• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silver finish on Mpc wearing?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Silver finish on Mpc wearing?! Reply with quote

What do you do with a Mpc you love but the smooth silver finish is wearing where your lips hit it? You guys continue to play it? Anything I can do to make it better? Thx
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just replace it. If it's unique or hard to replace then I'd send it for replating. It's not a big deal to replate a mouthpiece.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very careful about replating. Others can chime in here that are more knowledgable than I about these things, but there are a few issues that come to mind right away:

- You only want the rim replated. Plating the inside of the mouthpiece could alter the throat or cup shape in a way that irreversably damages it.

- Do they have to buff the mouthpiece to plate it? If so, you'll have to change the shape of the rim, possibly ruining it.

Thomas Gansch plays an old Bach megatone mouthpiece that looks like it's been through several wars. So a roughed-up mouthpiece isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that buffing and plating can indeed alter a piece so it's definitely advisable to use a pro shop for the work. But if it's for minor plating wear it might not be such a big job. When Reeves married a rim to an underpart for me and had to machine a bit to eliminate a ridge the resulting piece needed just that thin line plated. He did it while a I waited.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, let's get a handle on the dimensions we're talking about here. Plating is less than 0.001" thick. How accurate are the dimensions of a mpc? Can they be reproduced to plus or minus 0.001"? Buffing a mpc need not remove as much as half a thousandth of an inch of material. Be aware of what ballpark you are playing in...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:

- You only want the rim replated. Plating the inside of the mouthpiece could alter the throat or cup shape in a way that irreversably damages it.

Less plate is deposited on inner surfaces, such as cups and backbores, than on the rim and outside.

- Do they have to buff the mouthpiece to plate it? If so, you'll have to change the shape of the rim, possibly ruining it.

You are right about the rim, what I do is just lightly polish it and send it for replating as is, if there any fear about rim changes.
Good luck!

https://yourbrass.com/
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If sending out for replating, I would get commitment first that they would only clean (and maybe buff) the minimum amount to have the plating process work. Emphasize that minor nicks or scratches should NOT be removed by buffing - you are not expecting a 'new mouthpiece' appearance, just your old mouthpiece 'warts & all' with good plating. An over zealous buffing can remove enough metal to make everything smooth, but that's not what you want.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: