• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Info on Olds trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stepes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Info on Olds trumpet Reply with quote

Hi all, I recently bought this beautiful Olds trumpet. From the serial code it must be from 1956? I don't know much about them, other than that it says Studio Model so would be happy if anyone has some info on them.

https://ibb.co/album/bw0Ttv
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Central will get you started.
https://www.oldsbrass.com/domain.com/trumpet/olds.html
Amateur's Amateur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice horn!

Here's a couple things to get started with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXbXqzx_Aw

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03x4CD8C19vRIX1K3DccNh9ahyPBw%3A1582812923614&ei=-85XXqqAJaXa9AOckp-YAQ&q=olds+studio+trumpet+site%3Awww.trumpetherald.com&oq=olds+studio+trumpet+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0l4j0i22i30l3.1374.1374..4339...0.2..0.63.63.1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.rgPs238WSsc

cheers!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Olds trumpet Reply with quote

Stepes wrote:

https://ibb.co/album/bw0Ttv

That looks to me an Olds Studio, I bought one today but she is still in the mail.
I am very curious about the Studio model; I once possessed an Olds Super, nice horn but sold it in favor of a Getzen Eterna.
Olds are great horns, my former teacher had an Olds Recording, he could really sing on that horn
Stepes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is so cool! Thank you very much for the links It seems to be this one here https://www.oldsbrass.com/domain.com/trumpet/olds57/page9.html
I was not sure if I overpaid for it since it cost me 900 euros and I saw on the auctions on the olds central for 300-600 dollars, but in the youtube video he also sold it for 850 dollars and mine is in near mint condition.
Anyway, I really love its sound. It resonates beautifully, especially in the low register that I love to play. Oh and what they say is true. It's somehow longer than most trumpets. I have real issues fitting it into my gig bag.

One issue I have is that the valves are a bit resistant compared to a Bach Strad that I played with recently. I'm not that knowledgeable on trumpet repairs but could this be fixed by replacing the valve springs? Is it something I should consider? Or is it just a matter of oil? But I'm using La Tromba T2 Light which should be...light?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepes wrote:
One issue I have is that the valves are a bit resistant compared to a Bach Strad that I played with recently. ... But I'm using La Tromba T2 Light which should be...light?

----------------------
Are the valves sluggish or slow to RISE, or do they require firm pressure to push DOWN -- or both if applicable.

If they rise quickly, but are 'resistant' to push down, then maybe slightly weaker valve springs would give better valve action. And that feeling might go away without need for any changes, after you get used to playing for a week or so.

Do the valves ever seem to 'stick' or 'bind'?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Stepes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. So the valves rise very fast but require some strength to press down. They don't tend to stick. I think I've noticed a small delay only once or twice. I've already played a decent bit and I get used to the resistance, but playing on other trumpets I see how fast valves can be when they are easy to press down. So I guess I will take a look at weaker springs once I have the time. Thanks
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1959 Studio. Very nice sound but not super responsive. It takes some muscling around.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepes wrote:

I was not sure if I overpaid for it since it cost me 900 euros and I saw on the auctions on the olds central for 300-600 dollars,

The selling price surveys on Olds Central are quite dated. It's been almost 15 years since I assisted with the last one that is posted there. Prices for vintage Olds horns continued to increase after the last survey and have somewhat leveled off in the past five years.

Your Studio has been refinished with a matte finish, so perhaps the valves were replated as well. If you want to PM me, I may be able to help out with some lighter springs.
also administrator of Olds Central
www.olds-central.com
Mgsmith88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Nice! Reply with quote

I've had my eye on an Olds from around that time, absolutely love it. But the finish on yours is killer! I don't have anything helpful for you, but great looking axe!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early Olds Studio (before they cheapened it and went to all brass construction) is an amazing horn. Tonally it is one of the most flexible out there responding to mouthpiece and blow in an exaggerated fashion relative to most. Solid mid-century intonation characteristics with moderate resistance. The response is excellent, but it has enough mass to be stable when you push it. A skilled player can even finesse the amount of edge. One of the most remarkable horns I have encountered.

The AustinWinds Stage 470LT was another such extremely flexible horns. With the demise of Kanstul (who fabricated it) I am not sure if there is another chameleon that is currently in production. So, finding an Olds Studio in solid shape is quite fortunate from a playing standpoint.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: