• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lube Master Trumpet Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
JVL wrote:
ok thanks.
Just a suggestion, 17.30mm is not a current ID used by lead players, and will be considered a too large ID by many of us lead players...
I doubt you'll sell many of them.
Anyway, good luck to you, and many thanks for the very good videos you share.
best

There are many lead players who play this size. I understand it's not for everybody though.
Best,
Tom

Would need to be closer to 16mm for me to get interested but hope it does well for you.
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blasticore wrote:
For anyone's reference, 17.30 mm is around a .681 inch diameter. Depending upon where the inner diameter measurement is, that should actually be in the ballpark of a Schilke 14a4a or Reeves 43, as they said.

Relying on the feel is a good idea, but it can also be deceiving, just as the measurements. It's going to take the process of someone's face getting the hang of anything to make sure it's working. That's not a quick thing, but it also shouldn't seem like an impossible task at first. Somewhere in the middle - hopefully closer to the end of being functional - is at least where someone would want to be.

I switched to a .618 inch diameter a few months ago, and my initial impression is that it feels bigger than the .630 diameter I was playing for several years.

That said, the 17.3 diameter is going to satisfy a lot of players' needs, since 14a4a and Reeves 43 models are pretty widely used; but it's also going to be out of the ballpark for a lot of us. For me, that's not even remotely in the same league as far as inner diameter size goes, but it's important to remember that many of us (like me) are playing on specialized mouthpieces, in very specific diameters, with very specific cups, etc.

While I always like to see some variety in fitting sizes, having a lot of models is an inventory nightmare. Warburton has probably the biggest production-line series of mouthpieces, and they're a lot more organized than I am, when it comes to keeping something like that together. Those guys deserve a beer, and the Monster Oil guys deserve a good scotch. I'm gathering something more mature than 21 year is in order.

Haaahahahaha!!! 21-year will be fine....

Lead mouthpieces are waaaay more difficult than orchestral. Orchestral is easy - diameter must be between 1 and 1.5 or maybe a big 3. Lead can be anything from 1.25 rim like Arturo to .610 for others. I suspect we'll release a smaller diameter some time next year depending on how sales go for these...

Best,

Tom
www.BrassChats.com
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these produced by Pickett for monster?

Last edited by Aspeyrer on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
blasticore wrote:
Those guys deserve a beer, and the Monster Oil guys deserve a good scotch. I'm gathering something more mature than 21 year is in order.

Haaahahahaha!!! 21-year will be fine....

Get yourselves down to Florida. I try to keep some good scotch on the shelf.

Quote:
Lead mouthpieces are waaaay more difficult than orchestral. Orchestral is easy - diameter must be between 1 and 1.5 or maybe a big 3. Lead can be anything from 1.25 rim like Arturo to .610 for others. I suspect we'll release a smaller diameter some time next year depending on how sales go for these...

Aside from the diameter, you have a lot of other factors afoot as well. Cup volume, cup shape, perceived depth, angle going into the venturi (you're going to find a lot of different preferences here), etc. That's not even considering rim contour, width, where the angle is located for the "bite, and so on.

There are some generalities you can work with, but if you're looking to do one model, you can only go with what's going to work for the majority of the target audience.

You guys are doing a good job. I keep recommending your lube to students and repair clients. I scored a bundle of basically everything you make about 6 months ago (rotor oils included), so I got to test all of it. It's unusual when it comes to oil/grease for me, but I don't have any suggestions for product line expansion, or quality resolution.
John Miconi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number 3 coming my way. Just ordered it!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what's the dispatch time frame for these? I just remembered that I ordered one ~10 days ago but dunno if it's shipped. Obviously with everything going on there will be delays which is totally fine. Just wondering.
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Hey, what's the dispatch time frame for these? I just remembered that I ordered one ~10 days ago but dunno if it's shipped. Obviously with everything going on there will be delays which is totally fine. Just wondering.

Oh no!! Please send an email to monsteroilllc@gmail.com. Sorry about that.

Best,

Tom
www.BrassChats.com
tkdstevie13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to add my 2-cents in here. Recently got a Lubemaster Three and have been playing it daily for about 2 weeks now. The mouthpiece feels great, sounds great and the rim is more comfy than the typical Bach rim. Definitely going to order the Lead and One models at some point in the near future.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "Three" arrived and I really like it!

I'd describe all of the characteristics as 'Medium', but in a good way.

Comfortable rim. More of the flat side than the round side. A fairly medium bite.

The cup looks like a bit of a B/C hybrid.

Throat and backbore feel fairly open.

I'd guess there is #24 throat but I don't care enough to measure.

Plays free and feels comfortable in all registers. I don't feel like I'm playing a bucket or struggling with it. Although certainly doesn't feel or sound too bright or brittle.

High D's and Eb's feel easy enough.

Intonation is good.

On the one hand, it's not a mouthpiece that makes me go... WOW.

On the other hand, it is a mouthpiece that gives me no real reason to reach for something else, either. It doesn't feel like it is getting in my way.

I know that doesn't necessarily sound like a ringing endorsement, but if you do ordinarily play any sort of Bach 3 / Yamaha 14 or 15 / Schilke 14/ etc you will very likely prefer this mouthpiece IMO.

In short, it gets my recommendation, for what little that is worth!

The only thing is you have to hope your fellow trumpet players don't ask what mouthpiece you're playing

Friend: "What mouthpiece is that?"
You: "A Three"
Friend: "A Bach 3?"
You: "Nah, it's a *mumble mumble* Three"
Friend: Sorry, what?
You: "A *mumble mumbe* Three"
Friend: "Why are you talking like that?"
You: "Oh, geez, Gary. The brand is LUBE MASTER, alright?"
Everyone Else in the Room: *Awkward Silence*
Friend: "Sorry I asked..."
*awkward pause*
Friend [Whispered]: "So... Any good?"
You: "Yeah, it's great..."

John Miconi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Monster/Lube Guys,

The #3 LubeMaster trumpet mouthpiece is great. Very comfortable rim, great sound that really resonates through my entire range. What I like most, you only mention it was a 3 Mount Vernon type mpc. I like that I don’t know the throat size, backbore, etc. You know how anal and analytical trumpet players can be.
My next purchase may be your Lead mpc!

Great stuff!
SGT John Miconi (Ret)
229 Army Band
Baltimore, Maryland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: