• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Went to a local pro for a lesson - confused and disappointed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone agrees about the talent thing, but I'll just say that I was a much better woodwind player than a trumpet player. And on brass, I was a better French horn player than a trumpet player. IMO, trumpet's in a class by itself.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kehaulani. Not everyone is cut out for certain instruments.
I've played with many players over the years who had played trumpet for over 20 years and still were very poor players. Bad range, bad sound, and poor intonation. On the other hand, I've also played with young players with maybe 5 years of playing and they could handle the instrument very well.
Talent does make a difference.
R. Tomasek
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I've played with many players over the years who had played trumpet for over 20 years and still were very poor players. Bad range, bad sound, and poor intonation. On the other hand, I've also played with young players with maybe 5 years of playing and they could handle the instrument very well.

I'm not sure it's "talent". Unless talent is a kind of stubbornness combined with a sense of "I've got to figure this out". We've all done it - spent an hour practicing a missed the same high notes, had crappy tone in the same places, etc. Once in a while it dawns on me that I should really figure this out. It's a rare day to be sure! But those days the stars align and I actually work on a problem and get into and solve it. I don't know why I can't be like that all the time. Jugding by the rest of humanity's trumpet playing I doubt many people spend much time there at all.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
R. Tomasek

Talent of "x" amount + proper instruction "z" + hard work and practice of amount "y" = generally good results.

I taught beginner band - 8th grade lessons for almost 20 years. I've had kids who didn't practice much, but had natural ability and good mechanics and did fairly well. In general, they were overtaken by those who had good instruction, practiced a lot and worked hard at it, at some point.

I've had 5th and 6th graders (started in 4th grade, 9 years old) who had been playing 2-3 years that could outplay half the kids in High School bands that I worked with. Why? They had good initial instruction, got started off on the right foot, and put in the work by getting in 2-3 hours a week at home - every week.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Robert - please check your PM In-box but let's keep it private between us. OK?

Is your In-box 100% full?

I've seen the video now, I'm formulating a response.

One thing I'll say is based on what you've presented I'm even more convinced this particular teacher doesn't have a grasp of the mechanics of what's going on and has you focusing on erroneous "concepts".

Will write more in private.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the doctor is IN.
sax you have already figured this out.
a,, you spent money
b,, you received pain

you have been had. it's a common human experience. do your research lad.
you can do this. you are good for another octave of range. it is a difficult instrument but anyone can do it with the proper help.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Thanks to all of you who reviewed my playing habits (not so good in my opinion) but none of you spotted anything completely unacceptable. Minor corrections were suggested.

For now - Thanks EVERYONE!

If you have been trying long and hard and can't play above the staff very well I'll bet that there are a one or two or maybe more specific things that you are doing that are impeding you greatly so I wouldn't call that minor. Since you don't want any more advice, never mind.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
Since you don't want any more advice, never mind.

Yes - please give me more advice. I'm open to any suggestions and I'm flexible (within certain limits).
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

you have been had. it's a common human experience. do your research lad.
you can do this. you are good for another octave of range.

Chuck - I'd rather do my best to figure that our rather than be prepared to be had another time.
However we never know when we are going to be had again.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVREWJ4xfoI&list=PL976DE9A62F7DEA55

Check this out, Urban Agnas, I've found his video helpful for working fundamentals.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, Agnas has the same "collapsed frown" type of embouchure I was strongly advised to abandon. It works for him up high but not for me.
Weird! There is one difference however: in that corners down frown position he manages to engage his top lip while my top lip in that position tends to extend further down and flatten out when I ascend.

"Don't flatten out your top lip while stretching it down and engage it instead!" - you might say.
- Oh, yeah - it's so easy
That's why I'm going to stick with what I was advised by the pro for now - bring my corners up.
At the time being I do exactly that and gradually become familiar with that position but... no tone so far.
If it doesn't work out within a reasonable time frame then... who knows what happens then.

Ed Kennedy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVREWJ4xfoI&list=PL976DE9A62F7DEA55

Check this out, Urban Agnas, I've found his video helpful for working fundamentals.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Heim wrote:

Yes - please give me more advice. I'm open to any suggestions and I'm flexible (within certain limits).

If you want some more advice you could post or send a video of you playing a short etude such as Arban page 21 #46. A few measures would do it but the first half might be better.

and/or post or send me a video of you playing
1) low C# to low F# slurred
2) starting on low C slur once and tongued once as high as you can go on open tones.
3)chromatic scale from middle C as high as you can go slurred once and tongued once it isn't necessary to start lower

I can do it faster but this gives a chance to show how consistent you are in your technique
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Heim wrote:

I sent you a message.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:

If you want some more advice you could post or send a video of you playing a short etude such as Arban page 21 #46. A few measures would do it but the first half might be better.

and/or post or send me a video of you playing
1) low C# to low F# slurred
2) starting on low C slur once and tongued once as high as you can go on open tones.
3)chromatic scale from middle C as high as you can go slurred once and tongued once it isn't necessary to start lower

I can do it faster but this gives a chance to show how consistent you are in your technique

Heim - thanks a lot for you kind offer!
I'll post you my older video with what I did up to now. Please comment in PM in response to it.

At this point I already got a number of suggestions on what I need to do. Many recommended me to completely rethink and rebuild my playing techniques.
I'm at the turning point now and there is no way I'm going to continue to play the old way. However - as you understand - it's much easier said than done.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO ALL: I want to thank so many people who took their time to review my bad playing techniques and provided me with their useful comments. I'm glad so many people here on TH are willing to help!

Christ and Robert - thank you for your video replies!
Dave, Jay, Stuart, Doug, Darryl, Heim and everyone else who I don't mention - thank you very much!

Even if I won't be able to fix my bad way of sound production on trumpet I at least know what I've been doing wrong and what prevented me from becoming a better amateur trumpet player.

As I once read on a guitar forum, someone put it very nicely regarding time spent learning a musical instrument and expecting results in response: "This World doesn't owe us anything".
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Christ and Robert - thank you for your video replies!
Dave, Jay, Stuart, Doug, Darryl, Heim and everyone else who I don't mention - thank you very much!

Hope the input helps.

As a suggestion for putting up video, you'll make it easier on your internet connection and your viewers if instead of uploading massive files to Google Drive, you upload to Youtube. You can set the privacy settings to "unlisted" so no one will see it except those you send the link to.

For simple videos like the one you made or the one I sent you, you can load the file to your computer, edit in Windows Movie Maker if it needs editing. Then to further "compact" the video from what Windows MM creates you can learn to use something like Handbrake - which is what I use to prep it. The original set of videos that I recorded on my phone add up to close to a gig, the file Windows MM created at 720p is around 188 megs, after further treatment with Handbrake the 8:39 file I uploaded to Youtube is approx 87 megs at a fairly high quality setting. I could have made it even smaller by cutting back the quality. Youtube compresses it even further. The 4:50 file you have on Google Drive is over 300 megs.

Best wishes
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O Boy!
I finally realized how I developed this poor technique and those of you who watched my video probably noticed it.
Chris noticed it and replicated it in his video reply perfectly.

What is it? - It's simply "Misinterpreted Maggio"! In other words it's misinterpreted Greg Spence who I got the fundamentals of the "AUh" shape from and again - I misinterpreted it for the high register!
In the part of embouchure formation and I just realized that: Greg Spence=Maggio.

EDIT: Sorry for my ignorance. This might be 'Farkas' rather than 'Maggio' setting. This might be as well something in between of Farkas and Maggio. It's quite difficult to interpret the exact shape which is a 'pucker smile' and assign it a specific type. I doubt it's an extreme pucker like in the Maggio method but it's not a neutral Farkas position either. Go figure.

Now, what I did wrong and how it all led to this poor technique.
- From the very beginning I got the basic shape right and it's actually quite impossible to misinterpret the Maggio-Greg shape.
- I got quite acceptable lower register up to middle C using the basic shape with one obvious mistake: I kept the shape too open, with literal interpretation of the wide open aperture that Greg demonstrates in his videos!

NOW, the biggest mistake I've made and I see how stupid it was on my part to misinterpret the core idea and misapply it in terms of the range ascend: I tried to keep the same open shape when ascending while quite correctly firming up the corners at the same time
...BUT...
to keep that open shape I had a very clear picture of in my mind I drew the whole shape down!
That's why my top lip just stretched down into a thin blanket following the whole shape formation.
Yes the corners were firming up but since the top lip was so radically stretched down it had no cushion and no tonus in it.
Is it all clear from my description?

Maggio=Greg does not work that way! (Actually no embouchure would work that way).
The shape stays in place and should get more tight while maintaining the outward lips central part. It's sort of working the corners in and making the aperture channel more and more tighter while ascending.

It just clicked! You won't believe how stupid I feel myself

The lesson with the pro wasn't wasted. He quite correctly insisted that I had to keep my top lip in place and keep it tensioned in the firm cushioned manner.
He also instructed me to roll my lips in (how he plays himself) - the conventional method, which in this part is in complete contradiction with the Maggio-style embouchure - however between the Maggio=Greg and the M-shape (roll in) there is absolutely no contradiction in terms of keeping the lips cushioned.

Ok, I'm off trying to correct the movement, it other words I'll be working on keeping the whole shape in place, make it more tight working from the corners (when needed) and watch it closely in the mirror.

Again - thanks a lot everyone for giving me food for thought!
I hope it works out. If not - then M-shape (and roll-in) will follow. However:
1. I have hard time working with the 'M' and roll-in (as I feel it).
2. I've read on the Pops site just now that he strongly recommends Maggio (read "Greg" if you will) for those who has "serious dental malformations" and looking at my teeth, it of course perfectly applies to me.

Last edited by SaxoTrump on Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more comment to explain WHY it all happened.
- From the Greg's videos and from other sources I reviewed at that point I firmly ingrained 2 ideas:
- use as little as possible vertical lip to lip compression ("work from the corners" idea)
- use as little MP pressure as possible.

Actually in my own interpretation I took both ideas to the absolute maximum. While "as little MP pressure as possible" was quite beneficial to me and it is up to this day (I had too much MP pressure before so that my top teeth were aching after playing),
the first idea - "as little as possible vertical lip to lip compression" played a really evil joke on me - you can get a complete picture of how it developed in the post above.
So... it was all mental. First - I got a "prescription" and then subconsciously tried to follow it no matter what.

Now you can probably understand why I used so much tension when trying to ascend above middle E: at that point the top lip was already quite stretched down and this stretch further caused more problems as a consequence:
1. the top lip was left without firm cushion - was thin and weak, it would not give any support to MP
2. since the emb. shape was moving down the upper part of the shape was pulled up and I used two opposing motions in my attempt to maintain the basic Maggio shape.
These two motions were working in complete opposition to each other! That is they were in conflict! - And I tied to play that way...
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
O Boy!
I finally realized how I developed this poor technique and those of you who watched my video probably noticed it.
Chris noticed it and replicated it in his video reply perfectly.

What is it? - It's simply "Misinterpreted Maggio"! In other words it's misinterpreted Greg Spence who I got the fundamentals of the "AUh" shape from and again - I misinterpreted it for the high register!

Now, what I did wrong and how it all led to this poor technique.

- From the very beginning I got the basic shape right and it's actually quite impossible to misinterpret the Maggio-Greg shape.
- I got quite acceptable lower register up to middle C using the basic shape with one obvious mistake: I kept the shape too open, with literal interpretation of the wide open aperture that Greg demonstrates in his videos!

NOW, the biggest mistake I've made and I see how stupid it was on my part to misinterpret the core idea and misapply it in terms of the range ascend: I tried to keep the same open shape when ascending while quite correctly firming up the corners at the same time
...BUT...
to keep that open shape I had a very clear picture of in my mind I drew the whole shape down!
That's why my top lip just stretched down into a thin blanket following the whole shape formation.
Yes the corners were firming up but since the top lip was so radically stretched down it had no cushion and no tonus in it.
Is it all clear from my description?

Maggio=Greg does not work that way! (Actually no embouchure would work that way).
The shape stays in place and should get more tight while maintaining the outward lips central part. It's sort of working the corners in and making the aperture channel more and more tighter while ascending.

It just clicked! You won't believe how stupid I feel myself

The lesson with the pro wasn't wasted. He quite correctly insisted that I had to keep my top lip in place and keep it tensioned in the firm cushioned manner.

I'm going to give it to you straighter than you might want.

I still think you're focusing on the wrong things.

I regard all this focus on "embouchure types" that someone came up with - fixating on what your embouchure looks like and trying to fit it into a certain mold and then trying to decide if you've got the right "interpretation" - to be highly misguided. It's obviously not working for you and I think as long as you do you're going to keep chasing your tail. Or more accurately, you need to know what it looks like when you actually get the results you want. Forget Maggio, forget Farkas, work on the Serge method.

Years ago in my teens I played in a dance band. I was in the throes of frustrating embouchure and range difficulties - there was a guy in the band who had a pretty solid high range. I tried to make my embouchure look like his. Didn't help a bit. My lips, teeth, jaw/facial structure were nothing like his.

I've seen you say things that amount to a "Eureka! I now know what I've been doing wrong!" but haven't seen any evidence that all this talk about esoteric embouchure issues of dubious usefulness has really made an impact on your playing. Based on the video I saw your sound is *okay* up to the mid staff, and even at that it's very inconsistent. One time it sounds okay, the next attempt at the same note might sound airy and unfocused. None of what I heard you do sounded truly solid. Is it correct that to date you've never played a big, resounding high C? This belies an understanding of how it works.

Have you developed even a consistently solid G on top of the staff since making the video you sent me? If not, it would seem the "secret" isn't in any of the things you've talked about. It shouldn't take weeks and months, if you find the right way it should happen pretty quickly. When you get say a decent sounding D on the staff, analyze what you're doing - do it every time. Ditto an E, F, G etc. let the sound and how it feels guide you - it should look like whatever it needs to when it's working to give you the desired results.

For what it's worth when I made that video I hadn't played much over the last couple of weeks or so, it's not like my chops are in finely tuned condition. You've heard me play solidly up to Ab over high C. I don't think about "lip to lip compression" or "corners" at all - zero, none. If the sound is there, the "lip to lip compression" is where it needs to be.

I've long considered focusing on "tight corners" to be misguided. If I do it just hampers me because it puts the muscular focus in the wrong places. There's a lot more going on than just "corners" and there are endless ways to tighten the corners that don't help playing the trumpet. I think about the grip of the mp on the lips and a more overall tension in the muscles of the lips and face. I think about air, about the opening of the teeth, about what the oral cavity feels like.

Quote:
Now you can probably understand why I used so my tension when trying to ascend above middle E

As I stated in my message to you I don't think you have *enough* of the right kind and focus of tension, I also think you might not be opening your teeth enough.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

As I stated in my message to you I don't think you have *enough* of the right kind and focus of tension, I also think you might not be opening your teeth enough.

Robert - you are completely right. I don't feel myself like I have the right kind of tension!
In a way I'm sort of "trumpet-dumb". I have a feeling that I have NO proper feedback from my playing. What did I have to do in that situation? I basically had two choices:
- Accept the fact that I'm "trumpet-dumb" and quit playing altogether.
- Make an attempt at analyzing what's going wrong and try to correct that.

I decided to go with the latter. Since they are habits deeply ingrained into the way I've played up to this point I don't think it's possible to make an immediate change like:
"Oh, I know what I was doing wrong, let me change that at the snap of a finger". I don't think it works that way.

So I don't believe I'm going to progress at the speed of light from now on. With my playing experience up to date and my current level I've proved to myself and to everyone else that I've got neither enough talent nor proper attitude at developing good trumpet playing habits.
If I never succeed on trumpet even with all the kind help of my TH friends - never mind.
You've done your best at helping me and I try to do my best to change the way I play but I need a starting point to start applying changes.
However if I'm indeed "trumpet dumb" no good intentions are ever going to help me.
I'm sorry if I disappointed you.

Robert P wrote:

It shouldn't take weeks and months, if you find the right way it should happen pretty quickly. When you get say a decent sounding D on the staff, analyze what you're doing - do it every time. Ditto an E, F, G etc. let the sound and how it feels guide you - it should look like whatever it needs to when it's working to give you the desired results.

Robert - are you familiar with the teaching of Greg Spence? Here is his channel on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mysterytomastery1

He says that there are hundreds of people like myself who come to him in their hope to improve their playing. He never promises immediate results.
He also works with people who have focal dystonia and he describes it in the following way:
"Those people can bring the MP to their lips and it's perfectly correct setting. They connect a lead pipe to the MP and it works fine.
However - once they pick up the horn and try blow something weird happens: suddenly there is a puff at the side of their embouchure and everything goes down the drain."

Greg says that the bad habits are deeply wired into one's brain and to break that barrier he developed his method in order to help people like me.
I've tried to use his method but it hasn't helped me so far. I tried to analyze where I went wrong in my post that you criticized (perhaps, quite rightly).
Greg does not focus on any kind of "proper tension". His method is based on eliminating as much unnecessary tension as possible first.

I fully understand his concepts, however:
Once I pick up the horn and prepare to blow I immediately feel myself anxious and uneasy and tensed up.

How to eliminate that first if that's a part of my personality?
- I try to eliminate any kind of tension and I still have pretty much of it and my tension-less embouchure you have observed in my video results in how I play.
- I try to apply "proper tension" and I only make the things worse since I have no proper feel for the "right tension".
- I try to eliminate unnecessary tension and go round in circles.

Last edited by SaxoTrump on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: