• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I cant hit any note above d in the staff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle gr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: I cant hit any note above d in the staff Reply with quote

Hello, i find extremely difficult to hit any note above d in the fourth line of the staff. I play for about 2 months, total begginer. Is it normal? I try really hard but only air comes out. I use a practice mute everytime. Is it a problem? Thank you
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Yes, it's normal. Given you've only been playing for two months, don't worry about it. The more you play and practice, the higher you'll be able to play.

Be patient, and it all comes with time!

Cheers!
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not playing muted is a ‘problem’ depends on your circumstances.

I now play with a practice 99% of the time due to hearing damage. It’s the only way that I can play comfortably. It’s not ideal for a host of reasons, but it’s the only way that I can keep playing music, which I still enjoy even if it’s only for an audience of one. I also don’t play at standard tuning (A440) and, instead, play at a ‘standard’ at which the muted horn is best in tune with itself (A452), with only a couple of alternate fingerings needed.

The mute that I prefer (Wallace Studio) absolutely limits my upper range as does any of the many other mutes I’ve tried. Muted, I can play A above the staff reliably. When I play unmuted very occasionally, I can play high C. That said, my muted range has improved over time and my goal is to be able to play high C reliably, which would be good enough.

I would suggest finding ways to practice safely (pandemic-wise) unmuted and, of course, working with an experienced teacher, even if remotely. When I was an aspiring euphonium player (and ruining my hearing), my teacher asked me to avoid playing practice muted, I found a place to practice and my playing (including range) improved considerably. Good advice if you can make use of it.

Good luck!

Last edited by arthurtwoshedsjackson on Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Eagle gr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses. The reason i play muted is the fact that i live in a very small apartment with neighbours in each side, with vey thin walls. There is no way i can play open in here
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle gr wrote:
Thank you all for the responses. The reason i play muted is the fact that i live in a very small apartment with neighbours in each side, with vey thin walls. There is no way i can play open in here

That’s understandable. Most of us have been there and I’m sure many of us are there now because of the health crisis. When the coast is clear, try to scout out possible practice locations: community music schools, local colleges, a friends or family member’s house. A car. Outdoors. I’ve made use of all of those from time to time.

Last edited by arthurtwoshedsjackson on Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning players have a wide range of experiences at the beginning. I don't think the experience you're reporting is unusual. Certainly, it's within the normal range of beginning experiences. The important question is what you're going to do next.

Players start forming playing habits from the moment they start playing trumpet. Those habits tend to define them as they progress. Some habits promote the development of proficiency. Some habits deter the development of proficiency.

One big advantage you have as a beginner with only two months of playing is that you don't have a long history of playing habits. You're in the formative stage of development. Anything you're doing that is unproductive or impeding your development is much easier to correct in the early stages of development than it is after years of playing incorrectly creates thoroughly ingrained detrimental playing habits.

It would benefit you greatly to work with a qualified teacher who can set you on the right path by helping you develop playing habits which promote the development of proficiency. Getting off to the right start will give you skills you can use to make things much easier which, in turn, will make advancement much faster.

If, instead, you continue to go it alone what is likely to happen is that the same detrimental habits which are creating your current results will just get more and more ingrained and lock you into more of the same in the future.

Right now you are a clean slate. Take advantage of that fact by working with someone who will show you the way to good results before you develop detrimental playing habits that will make things difficult if not impossible. Trying to figure it out on your own can take decades of trial, error and frustration. A good teacher can take all the mystery out of playing the trumpet well.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few suggestions -

1st and most important is to know that YOU must 'make the note' with your lips. And doing that requires mostly SKILL, with controlled adjustment to your lips - NOT high mouthpiece pressure, and NOT stretching your lips thin.

2nd The lip adjustment is done in small 'steps' of lip muscle use.
Practice these note patterns to get a feel for some of the larger 'steps' -
low C / G / C (no valves pressed)
low B / F# / B 2nd valve
low Bb / F / Bb 1st valve
and similar with 12 / 23 / 13 / 123

3rd Ask your teacher about how to 'balance' the mouthpiece pressure on BOTH your upper and lower lips. It is NOT always the same.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Eagle gr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the answers. I will follow your advices.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you have yet to find the mixture of air pressure, compression, and relaxation that will produce the best sound and also enable to play higher.

Finding this combination requires time and patience. Stick with it and you will improve!

One other suggestion: remember to practice in short sessions. The often quoted “rest as much as you play” does not mean play nonstop for 30 minutes and then rest 30 minutes.

It means play for 30 seconds or less, then rest for 30 seconds. This is especially important if you’ve only been playing for a few months because you are using muscles that you’ve never used before.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming back after 40+ years. My range was never good back then. On my best day, I could get to the G above the staff back then. Now, after less than a month, I can do it routinely. I can sometimes hit High C now, which I could never do before. I am not yet working with a teacher, but I have bought a couple of books by Claude Gordon and David Hickman and I am working through them. Doing those low exercises really helps the high end even when you aren't thinking of range extension. You'll get there.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to form your embouchure correctly is a huge thing for everyone. If you get it right in the beginning, you will save yourself a lot of headaches later.

Not having much range isn't unusual at all for beginners. I would strongly encourage you to get some lessons with a good teacher. I taught middle school band for 33 years. I was overjoyed when a student wanted to get lessons from a professional. But this is not always the case. If you can find a professional trumpet player who also has a lot of successful students that would be your best bet. In today's world of internet and Zoom, etc, it is easy to find very qualified help.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I cant hit any note above d in the staff Reply with quote

Eagle gr wrote:
Hello, i find extremely difficult to hit any note above d in the fourth line of the staff. I play for about 2 months, total begginer. Is it normal? I try really hard but only air comes out. I use a practice mute everytime. Is it a problem? Thank you

I remember as a young band student that in 5th grade I could play the scale to 3rd space C, and a D. Then, in 6th grade we had a tune where the last note was a 4th space E. *gasp!* Most of us were STRUGGLING to hit that at the time.

Keep in mind, this is 6th grade - by then we already had a year plus on the horn. (7th grade was another matter - my range suddenly expanded to the point where I could play 2nd ledger "high C" - but that's not what we're talking about here.)

So having said that, I'd say that if you only have 2 months on the horn, your range is probably pretty normal. On a side note, if you can, ditch the practice mute - it changes the resistance and response of the horn.

To add to this a little bit, I'm going to assume for a moment that you're an adult beginner. One thing adult beginners often don't take into consideration is the amount of time it takes to develop learning an instrument. I started in 5th grade at age 11, but I was a full 7 years in before my playing advanced to a point where I could play and get paid for it, and I was kind of an exception to the rule - I went on to have a 10 year career as an active duty Army trumpet player.

To continue with this line of thought (and I've posted about this before) I started playing drums at age 33 - a solution for a friend who needed a drummer for his praise team. At the time, being a pro-level player on one instrument, I assumed that I'd pick up drums quickly, and that once I got the coordination under my hands and feet I'd be off and running.

Kinda.

Although the musical concepts came easy to me, and the coordination followed along fairly quickly, actually developing to a point where I could play with a level of consistency and polish, and to where I'd sound good on the recordings of the Sunday morning services, took a while. I was a full 5 years in before I could listen back to a recording and not cringe about something I'd played poorly. But I kept after it - I dug into those recordings every week I played to extract the nuggets of not only what I needed to work on to improve, but also to hear what I was actually doing well so that I could work to reinforce it.

So, you're probably doing ok, but you need to understand that it's a journey that takes time and patience - years usually before you get to a point where you'll advance to a level of proficiency where you can viably get paid for your efforts. You'll hit some milestones along the way, but you won't ever "get there." You'll just have to be patient, continue to put in the work, and above all, HAVE FUN. If it isn't fun, there's just not a lot point to it, right?

Good luck!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz the mouthpiece a few minutes each day and take it gradually higher. When the D sounds easy and free go to Eb a few times.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
Buzz the mouthpiece a few minutes each day and take it gradually higher. When the D sounds easy and free go to Eb a few times.

Buzzing the mouthpiece might help some too - ultimately it's going to come down to developing chops focus, and Long times and tonguing exercises will also go a long way towards developing that.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Eagle gr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses. I will try harder and fortunatelly i will get there. . I dont know if the practice mute make these notes more difficult to hit in the first place.
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle gr wrote:
Thank you all for the responses. I will try harder and fortunatelly i will get there. . I dont know if the practice mute make these notes more difficult to hit in the first place.

In my experience, it absolutely does. However, it’s what you have to work with. You’ll get there.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having READ the OP, I might just chime in... I have absolutely NO idea how you sound, or why your range might be limited, or if there is another factor to address.

I cannot suggesting anything past seeking advice f someone who can hear you play. Without hearing you play, t is pure guesswork to give you advice.

It’s fun to note however, that there are no comments about breathing. We are all playing a wind instrument after all...

Bottom line. Ignore all the well meaning comments which may or may not be spot on. Get some advice from someone hearing you play.

Cheers

Andy
callee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, as others have said, I think your issue is likely very normal given how long you've been playing.

Second, to add to the great advice already given here, when I was a beginner, I found that flexibility exercises - those exercises that have you repeatedly jumping from low notes to higher notes and back again - helped me the most. A number of the classic exercise books have great flexibility exercises, do yo have any of these to use? Which ones?

Finally, my son is at about the same stage as you (he is stuck at a third line b; he's been playing a couple months as well). I find with him the most helpful thing is what word he is thinking of. When playing lower notes, beginners are often told to hold their tongue arched low in the mouth as if they were singing "ah" . As the notes get higher, however, the tongue has to arch higher, more like you were singing "eeeh" . Whenever my son is going up his scale and starts to falter on the higher notes I will remind him "think eeeh!" And then the notes will come much easier for him. It's not a habit for him yet, though, so he easily forgets.

Good luck!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Having READ the OP, I might just chime in... I have absolutely NO idea how you sound, or why your range might be limited, or if there is another factor to address.

I cannot suggesting anything past seeking advice f someone who can hear you play. Without hearing you play, t is pure guesswork to give you advice.

It’s fun to note however, that there are no comments about breathing. We are all playing a wind instrument after all...

Bottom line. Ignore all the well meaning comments which may or may not be spot on. Get some advice from someone hearing you play.

Cheers

Andy

I think the only advice I offered was to be patient and to keep working on it - it was a long way coming around to it in that post, but I'm pretty sure that's all I offered.

Aside from that though, while one can talk about breathing, that kinda goes without saying considering that it's a wind instrument.

The bottom line is that the OP has a grand total of 2 months on the horn - there's only so much chops development that's going to happen with a beginner in a 2 month time span, no matter who you are or how you breathe.
- ACB Doubler

arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I neglected to mention about playing with a practice mute is that I have to remind myself not to overblow. The muted horn is supposed to be soft. Very soft. My range, intonation and endurance are all much improved when I keep pianissimo passages at barely a whisper and increase relative volume only slightly up to forte. It’s a very narrow actual (audible) dynamic range to be sure, but if I play unmuted with the same effort it all sounds about right, dynamics-wise. This is unfortunately too loud for my wounded ears, but that’s a different issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: