• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High School High Range

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotcha. My point was that it is very unlikely that there would be such a competition in the art department. It is understood among most visual artists that good art is good art, and there is a place for different styles. I practice high range daily with pedal tones (as in C. Gordon exercises) because it improves the sound through all the registers.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Dave,
I have followed along with some of your posts and have a question. Let's say you take a student and give him a good sound in your band playing 3rd trumpet the first year. He works very hard, even through the summer. He comes back his second year and is only good enough to play 3rd part but has a great sound. The last year he is a great player in technique and tone but cannot play above a G (first note above the staff). Does he get to play first part because he sounds so good, does he play 3rd part his final year, or do you tell him to take everything he can't play down an octave?

Ever Curious
Batman
macleod13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
Batman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 10:03, trumpjosh wrote:
Normally I wouldn't post on a topic like this, but this is a pet peeve of mine. I'm sorry, but pushing extreme high range in high school is not usually helpful to a developing trumpet player. I teach trumpet at a university and I really could care less if an entering student could play double high Q. A good usuable high range is esential to an aspiring player, but I would rather take a new student with good fundamentals and a fairly solid high C than someone who had developed lots of bad habits to play extreme high notes for their jazz band. What I try to get my students to do is to play effortlessly in their middle register first and then to extend a big beautiful sound through the rest of their range (high AND low).

FWIW,
Josh

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: trumpjosh on 2002-03-27 10:10 ]</font>

Dave,
What do you do with a player like the one I used as an example? Even Trumpjosh in his post quoted above has stated that his trumpet players useable range needs to be at least a solid high C leading me to believe that being able to play this note is a prerequisite for entering his program.

Ever Curious
Batman
Locke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you people crazy?!! I would bet A LOT of money that none of you trumpet players could play a Double ANYTHING at all dyanamic levels, and with a good tone, and after playing trumpet for about.....20 MINUTES! I can squeak all kinds of notes all day long....WHO KNOWS....I might be playing triple SQUEALS. Thats all they are...SQUEALS. For all of you so called Maynard Jr.'s, could you please tell me at what all dynamic levels you can play them at? I would HIGHLY doubt that you can play a Double Ab at a FFF or PPP(well maybe, considering it is probably just a thin sqeak) and all in between. Tell the truth. Lying doesn't make you any better of a trumpet player.
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-02 21:27, Locke wrote:
Are you people crazy?!! I would bet A LOT of money that none of you trumpet players could play a Double ANYTHING at all dyanamic levels, and with a good tone, and after playing trumpet for about.....20 MINUTES! I can squeak all kinds of notes all day long....WHO KNOWS....I might be playing triple SQUEALS. Thats all they are...SQUEALS. For all of you so called Maynard Jr.'s, could you please tell me at what all dynamic levels you can play them at? I would HIGHLY doubt that you can play a Double Ab at a FFF or PPP(well maybe, considering it is probably just a thin sqeak) and all in between. Tell the truth. Lying doesn't make you any better of a trumpet player.

Well we have another hostile addition to our forum family I see. He has attacked SC in the SC forum claiming that SC is a gimmick and a waste of time, while contradicting his own words while asking what SC is about.
The usual person who attacks something that he knows little or nothing about. Go figure.
Locke do you have an email address to share with us? Do you want to share your full name and city of residence with us?

BTW I give Jerome Callet credit for elevating my career as a professional trumpeter even before he wrote the SC book and matter of fact I have a good sound to double c and beyond. Even more amazing to many my low register playing improved as much as my upper register playing because of Jerome Callet and the mechanics that are now outlined in SC.

Jeff Lambardino jlambardino@yahoo.com

Lead Tpt Buddy Rich Orchestra
Lead Tpt Max Gregor Orchestra
Lead Tpt Slide Hampton (Germany)
Lead Tpt Jiggs Whigam (Germany)
Las Vegas show bands etc.....

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2002-04-02 22:11 ]
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2002-04-02 22:05, Jeff Lambardino wrote:
Quote:

Well we have another hostile addition to our forum family I see. He has attacked SC in the SC forum claiming that SC is a gimmick and a waste of time, while contradicting his own words while asking what SC is about.
The usual person who attacks something that he knows little or nothing about. Go figure.
Locke do you have an email address to share with us? Do you want to share your full name and city of residence with us?

BTW I give Jerome Callet credit for elevating my career as a professional trumpeter even before he wrote the SC book and matter of fact I have a good sound to double c and beyond. Even more amazing to many my low register playing improved as much as my upper register playing because of Jerome Callet and the mechanics that are now outlined in SC.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2002-04-02 22:11 ]</font>

Did you have that double C before Callet and just "strengthened" it with Callet or did you start from scratch?

Jerry Freedman,Jr
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,
It's obvious that Locke doesn't know some of the trumpet players you and I know.
Locke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot about SC. I have researched greatly upon it, and I still firmly believe that it is the most unnatural method that I have ever come upon. If it is such a great method, then name 3 PROFESSIONALS that have a CD out, play in a well known orchestra, or something like that. I am not hostile. I'm not afraid to not sugar coat things, and let all the brainwashed zombies rule everything.
Locke
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locke (or whatever your real name is),

You said,

" I know a lot about SC. I have researched greatly upon it."

I usually stay away from this type of response, but you seem to be blind to reality. Had you really "researched greatly upon it," you would have discovered the names of three high level professionals at Jerry's web site alone, not to mention the fine players who frequent this forum, such as Jeff Lambardino.

The "name a good player who plays Superchops" argument is such a nonissue (as you would have discovered if you had checked the older posts) that even the anti-SC guys are not stupid enough to use it.

I think that you should lurk a while longer until you get up to speed, do your homework, and so forth. And consider using your real name and a legitimate email. It's what most of the credible posters on this forum do.

Jeff Smiley
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-03 22:01, trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Locke (or whatever your real name is),

You said,

" I know a lot about SC. I have researched greatly upon it."

I usually stay away from this type of response, but you seem to be blind to reality. Had you really "researched greatly upon it," you would have discovered the names of three high level professionals at Jerry's web site alone, not to mention the fine players who frequent this forum, such as Jeff Lambardino.

The "name a good player who plays Superchops" argument is such a nonissue (as you would have discovered if you had checked the older posts) that even the anti-SC guys are not stupid enough to use it.

I think that you should lurk a while longer until you get up to speed, do your homework, and so forth. And consider using your real name and a legitimate email. It's what most of the credible posters on this forum do.

Jeff Smiley
http://www.trumpetteacher.net

Well said Mr Smiley unfortunately some folks on the web seem to do their research by shooting something down just to see what kind of replies they will get other than doing legitimate research.

Only three pro's were asked for so I think I will accomodate the request. All are bonafide SC advocates and Callet students.

1. Mike Ponella (Lead tpt Toshiko Akyioshi Big Band, Dizzy's United Nations orchestra Ponella repalced Arturo Sandovals position when he left. Free lance NY trumpeter. Teaches SC to his national and international students.

2. Ken Brader (Glenn Miller orchestra, Lead tpt Philadelpia Pops orchestra, many other credentials. Teaches SC concepts to many students.

3. Roger Ingram (No credentials needed but Harry Connick Jr, Woody Herman Big band, Maynard Ferguson big bop nouvea band MF 60th birthday tour etc... Roger gives much credit to Callet and Callet's Trumpet Yoga book original copyright 1973.

My study with Callet 20+ years ago greatly enhanced my abilities as a freelance trumpeter. In fact my useable range reached double c after my study with Callet that came in handy when I played lead with Buddy Rich. Anyone want to argue that that's not one of the toughest lead trumpet jobs that ever existed?

Augusta,Georgia

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2002-04-04 00:13 ]
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Congrats on all your achievements. I agree with you. That Buddy Rich stuff is hard. My Jazz Band played a water down version of Mercy, Mercy, Mercy last year and I could barely play any of the lines (high Eb's constantly and high d's at the end). I ended up taking most of it down.
Anyway, it's great to see another pro in the forum and sharing his expertise.
Great to meet you.
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Locke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a couple of things to say. After researching(and finding the names you have already mentioned on the site), it seems that there a FAR more professional players that do not use SC. I am plenty "up to speed" on SC. I just do not believe that it is a natural embouchure. If all the SC users can play a Quintuplet F after using it for a year, then there is something very unnatural going on. I feel that SC is like steroids and powerlifters.

Most powerlifters drink and consume tons and gallons of Protein to build muscle and see good results after HARD work is put into weight lifting, and protein is a very natural and safe supplement. Then there are those guys that do the most UNNATURAL thing possible, and take steroids and swallow 25 grams of Creatine a day(which will kill your kidneys).

I think that SC is something that takes the hard work out of trumpet playing. If SC is such a GREAT method, then why aren't there a million Maynards out there living in the stratosphere?
Locke
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locke-
I'm not sure I'm following you real well man, you said that it seems like SC is something that takes the hard work out of trumpet playing. Isn't that a good thing? Who really wants to work super hard to play? Anyhow, all this bashing is not the greatest. Just because you don't think it's a viable option does not mean it's wrong. It obviously works very well for some players, and seems to be a viable option in the embouchure world. In fact, one could almost call it a revolution. And wasn't Locke all about revolution? BTW, I don't play with SC method, I just play to have fun. Arguments aren't fun. Peace out-

ChopsMcgraw
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am going to be "Mr. Third Party Observor".

First of all, if you do not think that anyone can truly PLAY a good sounding double anything, than come to my HIGH SCHOOL BAND and there is a freshman that can play a double anything very nicely..a lot better then I bet you could, Locke. Quite frankly, jsut from looking on the outside of things, you are making a real ass of yourself (excuse my language). I would suggest trying to make some sort of peace pact with the other guys who have actually tried the SC method. You can't judge it till you try it.

However, I will agree that I have tried the SC method and it is very strang feeling to me and I do not find it easy to play in that manor even after quite some practice. I think the SC method is just a like a mouthpeice. I could suggest better mouthpeices than others, but it is all left up to the performer. I personally perfer the darker and "orchestral" sounding Arban's method of playing contrary to the more brilliant and "march-like" SC method, but that is all up to the performer.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS I suggest you take my advice Locke and shut-up while your hole isn't that deep.
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats everybody crappin on each other for? Man were hear to learn and get better. If one person wants to do SC or Claude Gordon, Or Bill Adam methods than let them do it free of insult. Its what works for you. Not what works for everyone else.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkramb19,

We were only talking to locke because he is acting, quite frankly, like a pin-head...to say the least. Read some of the comments he posted and you will understand. But, I do agree and that is what I said. Do what works for you.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww...I see we have reached hot topic status. And to think all of this was started by a 15 year old player asking how high others could play in relation to himself...

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

EDITED PART:

Oh yes, I forgot to add this. Speaking of the origanal post. If the origanal poster is still reading this, I play on a large bored (.46something) Holton MF ST207 and an 1X Bach mpc and my range is just barly at a double G. Range isn't everything. As one poster's signature thingy goes "90% of all music is below high C."

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

[ This Message was edited by: Warbird on 2002-04-04 21:45 ]
Locke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, warbird I believe I am going to have to disagree with you. I am highly capable of playing nice fat notes with great tone up to a Double D. I do not appreciate being called what you called me. I expressed my opinion in the SC forum, and then was attacked by all the big names on the forum. I typed my post before truly researching the embouchure and mechanics involved in using the SC method. I still do not agree with it, but I am not the one that is calling other people on the forum uncalled for names. How high can your freshmen trumpeter play Warbird? A better question may be, how low can he play as well?
Locke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: