• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The same thing every day?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: The same thing every day? Reply with quote

I know many of you are passionate about the Dave Belknap routine. I have been doing it every day for a few weeks now, but I am wondering if it would be more beneficial to switch to something else for awhile. How much better can I get from doing the same flexibility routine every day? Am I really improving, or is it just maintaining what I have?
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have A & B days. Some people may have more. This means I alternate or rotate routines so I get everything covered in a week but not necessarily everyday. This prevents burnout, and also helps ensure I can work on everything I need to without trying to cram it all into every single day. What I have in both sessions though is some long tones and flexibility but not necessarily the exact same exercises each session. I hope this helps.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
rbeasley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it's a good idea to have a few options to go to in order to avoid stagnation. It's good from a physical and mental standpoint. Different routines/exercises will work those skills in different ways, thus broadening your abilities. Plus, we all need a mental refresher from time to time.

I've found that if I play the same materials for too long they start to become less effective and start sounding worse. After changing things up my playing improves, and when I come back to that previous material I'm playing it better.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some trumpet players find a routine that works for them and stick with it throughout their careers. Others have a constantly-evolving routine. The key thing is to make sure that your routine accomplishes what you need, both physically and mentally.

If you feel like you are in Schlossberg overload, scale back. Steve Hendrickson, longtime principal trumpet of the National Symphony, had me pick one exercise from each of the eight sections in Schlossberg and then change them up whenever desired. That cuts your Schlossberg time in half. Then Clarke, Arban, etudes or music for performance....

If you want to move onto something different, there are many, many other daily routines to choose from: Clarke's "Setting Up Drills," a lesson from Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet," Sachs' "Daily Fundamentals," or routines from Caruso, Gordon, Reinhardt....

Edit: Ryan Beach, principal trumpet of the Alabama Symphony, has a Youtube video explaining how he builds his practice routine. It is a long video, but has some good insights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGzdo5N3dgI

Good luck!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: The same thing every day? Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I know many of you are passionate about the Dave Belknap routine. I have been doing it every day for a few weeks now, but I am wondering if it would be more beneficial to switch to something else for awhile. How much better can I get from doing the same flexibility routine every day? Am I really improving, or is it just maintaining what I have?

I often use my practice stuff in a "revolving" fashion; my three standards are 1)Laurie Frinks warm up routine, consisting of various exercices, takes me one day to do them all, if I want to 2)Belknaps routine.
3)The BE method which might make me somewhat odd (but very satisfied).
Every day I begin with a short breath exercice then the Caruso 7 positions; gives me some indication of the chops´ status.
Then onto BE variant of attacks, quavers, semiquavers, double tounge, triple tongue - all up to G top of staff, bpm70-80. Then the Roll outs and the roll ins; also flexbility etc.
But that´s me - if you do not use the BE I think that a rotational scheme might be useful (nr 1 and nr 2) as a basis.
For technical development I usually practice my brassband stuff (front row) - but then I am at the far end of my playing life (meaning I have the technical proficiency I have striven for; particularly tricky passages must be dealt with but I do not expect to become more competent) - you are in the beginning so you should keep developing your skills - for me it is more of keeping up my endurance, finger dexterity (like being able to play Poet and Peasant, Wilhelm Tell overtures), maintaining (or expanding a bit) the register.
So technical studies should be added.
I can´t underestimate the importance of adequate breathing support - this has become all the more evident as I have gotten older - so I think it is essential that you incorporate breath exercices, always prioritize breathing in any exercice, better stop in the middle of a run in order to fill your lungs than to rush through -maybe technically fine but with lack of support!
In my view a rotational scheme helps fostering flexibility, chop adapation to everchanging status (one day fine next day sour).
Also an expanding/widening progress; do not go to the next degree of difficulty til you master the current level - valid when it comes to register, runs etc etc - and incorporate the Japanese concept Kaizen (=neverending improvement) - you gotta challenge your self!
Amen
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the results I needed from that routine by doing it every day for years. Once you build up your strength you can get through it fairly quickly.

But I was using it to rebuild a destroyed embouchure (due to dental work). So your mileage may vary.

I think for a real embouchure routine you won't get results quickly. It's just not how it works. You have to really pick something and stick with it.

One final note. With skill acquisition, no one progresses in a linear fashion. You don't find yourself getting a little better every day. Rather, you'll be at the same level for a long time, then you'll suddenly "level up." So don't worry that you don't see progress. No one learns things a little at a time. It's nothing for a long time, then everything all at once.

Just my opinion! Good luck.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routines and exercises don't make us better. What makes us better is having and improving proficiency at performing the demands the routine places on the playing system.

The best ways to improve this proficiency and, to a certain extent, even what we might mean by the use of that term is the subject of pages and pages of implicit and explicit debate on these forums.

At the end of the day though, many of us struggle when we simply take a routine from a method book or at someone's suggestion without the guidance of a talented teacher because without that guidance we lack the perspective to effectively target our proficiency level, or even know where it is. These are problems we all face, and why I encourage people to "take lessons" their entire playing lives. However, these issues are often very apparent with young players.

All of that out of the way, I would personally not assign the Belknap Routine as presented on this site to a young musician, and I would certainly not recommend they just grab a Schlossberg book and go, particularly if it seemed like they had some playing issues like limited range, endurance etc.

There are so many good teachers available via online teaching these days, I hesitate to recommend a specific routine to anyone sight unseen, though I teach enough young musicians that I do have a pretty good base line approach that most of my students find some success using even with minimal guidence.

So, the thought I will leave you with is related to my first comment. If you
1. Cannot determine what specific skill a routine is designed to improve proficiency with,
2. Don't know how to measure your current proficiency at that skill or measure progress,
and,
3. If you don't know how to improve that proficiency (hint: playing a routine over and over is not the magic answer to this last one)

then that routine is not for you right now. At which point I would find a teacher who can answer and guide you through the routine (if you really want to learn something specific) or find or build a routine that you can do the above three things with, even if it is isn't fancy or famous.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also may have to try different things to find what works for you.

I tried Caruso (studying with a qualified teacher) and hated it. It just didn't work for me, even though so many other players had such great results with it.

So don't force something if it's making you worse.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice what you want to get better at, and let THAT mentality guide your practice sessions. That's my approach. I don't do a "routine" but there are some things I play every day because I'm always trying to play them more efficiently, and I feel they help me get to where I'm trying to go.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for any method to give you the desired result you have to play the method in a manner consistent with developing and achieving the desired result. That's the biggest problem with methods. If you don't play in a manner consistent with developing and achieving the desired result you cannot achieve the desired result (although you may improve in the direction of achieving that result).

So, understanding the hows and whys of what you have to do to achieve desired results is an important part of using any method. When you hit a wall you need to take a serious look at your fundamentals and your technique because you're only going to be as proficient as your fundamentals and technique allow. No method can overcome faulty fundamentals and bad technique.

As the saying goes: Practice doesn't make perfect. It's perfect practice that makes perfect.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: The same thing every day? Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

If you have an understanding of those physical laws that govern sound production on the trumpet and constantly apply them? You will improve daily. In fact with just a mere modicum of persistence you'll improve to a level of embouchure/wind technique inside of three years where you won't need to improve your technique anymore.

All that and you'll need just the barest minimal amount of practice to maintain your technique. We know this is so not only because at least a few experts in the field of embouchure have told us but because certain very capable pros need little practice at chop maintenance. The problem for most of us however is,

A. We don't know what the fundamentals of these physical laws are. And,
B. Not knowing what they are we can't possibly apply them.

This is why I tell my students that I only work on embouchure and air support. If they want to study sight reading, phrasing etc? I tell them that plenty of these teachers exist and that they may seek them out. My goal is simply to teach them how to prevent their body and habits from sabotaging their success. I want them to develop the complete range of the instrument.

Unless from among the lucky few most trumpet players will struggle with their chops. Also practically every kid is taught the lower register of the horn first and this is wrong. Granted that it's easier to teach the lower register and this is probably why most of them get taught this way. It takes more concentration and initiative for the student to develop a four octave range register. Plus most teachers aren't even aware that this can be taught.

So this is why I've long since stopped advocating the mere practice of exercises. Sure you may improve but you'll probably improve only within a finite register. So why bother? It's not for me anyway. If I was about to start playing the trumpet all over again from scratch? I would want to form my embouchure in the most productive way possible. And I'd want to learn how to play a four octave range ie from roughly Low F# to G/double C.

If my teacher couldn't show me how to do that? I wouldn't study with him. There's an old saying and very appropriate for brass playing,

"You can't give away something you don't have".

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to hear a true usable 4 octave range from low g thru dbl hi g, who can demo this - real usable notes only please.
Rod
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
I would love to hear a true usable 4 octave range from low g thru dbl hi g, who can demo this - real usable notes only please.
Rod

Gabriel? Even that might be a stretch.

The bigger shock is that someone actually thinks this is reasonable, that a teacher isn't fit to teach if the teacher doesn't have this and can't teach it.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Rod

Gabriel? Even that might be a stretch.

The bigger shock is that someone actually thinks this is reasonable, that a teacher isn't fit to teach if the teacher doesn't have this and can't teach it.
Yeah.. I can play G, but I sure couldn't when I was taking lessons. Not my teachers fault. My students except for 1 can't play G, I don't think that is my fault. You can make suggestions to people but playing up there is a personal journey that you have to discover. That should not be considered a benchmark for a teacher or a student to be able to hit high x y or z.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Rod

In his youtube and facebook videos Lynn Nicholson is all over four octaves. Consistently popping G/double C. Somewhere Pat Hessions plays a four octave scale to F or G over Double C. Ditto Mark Zauss whose tribute to Bill Chase he plays all four trumpet charts UP the octave. Including a fifth spot where he dubs in the vocal line. Yes sir! Mark is a gas!! (:

Of all the cats I've seen pull off high notes the one who could be doing it the easiest of all is Rashawn Ross. A big fellow, the horn kinda looks small in his hands lol. When he pops that triple C he's pulling it off with the least amount of physical effort that I've ever seen a trumpet play do such a high note. It's kinda like his triple C uses the same kinetic energy most of us display when we blow a high C. He's beyond amazing. There again though I'd speculate that his great register was something that came pretty easily for him. What I've noticed in those videos of Ross is that it almost appears like he's not really into high notes nearly so much as he is his jazz. And his jazz is world class. I don't think that even Wynton can touch him.

The thing is all these guys mentioned and many more on their level had chops, teeth and musculature that aligned very well with physical law. Dr William Moriarty explains this on the Roy Stevens Tribute page. He's the last video after you scroll down. Moriarty compares the multitude of average trumpet players with lousy range to a kid with a poorly assembled clarinet. Describing him something like this,

"The ligature isn't in the right place and it's too loose. Meanwhile his reed isn't aligned exactly right either and the mouthpiece is on backwards. This is analogous to the average trumpet player who is taught to develop his embouchure according to the way he first produces a tone on the instrument. If he does not have his teeth get out of the way of his upper lip? This plus correcting at least a few other severe faults? He is analogous to the described clarinet player with the various assembly faults".

As for what my own range is today versus what it was before my accident of 2018? Prior to losing my chops I had okay range. At least it was pretty accurate. Just a nice very solid high G but it always took more effort than I liked. This was because I wasn't playing efficiently. I hadn't made the complete conversion over to the Stevens-Costello embouchure system. The reason I didn't switch fully over sooner is a very long story that I'll spare you in the interest of time. So what is my range today even though I started completely over on a radically different embouchure only this past Thanksgiving??

I'm able to get a solid pitch up to double C daily now. It's not a big sound but it's growing daily. Granted these started out as little squeaks just last November. I can usually start somewhere around low C and ascend by arpeggios or scales up to double C without taking the mouthpiece off my lips. If I'm not starting from the lower register I can often get at least a piece of an E natural or F above double C. As I'm still a beginner for all practical purposes I'm not practicing a lot of tonguing exercises just yet.

This is the second time in my life of sixty five years that I've started to learn high notes. Although the first method way back when had some limitations it was still impressive in the eyes of most amateur trumpet players. After all despite using too much arm pressure I did play some good usable notes that most trumpet players never develop. And I did use these notes professionally for a while. To my mind one of the astonishing similarities about the way my high notes developed previously compared with how they're developing today on the new system is that I improve much faster if I just leave tonguing exercises out of most my practice session. I've been adding them into my mid range playing I still keep using breath attacks upstairs and all over. This is because a new embouchure faces lots of challenges while learning high notes. Tonguing tends to split apart a beginner's embouchure. Especially as one reaches for higher notes. I remember having great difficulty when tonguing high notes on my first go around playing high notes st age fifteen. I wasn't making much progress on either my tonguing or my range when I included both exercises in each session. Finally I just decided to stop tonguing any high note exercise at all. This worked great! Because by concentrating only on sound production I was able to quickly stabilize my high note chops. Ingot very accurate with a breath attack. Soon afterwards I merely added a light articulation to my high notes and in short order I became pretty accurate and could soon play my high notes with good definition. However I needed to separate the two tasks. Until I did this it did me no good to practice tonguing at all.

I think that part of the reason that Caruso exercises emphasize breath attacks if for this same reason.

I want to get my upper register a little louder first before displaying sound clips. As I've only been on this system for a few months.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: