• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning slide always needed?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1tch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Tuning slide always needed? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just having a go with using the main tuning slide on my B Flat trumpet, using the tuner with the slide all the way in and one of those online tuners, moving the tuning slide out doesn't really make any difference unless I put the slide a long way out with not having the slide out at all seemingly the closest setting to whichever note its aiming for.

Is the tuning slide always needed or is it just something that is used to be in tune with others?

Edit:

Here are the Hz I get for the C major scale with the tuning slide all the way in (although 3rd valve slide is out for D):

C - 235Hz
D - 262Hz
E - 295Hz
F - 315Hz
G - 345Hz
A - 390Hz
B - 415Hz
C - 465Hz
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuning to the other players is the primary purpose. Also your 'natural tendency' changes after playing for several minutes (or more) - I think most brass goes sharp. Environmental temperature has an effect.

Use the electronic tuner as a guide, but being 'in tune' with the other players is more important.

Listen, push it in, pull it out - put it back to where it's been for the last 20 years.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, the tuning slide has no function at all.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.

You can play any pitch on any trumpet regardless of the position of any of the slides, or valves for that matter. But there are very specific tubing lengths that produce any particular pitch best (most clear, best tone, least effort). Any other length requires various degrees of additional effort.

And musicians almost never refer to frequency (Hz) to describe tuning. Most all available tuners measure in cents with one cent equaling one one-hundredth of a semitone.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
You are right, the tuning slide has no function at all.

When I remove my tuning slide I find that I play fewer wrong notes.......at least out the bell.

There's a joke about a guy playing trumpet in a band doing a gig at a rural Elks Club. The house piano is extremely flat so all the players have their tuning slides all the way out. Between sets the players are visiting the bar and getting more and more loaded. By the beginning of the third set our trumpet player is so loaded that he can hardly find the bandstand. The music starts and our trumpet player stands up to take a solo, not noticing that his tuning slide has now fallen out of his trumpet. He tries a couple of notes, looks bewildered and then looks at his bandmate and says, "Take it man, my chops are gone."
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Listen, push it in, pull it out - put it back to where it's been for the last 20 years.

Funny how that works.
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at those frequencies. A concert A (B in Bb pitch) would normally be 440 Hz. I think the Europeans some times deviate from that slightly. Your concert A is shown as 415 Hz which would be quite flat. What else is going on with your horn? Are slides pulled, is it cold, are you using the right mouthpiece, is it a Bb pitch instrument?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah those numbers look low...really low
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiphonic wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

Funny how that works. :P

That's because the pitch depends on speed of sound in air, and the speed of sound in air is mostly a function of temperature and not on anything else like pressure (altitude). We recently took a vacation in the mountains and I brought my cornet. The tuning slide was fine where it was, even though potato chip bags from home were bulging when we arrived.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should use your tuning slide. I mean... lead pipe buzzing is a good warmup, but if you wanna play the horn, use the leadpipe.
And your ears.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed of sound is related to pressure, temperature, humidity, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound#Altitude_variation_and_implications_for_atmospheric_acoustics

Tuning aside, I can say all my notes are high notes since the house sits at about 7500'.

Can't top this guy, though: https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/k-4/features/F_Just_Like_Home.html
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning slide always needed? Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:

Here are the Hz I get for the C major scale with the tuning slide all the way in (although 3rd valve slide is out for D):

C - 235Hz
D - 262Hz
E - 295Hz
F - 315Hz
G - 345Hz
A - 390Hz
B - 415Hz
C - 465Hz

When you say B are you using the German term? Then you are mostly a little flat but like someone else said there can be other factors besides length affecting the pitch.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

And musicians almost never refer to frequency (Hz) to describe tuning. Most all available tuners measure in cents with one cent equaling one one-hundredth of a semitone.

I believe that he was referring to the actually frequency of the pitch. Cents only refer to degrees within a half step. No one ever says that you are 125 cents sharp. The tuner would call it the next note.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a 440Hz Concert "A", here is how your numbers should compare on an equal-tempered scale:

C - 235Hz should be 233.08Hz (almost spot on)
D - 262Hz should be 261.63Hz (100% in tune)
E - 295Hz should be 293.66Hz (almost spot on)
F - 315Hz should be 311.13Hz (a little sharp)
G - 345Hz should be 349.23Hz (a little flat)
A - 390Hz should be 392.00Hz (almost spot on)
B - 415Hz should be 440.00Hz (half step flat as concert G#/Ab is 415.30)
C - 465Hz should be 466.16Hz (almost spot on)

Very interesting results . . . I need to try your experiment . . . thanks for sharing!
m1tch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG wrote:
Based on a 440Hz Concert "A", here is how your numbers should compare on an equal-tempered scale:

C - 235Hz should be 233.08Hz (almost spot on)
D - 262Hz should be 261.63Hz (100% in tune)
E - 295Hz should be 293.66Hz (almost spot on)
F - 315Hz should be 311.13Hz (a little sharp)
G - 345Hz should be 349.23Hz (a little flat)
A - 390Hz should be 392.00Hz (almost spot on)
B - 415Hz should be 440.00Hz (half step flat as concert G#/Ab is 415.30)
C - 465Hz should be 466.16Hz (almost spot on)

Very interesting results . . . I need to try your experiment . . . thanks for sharing!

Thanks for that, mines a B Flat instrument but its a beginner/student instrument so I wasn't expecting perfect tone etc, also using the basic 7C mouthpiece.

Interesting how I am fairly close, was trying to find the right Hz for each note - I know that the tuners aren't set to recognise a B flat instrument so will show the concert A notes.

These notes were after I had gone though warm up and had played a couple of beginner tunes etc.

Will be interested to see how low I can go, think low F sharp is around 185hz I think.

I have only owned a trumpet for just over a week so I have much to learn! Can only really get up to a middle D currently, will take a while before I can go into the upper register - was more of an interest to see how close my current notes are to where they should be with the current setup out the box.

The good news is that it seems that I am slightly flat so I will look to pull the slide out slightly to sharpen it and see how that works, I know only tiny difference to the slide can make quite a difference.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You push IN if you are flat, and pull out if you are sharp.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:

The good news is that it seems that I am slightly flat so I will look to pull the slide out slightly to sharpen it and see how that works, I know only tiny difference to the slide can make quite a difference.

You should push the slide in to sharpen it not pull it out!

Note however that all your notes were pretty much in tune except for B which was a semitone flat. Perhaps you were actually playing a Bb (first valve) rather than B (second valve).

As another poster alluded to, this could be because you or your tuner are using the German system of note naming where B in German means Bb in English and H in German means B in English. This is horribly confusing but at least it allowed BACH to write his name as a musical joke in one of his pieces.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="m1tch"]
JWG wrote:

What???

Brad
m1tch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowest note I can play with all 3 valves in is at 120hz - its coming up as a B2 on the chromatic scale.

I think I might keep the tuning slide all the way in initially - sounds good to me at the moment, and yes as a beginner I guess I might have messed up the valve - good to see that its out by a semitone though!

Edit - yes it was a newbie mistake, middle B comes out at 439.96Hz - so fairly close to the 440Hz target I would say!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
Lowest note I can play with all 3 valves in is at 120hz - its coming up as a B2 on the chromatic scale.

---------------------
The lowest practical note is the F# (played 123) below the staff.
It's possible to 'sound' lower pitches by 'controlled lip flapping' but you're not likely to see them written in any piece of trumpet music. And they don't fit into the physical acoustics of trumpet size and shape.

When playing low notes (e.g. below the staff A - F#) the difficulty is making them sound good - not just loud fat blats - which can be fun, but is not very musical.
And similarly, many music pieces end with a loud note (sometimes a short 'stinger') - those should also be played to sound 'good' - not like someone stomping on a frog!

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: