• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scott Belk Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Scott Belk Books Reply with quote

Looking for a new flexibility book and I've heard great things about the Scott Belk books. Could someone give me a rundown of how each of his books differ (I believe he has several)? Im thinking about buying one, or possibly the Bai Lin. Ive only ever worked from Colin and Schlossberg.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have his first Lip Slurs Book and I have enjoyed playing through it. I too have Charles Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities and Schlossberg (which I have rarely played out of). It gives you some lip slurs that jump around with funny names. I believe the second book is similar.

https://trumpetshed.com/ - Scott's website.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have his first book and it is really great! I view the exercises kind of as "functional" lip slurs in that it isn't a whole system of a single valve combination and then you repeat 6 more times. Rather you slur from one partial to the next and then switch valves, slur a partial and then switch back. If you go to this website, he posts exercises on his blog that are very similar to what you will see in his books. I haven't got his new one yet, but it's on my list.

The Bai Lin book is also super solid and one of my favorites. It's very much in the tradition of Schlossberg and it gets advance pretty quick. Also, if you don't already have it, I would recommend the Irons book. Another classic lip flexibility book.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Belck's flexibility books are more mentally challenging than the other flexibility books I work from: Bai Lin, Colin, Irons, etc. Those books have simple patters that you can quickly figure out and apply.

Belck's books, on the other hand, have much more complex patterns that can take a while to figure out and get up to speed. I like that as it keeps me focused on what I am doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: