• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whistle-shaped embouchure?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Whistle-shaped embouchure? Reply with quote

O.K., I found it. Double High C, that is. I remember using the exercises, back in the day, but ignoring the text (after reading it). I did the same with Maggio later, using the exercises but picking & choosing from the text.

But on re-reading Spaulding's text last night, I noticed that he promoted a jaw-forward, whistle-shaped embouchure. And I know that Maggio also calls for a whistle-shaped embouchure. So, it really got me thinking about this embouchure's validity. So, my question.

Do you know of any serious players who used a whistle-shaped embouchure and what is your take on that embouchure, also. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embouchure descriptions can be so hard to map on to real players with some exceptions. Does someone use a whistle-shaped formation? There are people that have talked about something like this, Adam Rapa for example.

David Hickman talks about 'blowing out a candle'.

Greg Spence's 'Ahhh-ooo" thing is the same basic idea as far as I can tell.

There are a lot of players that probably play with an embouchure shape that is similar, but they wouldn't ever think about their lips in that fashion.

As with so many things, there are lots of roads to the same destination. Certainly the 'whistle' idea is really just a starting point.

Most players I would guess don't do anything quite so simple as play a 'whistle' embouchure or a 'curl' embouchure or ... whatever. They probably play with more of a particular thing but there is also a lot of fine tuning of any of the basic embouchure ideas.

If it works, and it sounds right, then go with it! But also don't become too fixated on it, either. At some point you'll have to let go of the idea and play the instrument how your ears dictate.

But if you're worried you're going down the wrong pathway or something, I wouldn't be concerned. The 'pucker' is a part of almost every player's embouchure. You may need to adjust things as you progress
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a pure 'whistle lips configuration' would be rare. But some might begin with whistle, and then while trying to maintain the whistle - ADD tension using the word 'pee' .

The lip position and tension for playing doesn't usually come from a single simple muscle activation. The position and tension result from multiple 'competing' muscle tension.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani, check out Chris Martin's embouchure.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest checking out Jess Smiley's "Balanced Embouchure" book.

While it wasn't a break-through for me personally, I appreciate the fact that his book has exercises that go from one extreme (lips rolled out, and then try to play high) to the other (lips rolled in, and then try to play low).

No mention of jaw position, which I heartily agree with (I injured my TM joint trying to play high notes at an artificially high horn angle necessitated by a crazy stage setup).

But the goal of Smiley's system is simply to find the particular balance point between rolled-out and rolled-in that works for a particular player.

I loaned my copy of the book to a friend who had bought into the rolled-out embouchure concept and, when he experienced fundamental chop failure in his 50s, was prepared to give up trumpet.

He's still playing and has played lead trumpet in big bands since for the first time in his life.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments, but I've been working out of Jeff (sic) Smiley's book for, probably, a decade. I'm not curious about alternate embouchures to Spaulding and Maggio's whistle-type embouchure. Just curious if anyone is using, or knows of someone, who has used it.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Berklee from 78-82 and there was a faculty member who had used Spaulding's book. I forget his name. He didn't teach trumpet but directed ensembles and taught a few other classes.
He told me that he lost range as a result of using this method. Apparently he had been a lead player and he ended up abandoning the Spaulding approach.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He forgot a fundamental technique in forming the pucker embouchure - sucking on a Li Hing Mui cracked seed first.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue May 05, 2020 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
He forgot a fundamental technique in forming the pucker embouchure - sucking on a Li Hi Mui cracked seed first.

Ha! Two week old poi would also do the trick. Stay safe, malama pono!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
He forgot a fundamental technique in forming the pucker embouchure - sucking on a Li Hi Mui cracked seed first. :wink:

--------------------------------
Confused ... is there a difference between what you call a 'pucker embouchure' and a 'whistle embouchure'?
What style is the Spaulding / Maggio embouchure - and to any of the 'written descriptions' or 'photos' provide enough details and specifics about how to produce and use it?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JayKosta"]
kehaulani wrote:
He forgot a fundamental technique in forming the pucker embouchure - sucking on a Li Hing Mui cracked seed first.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Li Hing Mui, but . .

Quote:
Confused ... is there a difference between what you call a 'pucker embouchure' and a 'whistle embouchure'?

I have to pucker to whistle, so I am using them synonymously.

Quote:
What style is the Spaulding / Maggio embouchure - and to any of the 'written descriptions' or 'photos' provide enough details and specifics about how to produce and use it?

I'm just asking if anyone knows of any serious players who used a whistle-shaped embouchure and what someone else's take on that embouchure is, if they have experience with it.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: