• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Went to a local pro for a lesson - confused and disappointed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Went to a local pro for a lesson - confused and disappointed Reply with quote

An add-on of 03.18.2020:
----------------------------
Before reading everything else related to my range (and not only) problem I want you to be aware that throughout the course of this thread and PM-communication with other people and giving it much thought I finally came to realization that my bad technique was a response, a walk-around to my physical set-up problem - I have a large scar tissue in the center of my upper lip right behind what is commonly known as a "teardrop" (natural tissue bulge). A common trick - to move a MP left or right of the teardrop does not help me because the scar tissue "knot" is rather wide and to really get it out of the way I'd have to play at the side of my mouth - which I'd rather not try.

Please refer to my posts in the specified order:
- Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:46 am (page #8 )
- Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:56 am (page #7 )
... for additional details on how I came to realization of the problem.

---------- Original post - NOT edited or modified in any manner -------------

Couple months ago I posted a thread about my playing difficulties that are mostly associated with my extremely limited range up to G on top of the staff.
Lots of you advised me to find a good teacher. I found a local pro who according to many local reviews was a real "chops doctor".
Today I had a lesson with him... my first and last lesson. I don't like his approach at all.

First of all - I've spent my last month on Greg Spence's playing philosophy and exercises (they don't help me so far but that's another story). Anyway - I like Greg's idea of relaxed tension-less playing and basically no emphasis on exact embouchure formation. Wasn't it Claude Gordon who said: "Forget about the lips" - ?

Anyway, what I was "taught" in today's lesson by the pro was completely centered around my incorrect embouchure formation. Nothing else!

What he told me:
- I rest my mouthpiece rim too much on the lower teeth - "You should have more upper lip support on the upper teeth!" - That is more mouthpiece pressure on the upper lip.
- I frown too much, my lips corners go down while they should be at least in the straight line like my mouth is at rest.
- I don't "engage" my upper lip - "It sags down inside the mouthpiece like a rag!", "Your upper lip should be tensioned and when you ascend it should be curled in and pushed forward inside the mouthpiece".

He tried to "correct" my frown embouchure by pushing the corners of my lips up with his fingers and instructed me to curl my upper lip and push it forward and it all resulted in:
- great tension in my lips
- very unnatural embouchure formation that I can't really maintain

The major comment he made he wanted me to ingrain into my memory was: "FORGET ABOUT the LOWER LIP! - IT IS JUST TO SEAL THE UPPER LIP FROM BELOW. ALL TRUMPET PLAYING COMES FROM the UPPER LIP - IT SHOULD BE TENSIONED AND CURLED IN. YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR UPPER LIP RELAXED".

He was seeing my inability to maintain the embouchure shape he requested and at the end of an 1 hour lesson he said that I'm "a difficult case he never had before".
He also added that it's worth trying to take 4 more lessons and if it doesn't help me I should be labelled as "incapable" of playing trumpet well - that is in other words "untalented".

I'm really confused and disappointed.
I better pursue the Greg Spence's principles for the rest of my life and possibly never have real success with the trumpet than agree to play that way with the tensioned and curled in upper lip and the lip corners drawn up - which I can't physically do!

The local pro is very busy in the city in all kinds of shows as a lead trumpeter and also teaching his more successful pupils who can naturally progress right from the start.
( Sorry - I'm a "unnatural difficult case" )

I remind you that I've been playing trumpet for the last 10 years and have had very little progress. G on top of the staff is my top note at best.
Greg Spence recently had a look at my playing video I posted to him and the only comments he made were: "Spend time on eliminating tension..."
- AND -
"Your lower lip is rolling back over the teeth as opposed to forward and out. I want you to imagine the air stream going upwards."

That's actually quite the opposite what the local pro told me today.
By the way this local pro as I noticed has very strong muscles around his lips and he plays with a great degree of biting for upper range - which I completely avoid but I can't play those notes at all. If I played his way I would destroy my chops completely.

Last edited by SaxoTrump on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 am; edited 9 times in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you tripped onto a teacher that's really not right for you. Given your experience I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go back.

I suggest it's probably worth your trying again with another teacher.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Find another teacher Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to a local pro for a lesson - confused and disappoi Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
First of all - I spend my last month on Greg Spence's playing philosophy and exercises (they don't help me so far but that's another story). Anyway - I like Greg's idea of relaxed tension-less playing and basically no emphasis on embouchure formation. Wasn't it Claude Gordon who said: "Forget about the lips" - ? ...

----------------------------------------
I'm not familiar with Greg Spence's views on embouchure formation and usage - quick google didn't find and 'written' info, I much prefer to have written info rather than youtube or podcast .

But the concepts of 'relaxed tension-less playing' and 'no emphasis on embouchure formation' seems to be very contrary to standard basic fundamentals. Perhaps those goals can be achieved by an advanced player who has developed very good habits and ability, and is now at the point of being able to not require so much attention to them.

I'd be most interested in Spence's teaching of embouchure for beginners - so they get started using a 'proper embouchure'. And it's likely that Spence's 'advanced teaching' is based on the students already having and using what he considers a proper embouchure.

It might also be that the OP is trying to read too much into certain minutia of Spence's method.
Look for the 'core embouchure concepts and functions' that he builds upon, not the fine details that are his 'finishing touches'.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to mention it. I have great respect for Greg Spence and all he has shared. I've watched a bunch of his videos but confess that I've not actually tried to apply any of it, though it's something I might consider in the future. And while I can't speak to what Greg means by tension-less playing, there's no way that I think he means that the lips should be flaccid or flabby. And if your interpretation of tension-less isn't giving the desired results then you may indeed have to consider a different approach, though not necessarily this local pro's approach.

By way of comparison, Charlie Porter has a series of videos where he goes to great pains to define his embouchure setup. I think he spends time on the distinction between an embouchure that has the potential for playing higher versus an embouchure that is defined by unproductive tension.

You never know what you're going to see or hear that will ultimately lead to improvement.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add one more comment on a concept that the local pro taught me today which I don't get - please comment!

So what he told me: "Your upper and lower lips are like tensioned strings of a guitar. They both have to have equal amount of tension. I see your lower lip is a string tuned up to pitch but your upper lip is a detuned string, it has no tension! You have to make it tensioned otherwise your upper notes won't speak.
That's what happens for notes up to middle C - your upper "sagging" lip is tensioned just enough to play them but for notes above the moddle C you need to add more tension in it". (and curl it in...)

I don't get his prescription at all: I form my natural embouchure shape just like blowing a candle or spitting rice and I don't now try to over-tension my lips per Grerg's method - I keep the 'Uuuh' shape intact and work with my corners for ascend, all my tension comes from the corners. I keep the middle of my lips relaxed, free to vibrate (it doesn't work for my upper notes like nothing else actually ever worked but I try to go with the Greg's method for now.)
How it affects the actual shape of my embouchure - that's beyond my control. Yes, I know that I frown but that's what naturally happens to me when I tension my corners. I can't raise the corners of my lips on request.
I also don't feel how I can curl my upper lip in to make it tensioned.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
...And if your interpretation of tension-less isn't giving the desired results then you may indeed have to consider a different approach, though not necessarily this local pro's approach.

Just a quick clarification: I keep just enough tension in my lips to maintain the "blowing the candle" shape intact and firm. I mean I don't strain my lips and maintain just the minimum amount of tension to keep the shape. - Per my feedback from the pitches being sounded.
I don't feel or see my upper lip being sagged and overly relaxed.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get away from this teacher. He may be a terrific player but doesn't know deuce about teaching embouchure.
See if you can find someone who is familiar with the Caruso approach
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
I also don't feel how I can curl my upper lip in to make it tensioned.

FWIW I never think about how to create tension, per se. When I play a tuning note C and need to transition up a step to D, to make that as clean and quick as possible it takes a collection of tiny micro adjustments, none of which I'd characterize as tension. Most importantly the entire system has to be dynamic. A little embouchure nibble, a little tongue lift, a little jaw movement, a little pivot,... Once that becomes second nature you hardly know you're doing it and less effort is needed. Then you progress to transitioning from E up to F. The adjustment is likely to be similar but different. Every step up requires refinement.

Note that this is my cryptic way of explaining my understanding of some of the concepts from Jimmy Stamp.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several teachers who post here - Jeff Purtle, John Mohan, Eric Bolvin and others - who are available for online (FaceTime, etc) lessons. You may want to check them out.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing and hearing you and without being at your lesson I'm not going to assume that you've accurately described your embouchure, how you play or what the teacher said.

Obviously, you're very critical of what the teacher said but no one here has any first hand knowledge of what the teacher said or the context in which the teacher said it. The only assumption I'll make is that the teacher wants to help you improve.

There are no instant fixes on the trumpet. It takes a long time and a lot of playing to get to a level that shows you have ability.

From your description you're at the level of a beginner. You should be open to trying anything your teacher suggests instead of concluding from the beginning that it won't work for you.

Your teacher suggested 4 more lessons. What have you got to lose by taking 4 more lessons? You're ALREADY not making progress. There are no miracle advancements on trumpet. You have to be realistic.

You mention that this teacher is a busy player with successful pupils. If that's the case I find it very unlikely that this teacher cannot guide you in ways that will improve your results.

You need to be patient and you need to be receptive to what the teacher says. If you can't be patient and you're going to be receptive only to what you agree with then you're going to have difficulty getting along with any competent teacher.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. I know how disappointing it can be to go see someone with high expectations only to find out it did't work for you.

I must say, however, that I think there is just WAY too much talk about the embouchure in your discussion. I honestly have no idea how anyone would be able to play even a single note while worrying about exactly which lip has a certain amount of pressure or tension, etc.

In my opinion, most of the great players and teachers in the world have one thing in common. They are able to produce beautiful sound and explain how to do so in the simplest of terms. They make it seem EASY!!!!

I'm not saying that it's easy to become a professional on any instrument, but there's a BIG difference between being a pro and simply being able to develop your range above g at the top of the staff. The vast majority of my students can approach high A and above within 3 years with a nice sound. This does require very consistent effort on their behalf, but the exercises are quite simple.

Are there times when the embouchure formation is severely limiting a trumpeter's development? Of course, but I find this to be a very small percentage of the time. And, even when this is the case, creating a completely new embouchure is also a very simple process as long as the student is patient. A clear, resonant tone IS NOT, and SHOULD NOT BE a difficult thing to achieve. In fact, the most beautiful, resonant tones are produced by musicians using the SMALLEST amount of effort.

I recommend finding a teacher that makes it seem easy!!

One final thought about the embouchure. It really should be formed by a natural process of releasing a steady stream of wind through a correctly positioned mouthpiece/horn and allowing the face to form in a way that lets the lips vibrate freely. Just breath in, and exhale a stream. Don't flex anything, don't blow REALLY REALLY hard, just let the wind go through the mouthpiece and listen for a clear sound. LET the facial muscles/embouchure form naturally around the clear tone and easy buzz. If you can't do that, you probably didn't start with enough wind inside of you, or you're trying to play higher than you are currently able to play. Go down to where it sounds good and be patient.

Best of luck!!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Your teacher suggested 4 more lessons. What have you got to lose by taking 4 more lessons?

Lose time and money I'm almost out of.
Hermo - I'm not so stupid not to understand what I'm looking for and I have enough intelligent judgement to analyze my experience.
What the pro "taught" me today was the complete opposite of what Claude Gordon teaches in his books - I got a few books today and I'll give them a read tomorrow.
I'm not going to grimace and strain my face to get smiling instead of frowning.
Once again - I can't NATURALLY do what he requests.

He is a successful player and he likes to work with his "natural" students who don't frown. His approach is very physical. After playing his double high C there was a deep depression in his upper lip - a blue/red spot. He plays that way for decades and his chops are OK.
When he played that note his MP rim was down to his teeth - it almost disappeared - that's how much biting he uses. It works for him.
If I played that way I would destroy my gentle chops and teeth. He is a monster - I'm not.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:

One final thought about the embouchure. It really should be formed by a natural process of releasing a steady stream of wind through a correctly positioned mouthpiece/horn and allowing the face to form in a way that lets the lips vibrate freely. Just breath in, and exhale a stream. Don't flex anything, don't blow REALLY REALLY hard, just let the wind go through the mouthpiece and listen for a clear sound. LET the facial muscles/embouchure form naturally around the clear tone and easy buzz. If you can't do that, you probably didn't start with enough wind inside of you, or you're trying to play higher than you are currently able to play. Go down to where it sounds good and be patient.

Best of luck!!

Dave

Dave - thanks a lot for your thoughtful message.
I play exactly the way you describe. I CAN play with a nice resonant tone up to middle C but above that everything begins to "narrow down" and above F on the top line I normally have no sound coming out.
I've tried to develop my sound above middle C for years with no success. My lips don't vibrate naturally from middle C up. I can get D, E, F and sometime s "top of the staff G" but by the G it becomes a hissing thin tone at best.
I can't explain it to you, how it feels. It's just like I have no potential to play higher. That's what I feel in general terms.
Greg Spence said that I'm tensing up too much but I feel that the tension is the response to the lack of my potential to reach those notes.
That is I feel that I'm NATURALLY tensing up. Sounds nonsense? - It does. However that's what happens to me. I try to relax as much as I can and still it doesn't work for me.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Again!

Without actually hearing you play, my final thought is that you may not be allowing your tongue to move up and down in your mouth while you ascend through the register. This "tongue arch" is what allows us to control the speed of our wind without forcing anything. My students begin playing out of Bai Lin's Lip Flexibilities book as soon as they are able to play 3rd space c. The first 4 exercises don't go above that note.

The key is to allow the wind to flow out naturally and to allow your tongue to raise and lower inside your mouth as you ascend and descend. I like to use the syllables "AH" "OOH" and "EEH" to help. If you can whistle, then you already know exactly how this concept works. This is how you can change the pitch of your whistling without tensing any muscles in your body. Playing the trumpet is similar.

The beauty of this book as that you can always begin on the lowest line in each set and work your way up.

Without Fail, my student's ranges begin to increase dramatically once they start to understand the feeling of the tongue arch being used properly.

Best of luck!

Dave

- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Again,

I'd like to finally add that I'm not suggesting trumpet playing is so easy that there's no need for a teacher. I'm suggesting that great teachers can explain the fundamentals of playing in such a way that it seems very manageable. It's not rocket science, and there's no magical system. It just takes knowing what to do, and the patience to do it.

It should be a simpler process than many realize, IMO.

Best of luck!

- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:
... my final thought is that you may not be allowing your tongue to move up and down in your mouth while you ascend through the register. ...

---------------------
I suggest trying a more aggressive tongue movement.
FORCE an upward tongue arch with a slight forward tongue movement as you approach higher notes. The muscle exertion of moving your tongue in that way might simulate your 'lip muscles' to produce the necessary lip tension to vibrate faster for the higher notes.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can feel your frustration!
We really cannot help you without seeing and hearing you play in person first hand.

My advice: find a close-by professional teacher, not a player. Most commercial pro players are naturals and do not really know why they are successful. (Orchestral professionals are a different lot altogether.)

Hopefully a true teacher can diagnose your embouchure and suggest a corrective path to your desires.
Caruso students would be my first choice, with the advance acknowledgment that they might not exist in your part of the world.
Best of luck in your search. Do not give up hope!
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that you could find a fairly large subset of first class, commercial, lead players who would say that the “secret” to the upper register is the lower lip (and jaw). Same thing for pulling down the corners, i.e., frowning. The point to be taken from this would be that the didactic teacher should be ditched.

There are different ways to build sound, endurance, and range. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right teacher/method/approach to make things happen.

Of the many online possibilities for great teachers, some already mentioned, I have had personal experience (face-to-face or digital) with these ...

If you’re already comfortable with Greg Spence, get a Skype lesson from him; enroll in his Mystery to Mastery (WindWorks); then get another lesson with Greg after you’ve been using his method for a couple of weeks. See where that takes you.

Jeff Smiley’s Balanced Embouchure is terrific for the right student at the right time. I don’t know if Jeff gives Skype lessons but it would be very helpful in explaining some of his concepts and exercises. Check out the BE Forum to get a taste.

George Rawlin gives Skype lessons which would be very helpful in getting the most out of his AirPlay video series. His video course produces results. You just have to get past the unsophisticated production values of the videos and must understand that simple concepts are not simplistic.

Clint McLaughlin (Pops) is an embouchure mechanic as well as a conceptualist.

Eddie Lewis has a physiological training approach that can get the most out of anyone who has the discipline to adhere to the schedule. Start with a few Skype lessons.

None of these men are interested in producing “trumpet operators” – they focus on developing musicians with appropriately beautiful sounds.

Ditch the teacher.

-Denny
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
What the pro "taught" me today was the complete opposite of what Claude Gordon teaches in his books.

You are apparently familiar with the teachings of Claude Gordon. Are you doing the things that Claude Gordon said you need to do? If not, why not? If so, why aren't those things working for you? Is there some possibility that you think you're doing the things Claude Gordon said you need to do but that, in reality, you're not actually doing those things?

There's nothing wrong with getting second opinions. So, if you're unhappy with your experience with the teacher you met with you're certainly free to contact and meet with someone else.

What I would discourage is relying on self-analysis. It can be very difficult to accurately diagnose the fundamental issues which create problems in playing the trumpet, especially for a player suffering from serious issues. That's because playing the trumpet is a combination of many multiple inter-related factors.

Your problem is with your embouchure. Your problem is not with tongue arch or air. The full range of the instrument can be played even if the player doesn't have a tongue and minimal air is required to produce a clear sound of any pitch at low volume. If your embouchure is correct and your air is sufficient you will produce a clear sound of the desired pitch.

In order to change your results you're going to have to change something about your embouchure and, from the sound of things, those changes are going to have to be very profound. You are probably going to be spending at least half your time forcing yourself to stop doing the things you've been doing. What changes are you willing to make? Just as important, what changes are you unwilling to make even if your teacher says you need to make those changes in order to get the results you want? The answers to those two questions will probably determine your destiny on the trumpet.

If a teacher knows more than the student knows (which, to me, summarizes the teacher/student relationship) the last thing the teacher wants is a student who is going to argue about what the teacher is trying to teach.

As I said in my original post, it can take a very long time and a very sizeable amount of playing to obtain results. There are no quick fixes. The thing you say you can't do and resist doing may be the very thing you need to do over an extended period of time in order to get the results you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: