• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

45 years away. What to do...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aae991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: 45 years away. What to do... Reply with quote

After essentially not playing for 45 years, I've decided to play again for fun and mental stimulation. I was semi-pro when I stopped and ended up in business as a career. My first concern is my trumpet. It's a beat up Bach Stradivarius 37 circa late 1960s (made in Elkhart). Should I spend the money to refurbish it? The bell was damaged and hammered out many years ago. The main slide is stuck. Valves seem okay. Would I be better off buying something new or lightly used?

Next question is my embouchure. I had some bad habits when I stopped long ago that might have made playing more difficult than needed. Should I start like I never played before and learn correct habits?

Thanks for any advice. I've missed playing all of these years, but my career got in the way. My ultimate goal would be to play in a local wind ensemble made up of other local musicians.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Some thoughts for you:

Quote:
My first concern is my trumpet. It's a beat up Bach Stradivarius 37 circa late 1960s (made in Elkhart). Should I spend the money to refurbish it? The bell was damaged and hammered out many years ago. The main slide is stuck. Valves seem okay. Would I be better off buying something new or lightly used?

Take your trumpet to your local repair shop. They can have it back in playing shape quickly given that the valves work well. Don't worry about "refurbishing" it for now -- just get it back into playing shape. Once you've been playing again for a while you can decide if you want to fully refurbish it, get a different horn, etc. A good decision point for that might be when you decide you are ready to play in an ensemble.

Quote:
Next question is my embouchure. I had some bad habits when I stopped long ago that might have made playing more difficult than needed. Should I start like I never played before and learn correct habits?

Find a teacher and work with him/her to get you off to a good start. Do that right away. Bad habits can develop/return quickly. You want to start off your return to trumpet playing with good habits.

Also, a teacher can develop a practice routine that makes sense for you: What to practice and how to practice it.

Good luck, and have fun!
aae991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice! I already contacted Dana Hofer brass repair here in the Chicago area. As for teachers, I'll look into that. Yes, those old habits worry me, even if this is just for fun.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of depends on what encourages you and how much coin you have. If you need something new and shiny, get a new horn for incentive to practice. If that's not a factor, send your horn to James Becker at Osmun Music and he'll put in top condition.

Regarding your embouchure, yes definitely start anew and do it right. There are different embouchure theories and you'll no doubt get conflicting suggestions. So rather than dissing other systems, it's just what appeals to you and works for you. I personally had good results by combining Maggio's exercises (not his embouchure, just the exercises), and The Balanced Embouchure.

Regarding gentle comeback texts, you could explore David Hickmans' 100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player or Mitchell on Trumpet. Both are self-contained, progressive and balanced set of lessons.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
aae991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
It kind of depends on what encourages you and how much coin you have. If you need something new and shiny, get a new horn for incentive to practice. If that's not a factor, send your horn to James Becker at Osmun Music and he'll put in top condition.

Regarding your embouchure, yes definitely start anew and do it right. There are different embouchure theories and you'll no doubt get conflicting suggestions. So rather than dissing other systems, it's just what appeals to you and works for you. I personally had good results by combining Maggio's exercises (not his embouchure, just the exercises), and The Balanced Embouchure.

Regarding gentle comeback texts, you could explore David Hickmans' 100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player or Mitchell on Trumpet. Both are self-contained, progressive and balanced set of lessons.

I'm looking at the The Balanced Embouchure now. It looks very interesting. Thanks for the other suggestions as well. Dana Hofer here in Chicago is about a 20 minute drive from my house and seems highly reputable. I'll probably start there.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long tones. LONG TONES.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago area? DR. Valve, Rick Moravik, get the horn in good playing condition. There are an abundance of good qualified teachers available.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken several horns to Dana Hofer for cleaning and repair. He did good work and he's a good guy.
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend lessons!

Mark Ponzo teaches in Elgin. Very reasonable rates and an incredible teacher. PM me for his contact info, if you need it. He's worth the drive. He'll set you straight regarding embouchure and bad habits.

Good luck.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing again my daughter asked my wife if it was supposed to sound that bad.

My experience was that I was sort of able to play within a few months. But I decided to learn to play correctly and took lessons from a serious teacher. It wound up taking as long to really play as it did the first time. There are sadly no shortcuts and older muscles don’t do anything as easily as younger muscles. So don’t be discouraged if it takes a while.

Have fun. They call it “playing” music for a reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: