• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I tried a total of 12 trumpets today, decided to purchase th

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 180S37 Silver Plated Stradivarius Bb Trumpet.

http://kisielka.com/My%20Axe.htm

I get it in 3 weeks and can't wait to play!

rjkisielka@earthlink.net

[ This Message was edited by: Spawn on 2003-12-26 07:15 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new horn.

Are you getting the Bach that you played? If so why the three week wait?

Confused in Clarkston;
Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2003-12-22 14:38 ]
Spawn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I used to play a Benge (1974-1978). I tried a new Benge, but it felt like a "knock-off". I tried Getzens, Yamaha Xenos, Conns, etc... The Bach had a great feel to it when I played. I didn't want the store display model as it has some minor dings to it. I had to order it that's why the 3 week wait.

Hopefully the store model will still be there when the new horn arrives. Then I can compare both of them.

In any case, if I don't like the new horn, I may get the store display or figure something else out.

The horn was listed at $2,420.00 but I am paying $1,499.00 for it.

[ This Message was edited by: Spawn on 2003-12-22 18:28 ]
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $1500 you could have gotten a Mt. Vernon or even a New York Bach! Or, even better, a Chicago Benge! And for about $1000, a Burbank Benge! Mein Gott - what were you thinking?
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spawn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-22 18:46, UsedBits wrote:
For $1500 you could have gotten a Mt. Vernon or even a New York Bach! Or, even better, a Chicago Benge! And for about $1000, a Burbank Benge! Mein Gott - what were you thinking?

Ask 10 trumpet players their opinion and get 10 different answers.

Of the horns you mentioned, all would require me to order on-line or try to get on EBAY. Then there are the hassles associated with that. I get it, don't like it, have to send it back, wait for my money to be refunded before ordering something else.

It was difficult to find a store here that I could go to and try out the horns.
cperret
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spawn,

I'd like to encourage you to do a little more research before purchasing a new horn. There are a LOT of options out there, and while a Bach Strad is a great horn (let's admit it, it hasn't become the industry standard for nothing,) there are plenty of other excellent brands out there. I think what UsedBits was getting at is that there tons of used instruments out there that are less than what you'd be paying for your new Bach. Also, in my personal experience, Bach's have poor consistancy; One horn may play great, while others play terribly. Makers like Kanstul, Lawler, (both in the high price range) Olds, Benge, and Yamaha, (in the lower price range,) tend to have better reputations for quality consistancy. Since you're planning on investing a lot of money on an instrument, I think it would be in your best interest to look into it some more - maybe find a few local pro's who'll make some recommendation, as a teacher, etc.

By the way, I think a lot of people here can vouch for buying horns on Ebay. I've had a lot of success, and only (basically) one failure so far - I think it's pretty safe (and fun) if you know what you're looking for, and you can get great deals. (As an example, if I was in the market I'd buy pretty much any used Kanstul or Lawler in good shape - you can't lose. To date, between my Dad and I, we've bought a flugel, a cornet, and three trumpets online.)

Anyone agree about the Ebay thing? (Being a good place to find a horn)

...Anyway, good luck with whatever horn you decide!

Horns: Bach 37GH, Marvin Stamm French Besson 92BA, Yamaha 6310Z Flugel
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vouch for what Cameron's saying about online horn purchases. I remember that Bach GH, by the way. That is one fine-playing Bach!

But seriously, you can pick up two Olds Recordings on eBay for less than you're paying for that Bach, and between the two of them, I'd pretty much guarantee that you're getting at least one premium-quality horn (better than a Bach) that will last you the rest of your life, and then some!

I only have two horns (of more than 15) that I didn't buy on eBay. I had the money to experiment and get an education about horns, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Have fun with it . . . keep an open mind . . . try an Olds.

Merry Christmas!

Rich
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spawn,

Sounds like you did some homework, you tried a bunch of horns, and the deal is done. So, most of the commentary above, while valid, is moot for this purchase. By all means, factor the advice into future purchases!

BUT REMEMBER ... it's quite likely that you'll get a horn with which you'll be pleased. (If not, demand satisfaction from the dealer!)

Best wishes for a great new horn in the new year!

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
my username

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i agree with mr. thiel. you said you tried 12 horns. i'm not sure why eveyone is telling you that you should've done more research. seems like you did your research. try the one you ordered, if you don't like it, then go from there.
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn guys, leave the man alone and let him enjoy his new child instead of criticizing.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
jazzbebopswing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question for Mr. Fool. But first, enjoy your purchase, Spawn.

Mr. Fool, I've read your posts over the years and appreciate your contributions. Thanks. My question, though, is why would anyone, short of a collector, need to own 15 horns? Are they all Bb trumpets or do you have other keys and registers thrown in the mix?

Just curious. Happy Holidays.

Mark

John Erskine

[ This Message was edited by: jazzbebopswing on 2003-12-24 22:33 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while there, I got enthused with the idea of becoming a horn "collector" and was buying all kinds of interesting old horns.

I'm down from having over 40 all at once, by the way. If you want to talk to a real collector, look up wardsd (his user name on TH). There's a guy who's gotten an incredible education about horns by collecting them.

If you want to really learn a lot about horns, go ahead and buy some horns. What a great education I've gotten.

But if you want to just play one horn for the rest of your life, that's your right and privilege, and in some ways I almost envy you.

At 48 years old and having owned probably a hundred horns now in my short life, I'd say that my opinion(s) might be considered valuable by anybody whose ego permits them to ask for my opinion(s). I don't believe I was criticizing our friend Spawn, by the way, in response to whomever it was who said we were all criticizing Spawn. I was merely offering my input based on my experience. After all, Spawn was the one who apparently had doubts about his choice or he wouldn't have started this thread.

Rich (a satisfied Olds Recording/Super/Mendez player)
Spawn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a great education by reading all these posts. I appreciate the time everyone took and the advice given. I am contacting http://www.pickmusic.net/trumpet%20store.htm via e-mail. I feel I should also try the Kanstul Chicago Series 1070 trumpet. My wife thinks I am a little crazy by now. I've spent days on the computer checking out this and other forums, checking out EBAY and on-line stores. Thanks again everyone. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. I hope to have my new horn in 2004. Of course, then, I'll be checking out the other forums for advice on improving my playing. I also want to get my horn soon as I want to offer playing taps for the military veterans funerals in my area. (I'm a retired Marine MasterSergeant who served 23 years and want to do some "playback".)

rjkisielka@earthlink.net
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said you have ordered the horn, I would think the only choice at this point is between the store model and the new ordered horn. If the store model plays better than the new one, go with it, even in spite of a few dings. The important thing is, be happy with your choice, and know you picked the best horn for you.
Spawn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cancelled my order for the Bach with no problem.

I ordered a Kanstull Chicago 1070 from PiCK Music.

I sent Priscilla an e-mail asking for her to send along
a 1001, or a Wayne Bergeron model ZKT1600 (in silver)
to try alongside the 1070 in case the bore size is too much for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Spawn on 2003-12-26 13:50 ]
cperret
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Kanstul horns. In fact I know several people who've told me it's the only name they'd buy sight-unseen. (My Dad's Kanstul Cornet's not too bad, either.) Sounds like you're on the right track!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-26 13:47, Spawn wrote:
I sent Priscilla an e-mail asking for her to send along
a 1001, or a Wayne Bergeron model ZKT1600 (in silver)
to try alongside the 1070 in case the bore size is too much for me.

Priscilla is great to work with . . . I think you've made a good choice, here.

I played the Wayne Bergeron model back in March, and if I'd had the bread at the time I'd probably be playing it. Truly a great horn! However, it would seem that "fate" wanted me to play Olds trumpets, and y'know what? I'm happy with that!

Rich
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spawn,
I had one of PC's "WB" trumpets the last two weeks of Nov. Like the Rich guy said, had I the bread at the time I'd be playing it now. The brushed lacquer finish makes a very nice looking horn. It plays very easy and stays in tune up and down the scale. Best horn I ever played. (But of course I'm one of them CBP'ers.) I have a KTR 700 at the present and I don't think Kanstul's quality and fit can be beat anywhere. Please post you impressions on these K horns after you play them.

-Gary Scott
Spawn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC and I have been e-mailing back and forth. It boils down to the Chicago 1001 and the WB that I'll be testing. I prefer the silver look. I'll take pictures of both horns as well as post what my thoughts are. I'm a returning player, so just add a pinch of salt to my comments.

I was a bit worried that the 1070 would be too much for me.

rjkisielka@earthlink.net
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw this out...

My personal experience, and that of some respected dealers, leads me to comment that even Kanstuls may benefit from a routine checkup and cleanup. A recent purchase (for a friend's son) revealed a lot of typical manufacturing artifacts in the horn (solder blobs, etc.) The overall fit and finish was great, but internally a clean-out helped a lot.

Overall, I still think Kanstul is the most reliable of the major manufacturers, but almost any horn (new or old) can benefit from the tender care of an expert craftsman.

FWIWFM - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: