a Yamaha or Schilke.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I knew a couple of guys in college who bought MF horns. They could play really honking loud and one guy was an absolute screamer on it--about twice the volume of the horn he'd played before, which I think was a Yamaha or Schilke.

The end of the leadpipe is configured at the tuning slide sleeve to dramatically increase wall turbulence at the step and thus resistance.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Page 55

Marvelous compilation. Clearly describes the various similarities and differences of the MF Horn series, not to mention a wide range of Holton trumpets going way back. Talk about hitting the nail on the head in responding to my original query. Thanks.

Yes, this compilation is great. On page 78 it solved the mystery surrounding a Holton cornet in my collection.

My cornet bell has the "Stratodyne" engraving. I've never seen another one like it. I could never find a record of there ever being a Holton "Stratodyne" cornet until I saw this compilation. Apparently my horn is a Model 25 which you could order with the "Stratodyne" bell as a special option.

So, not only does my cornet have the "Stratodyne" engraving it actually has the one piece copper "Stratodyne" bell. The horn is two tone silver plated (matte body and polished slides) with gold plating inside the bell and around the bell rim so I never knew the bell was copper.

Has anyone seen another Holton Model 25 "Stratodyne" cornet? According to the compilation the model became the Model 27 in the 1950's but my question is about the vintage when it was the Model 25. I'm curious to know if there are other Model 25 "Stratodyne" cornets out there anyone knows about. Mine is from 1939 which is apparently the first year the "Stratodyne" option was offered.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Page 55

Yes, this compilation is great. On page 78 it solved the mystery surrounding a Holton cornet in my collection.

My cornet bell has the "Stratodyne" engraving. I've never seen another one like it. I could never find a record of there ever being a Holton "Stratodyne" cornet until I saw this compilation. Apparently my horn is a Model 25 which you could order with the "Stratodyne" bell as a special option.

So, not only does my cornet have the "Stratodyne" engraving it actually has the one piece copper "Stratodyne" bell. The horn is two tone silver plated (matte body and polished slides) with gold plating inside the bell and around the bell rim so I never knew the bell was copper.

Has anyone seen another Holton Model 25 "Stratodyne" cornet? According to the compilation the model became the Model 27 in the 1950's but my question is about the vintage when it was the Model 25. I'm curious to know if there are other Model 25 "Stratodyne" cornets out there anyone knows about. Mine is from 1939 which is apparently the first year the "Stratodyne" option was offered.

Both the Model 29 and Model 25 designs were built as Stratodynes, and both were dubbed Model 27 after the initial years. I have not seen a Stratodyne with a serial earlier than 182,000 (1948). The early examples of Stratodyne trumpets in 1948 were Model 48 Deluxe trumpets with a lighter one piece yellow brass bell and the distinctive art deco engraving. These first Stratodynes still carried the base model number on the bell rather than the Stratodyne model number. Later, say late 1949, Stratodynes got their own numbers (27 for cornets and 49 for trumpets) and around 1951, the red brass alloy for the lightweight bell. Bells before then were yellow brass.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
rhjimmy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: ST302 vs ST 307 Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but somebody may still be interested.

I had an ST302 I played through high school, I can't remember anything bad about it. I traded for a Selmer K Modified in 1980 - I wish I hadn't. Marketing is what it is... I couldn't play F above high C with any consistency back then, and the MF Horn made no difference at all in range. I bought an ST307 around 2000 and played it for over 20 years. I still have it, but I prefer my Schilke B1 now. I like the firmer valves. The bell flare on my 302 was much flatter than the 307, and if memory serves, I think it did have a little more resistance. Not much more though, it was a pretty open horn.

I think the whole idea of a .468 bore horn taking "more air" is simply nonsense. Whatever size horn you have, all the air goes through a #27 (or thereabouts) hole in the mouthpiece. The larger bore may give you slightly higher amplitude in the sound vibrations, so it may be able to play a little louder, but that's about it. I think bell flare drives the resistance more than anything IMHO. I can't feel any real difference in resistance between my Schilke (.460) and the 307 (.468), but the sounds are quite different. All things being equal, the Holton is (surprisingly) darker sounding. With a 1.5C it blends nicely with a section of Bach 37's. With something shallower, like a Curry 70M, it brightens up considerably.
DEG Caravelle Classic 69S
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
1940 York Custom Model Cornet
1958 Symphonic Cornet
Kanstul 731 Cornet
Savannah Wind Symphony
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: MF Holtons Reply with quote

A good friend of mine and a registered nurse was playing with Maynard the last six months of Maynard's life. My friend was certainly a great player and his nursing background was a comfort to Maynard and he played my Scodwell trumpet. He was warming up outside of Maynard's dressing room and Maynard came out and asked what horn he was playing. He told him it was a Scodwell and Maynard asked to play it saying "I see why you like this". Then Maynard said, "let me have it because Dave (Monette) is due to arrive". Monette walked in and there was Maynard holding the Scodwell trumpet and an awkward moment was obvious. After Monette left the room Maynard told my friend to get his Holton out saying, "if you want to play a really good trumpet, try this".

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mike's back up scodwell when he first came off the road. Sorry to hear of his passing
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MF Holtons Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
After Monette left the room Maynard told my friend to get his Holton out saying, "if you want to play a really good trumpet, try this".

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Meaning Maynard wanted to hold onto the Scodwell? (I'm notoriously dense)
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Manthey was a good friend-we met when he lived in south Fl. in 2001-2002-then he left and went out w Maynard. We lost touch, then in 2014 we hooked back up. He had quit playing for a bit after Maynard passed and was doing the nursing thing full time and was just starting to get back to playing when I last spoke w him. He passed away less than a week later.

Speaking of the Holton MF Horns. Alan Wise told me when he was first on the band in 1980, he went through about 10 or 12 a year they were so bad. When he found one he REALLY liked, Maynard would take it for himself. Alan helped design the MF Admiral Horn in '83 and played it for a year before setting on a Schilke.

Anybody play on the ST301-those are hard to track down
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: MF Reply with quote

"Meaning Maynard wanted to hold onto the Scodwell? (I'm notoriously dense)"

I think Maynard was referring to his Holton MF horn. I've heard this story before. I'm not sure Maynard was totally sold on the Monette horn he played on at the end of his career.

He did like the Monette mouthpiece, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: