• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sleeper? Monette B4LD/2S3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Sleeper? Monette B4LD/2S3 Reply with quote

I just got a Classic Resonance version of this piece and wanted to mention it because I haven’t seen it mentioned a lot.

As the model nomenclature indicates, it has the rim of the B4LDS1 with the cup of the B2S3.

I find it to be a fantastic combination. The rim hits me just right—I’ve wanted to find a “big 3” or “smallish 1.5” with a good sized cup for a while. The rim is very comfortable with just the right amount of bite for good articulations without being uncomfortable.

It’s probably the easiest mouthpiece I’ve ever played on, and with my Bach 43 I can get either a legit or commercial sound depending on how I blow. I believe it’ll be a very versatile piece and probably the best sounding piece for me I’ve ever put to my chops.

If you have a chance to try one out, it’s definitely worth your time!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all too well about the "honeymoon period" and all of that, but I recently took about a year off the horn--I was a seminary student and Dec, 30 2018 was my first Sunday officially as pastor of my own church, and then in March of 2019 I met the love of my life and got married in Sept., with the added bonus of 3 boys (who are now 13, 8 and 5--she was a widow who lost her husband to brain cancer). So, as one of my deacons has said, he doesn't know anyone whose life changed as much in a year as mine, .

So, didn't have much time for the horn, but really started missing it and started back playing in January of this year. I tried all sorts of mouthpieces, but nothing felt right any more (I've also lost a good bit of weight in the past year).

I was struggling to get out of the staff on anything--tried everything from "7" diameters all the way up to a Schilke 20 and my old Monette B11 that I've hung onto forever. I got my "sound" back pretty quickly, but just couldn't get any range or endurance to save my life.

When I tried this mouthpiece everything instantly clicked back into place. I can get comfortably up to high C again and I've hit D and Eb a few times.

Monettes have always worked pretty well for me--actually usually better than anything else, but I never quite felt like I'd found the right piece, until I tried this one.

This mouthpiece made me go "yep" to everything I've seen on any of the Monette promotional videos.

This is true of any brand of mouthpiece. There are lots of great mouthpiece manufacturers with great design concepts, and some work better for some people, and some work better for others, but regardless of overall design concepts, there is no substitute for finding a good match for your horn and a good fit for your face.

I think I finally know what it feels like to have everything match and line up like it's supposed to.

It's so much fun to be back playing again, and it's even more fun to have the confidence that a well-fitting mouthpiece provides.

There are no magic mouthpieces, but there is something to be said about having one that matches you.
nzhangtrpt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the post. I remember commenting on one of your previous posts about the B6DS1 which has been working for me well recently. I would definitely like to try out different mouthpieces but the deal is that it would be some serious investment in time and money to get a new Prana Res made for all of my horns, picc, Bb, Eb, etc. If I find a mouthpiece working better and go ahead ordering the same size for all my equipment, once the honeymoon period ends I might end up getting a bunch mp's I won't touch.

-N
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Glad you’re having success! I’m on a B3S3 and I’m very happy with it. Next for me is a C trumpet mouthpiece and that’ll likely be monette as well. Just bought a GR for big band and I regret it! Should’ve went with monette LT.

PS what does the “LD” mean?
bjcord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Interesting. Glad you’re having success! I’m on a B3S3 and I’m very happy with it. Next for me is a C trumpet mouthpiece and that’ll likely be monette as well. Just bought a GR for big band and I regret it! Should’ve went with monette LT.

'LD' cups are deeper (D) versions of shallow lead (L) mouthpieces. So LD cups are considered semi-shallow, not unlike a Bach D cup depth.

The B4LD/2S3 has the same RIM as the B4LD S1, but a standard-depth cup like the B2 S3.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjcord wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:

'LD' cups are deeper (D) versions of shallow lead (L) mouthpieces. So LD cups are considered semi-shallow, not unlike a Bach D cup depth.

The B4LD/2S3 has the same RIM as the B4LD S1, but a standard-depth cup like the B2 S3.

I’m glad to hear from BJ on this! I have loved my Monettes over the years and I currently enjoy a B4S S2 and a B4LDS1, both Prana. I had a B2S3 but it was just a bit too big for me. I loved the sound though. What would be the difference between this B4LD/2S3 and a B4S3?
bjcord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
bjcord wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:

I’m glad to hear from BJ on this! I have loved my Monettes over the years and I currently enjoy a B4S S2 and a B4LDS1, both Prana. I had a B2S3 but it was just a bit too big for me. I loved the sound though. What would be the difference between this B4LD/2S3 and a B4S3?

Happy to contribute to the discussion! The main difference between the B4LD/2S3 and the B4 S3 is in the rim contour. Rim contour is the main difference between all of the standard-depth B3 and B4 mouthpieces, which are all considered comparable to a Bach 1-1/2C: B3 S3, B4 S3, B4S S2, B4LD/2S3, and B3F S7. This size range has more rim contour variations than any other Monette size range, simply because so many players like mouthpieces around this size and we've made so many different designs for different players over the years.

The B4LD/2S3 and B4 S3 actually have identical inside diameters (.664" by Monette's numbers), but the B4 S3 rim is flatter and has more bite to the inside edge. The B4 S3 is one of only a few Monette mouthpieces with an inside edge described as 'sharp'. Differences in contour can make a mouthpiece feel like a slightly different size, even if the inside diameter is the same. And the sensation of size can be quite subjective, and can vary from one player to another. Contour differences and the subjective sensation of minute size differences are just a few of the reasons why simply looking at inside diameter measurements is not a very informative or reliable way to choose a mouthpiece.

Another reason to avoid getting too caught up in looking at measurements is that different people (and different makers) will take their measurements in different places on the rim, which is a curved surface, and even a slight difference in where a measurement is taken can yield a very different number. If you use the published specs from one company to choose a mouthpiece made by someone else, it is very likely that you will end up with a mouthpiece that feels like a different size. This is why it is much more useful to use a 'real world' size comparison to a common Bach or Schilke size that most people are familiar with, rather than getting too caught up in what the numbers may appear to indicate about size differences. Schilke in particular is known for using published measurements that cause their mouthpieces to appear much larger on paper than they actually will feel on the chops when being played. For example, let's say you play a Schilke 14a4a and you are looking for a Bach mouthpiece with the same rim size. Schilke's published ID measurement of the 14a4a is .673" (or 17.09mm). Now you look at Bach's numbers, which will tell you that their 1-1/2C, 1-1/4C, 1C, and 1X are all .669" (or 17.00mm), which would seem to indicate that all of these Bach mouthpieces are SMALLER than your 14a4a. I don't think any player who is familiar with the 1X and the 14a4a would agree with that comparison. The numbers are usually completely useless.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that I’ve tried many mouthpieces and many Monette mouthpieces (including those mentioned like the entire 1 series [1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5], B/C2S3, x2S5, x3S3, x4S3, x4SS2), and I can say that the B4LDS/2S3 is by far the best mouthpiece I’ve ever played in this size range (1.5Cish) and I’m just surprised I haven’t heard more about it. I didn’t even know it existed until recently. I’m also really digging my XLT BLMS1 for a more commercial sound.

If you like pieces in this 1.5/Big 3 range be sure to give this one a shot—it might be a pleasant surprise for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: