• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha ytr 8340 advices.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalex

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Yamaha ytr 8340 advices. Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am new here. I need a tip because where I live it is not possible to try trumpets.
I am about to buy a new yamaha 8340em. I need information and your impressions. I have already seen that there is talk of a lead trumpeter horn, but I mostly play bop. I have a 3c bach mouthpiece, with a .038 hole, and I prefer L or ML bores and larger bells.
What do you think? sorry for my English. Thanks.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha ytr 8340 advices. Reply with quote

Kalex wrote:
... I am about to buy a new yamaha 8340em. I need information and your impressions. ...

-------------------------------------
The 8340em seems to be a special configuration and design, and it might play much differently than your current trumpet. What are you playing now?

Also the mouthpiece that comes with the 8340em is much different than your Bach 3C. I don't know if the 8340em is designed to be used with a mouthpiece similar to the EM1 or EM2.

I suspect the '0.038 hole' you mentioned in your 3C is a 'size 25' with diameter of 3.80 mm.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Kalex

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must therefore briefly tell my story;) I played with various student trumpets, then with a Stomvi, all ML, but I found them unsuitable, so I wanted to experiment with the L bore with a temporary study trumpet, finding myself very well. Now my doubt about EM is the fact that the trumpet is too light, with little feedback, or whatever .. in short I don't play in big band, for 90% it's bop and funk .. yes, my mouthpiece is a 3c with opening 3.80. Smaller than this doesn't work for me.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalex wrote:
... student trumpets, then with a Stomvi, all ML, but I found them unsuitable, so I wanted to experiment with the L bore with a temporary study trumpet, finding myself very well. ...

-----------------------
From the Yamaha description of the 8340em,

"Multi-bore
When the piston is not depressed, the trumpet has the same
bore structure as a Bb trumpet as M bore size. However when the
piston is depressed, the unique “multibore” structure reduces
the difference in back pressure by passing through the L bore
valve slide. "

so the 'feel' might be different than a typical ML or L bore trumpet.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8340 is one of my main horns. It's very well made, as you would expect from a Yamaha. I'm not a pro, but from my perspective, you can make pretty much any well made modern horn do what you want it to -- it's just a question of how much effort it takes. I play my 8340 primarily with a Bach 3B. Like you, smaller mouthpieces just don't work for me. The EM mouthpiece that comes with the horn is crazy-small. My chops immediately bottom out.

I get a really rich, warm sound with my 3B mouthpiece. The drawback is that it does take more effort to play. The horn was definitely designed to be a big lead horn. It wants a lot of air. It's extremely responsive and you can definitely play it light and quiet. It's also very nimble. But, as I said, it takes more effort and control from the player. I have to engage my abdominal muscles a fair amount when I play it. One of the attributes Eric designed for was feedback to the player. I think he achieved this very well -- I get a ton of feedback from this horn. I also love the way it feels in my hand when I'm playing due to the light weight, almost like it's alive with electricity. Another thing I really like about this horn is that it never feels stuffy. It can take all the "high" and "loud" you want to put into it. I doubt there's a better lead horn out there.

I'm more of a solo player than a lead player too. To be frank, I chose the horn before I really started delving into the technical aspects of trumpets, trying to determine what is best for what, what specs the horns have, etc. In some ways I'm glad I did because my choice was more pure. I played a bunch of horns at the shop I visited and the 8340 just felt and sounded the best to me. With the big mouthpiece I was using, it had an extremely full, somewhat dark sound. Don't get me wrong, when you put in a smaller piece or press on the gas, it lights up quick and can really sizzle.

Whether I knew it or not at the time, I think I've always been someone who likes to play with a fair amount of air and was frustrated by horns that have more resistance. Some people know how to use resistance to their advantage for more efficient playing. That's not my style. So if you like the feel of an open horn and don't mind the extra control it requires, I think you'll love the 8340. If you prefer to sit back a little more and let the horn do the work, it may not be your cup of tea.

Occasionally, I briefly contemplate putting mine up for sale to get something designed more specifically for small group work. But then I pick up the 8340 again and play and I just have too much fun.

Hope this helps.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
you really need to try it for it's a very particular model.
I was playing til last year an old 6310Z and had the opportunity to play the new 8310Z, the Bergeron model and the EM.
For me the one that fitted me was the 8310, Bergeron was ok for me, and EM didn't match.
You really don't know til you try
best
Kalex

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Meanwhile, thanks for the answers; actually I know its specifications, and as I said before, I have experimented with various bores, and the big bell .. what I want to be sure of is if this horn is suitable for my work, and that is a trumpet suitable for small groups, for clubs etc. and its sound is not too clear .. I noticed that only a bop player I know (Jeremy Pelt) has ever used this model, and I was wondering if any of you played EM to do hardbop, rather than in big band .. I know they seem pretentious and banal questions, but I am not for me, a musician with a badget not high enough to buy me a Monette or a Harrelson with a supersonic engine;)

Last edited by Kalex on Mon May 18, 2020 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kalex

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dkjcliff wrote:
..Some people know how to use resistance to their advantage for more efficient playing. That's not my style

fantastic review .. Yes, in fact I feel that my air needs space, even if lately I have filed this aspect .. I will need a lot what you wrote ..

Last edited by Kalex on Fri May 22, 2020 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are others on TH who play the 8340, but I'll respond again. Since you've said you're unable to play test the horn, I'll continue sharing my personal opinions on the 8340 to the extent they can help you.

You definitely won't get that distinctive Monette timbre from the 8340. I'm not very familiar with the Harrelson sound. In my experience, the mouthpiece I use drives the sound more dramatically than the trumpet itself. When I play the 8340 with my Bach 3B, I feel like I get a full, rich, warm tone. I think the large bell is one distinctive feature of this horn that helps accomplish this. I can also make it fuzzy and delicate. When I pop in my Schilke lead piece, the horn sounds completely different - big, bright, and brassy.

But you won't get that thickness from the 8340 that comes with a heavier horn. For lack of better descriptors, I would say the 8340 sounds more like a traditional trumpet where the heavier horns have a sound that is particular to a heavy horn, whatever you want to call that (dark, fuzzy, dead, etc.).

So whether the 8340 will give you what you want for bop really depends on the sound you want to achieve. There's a wide range of sounds within the general category of bop. In my opinion, the 8340 will play fast, high, and loud as well as any horn, but can also achieve a wide range of tones.

I'd like to think that I could classify myself as a bop player - I certainly aspire to be (among other styles), Clifford Brown being one of my idols. But I am definitely an amateur. A more skilled, sophisticated, and experienced player might have a different opinion on the 8340.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a young friend who studies with Brian Lynch, a Yamaha artist. Brian himself plays a 9335NY (as far as I know) and he's definitely a bop player. My friend, his student, on Brian's advise ended up with a 8335RL, standard weight, reverse leadpipe. You can get the large bore 8345RL as well. Eric Myashiro is a high note lead player and the horn is designed for him. BTW Yamaha Jazz artist Alex Sipiagen played a 8335LA.
Kalex

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well .. I listen to you all .. also taking into consideration the LA horns, I knew about Alex Sipiagin .. then I thought also the crazy idea (but not so much) to use a trim kit in case I used the Myiashiro ..
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelex, where do you live? Are you sure there re no mail-order vendors who have a liberal return policy that you can take advantage of? When I lived in Germany, I bought several horns from American vendors and returned them this way.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Kalex

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Kelex, where do you live? Are you sure there re no mail-order vendors who have a liberal return policy that you can take advantage of? When I lived in Germany, I bought several horns from American vendors and returned them this way.

I live in southern Europe, here both for yamaha strategies, but especially for Covid, now you can't try wind instruments. The only horns I feel are those of friends .. It is truly a problem. Furthermore, not all vendors sell the products in installments.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Covid-related problem, thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Kalex

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Yesterday I made up my mind, and I shot a message to Jeremy Pelt there, and his response was short but effective:
'"I LOVED the Miyashiro horn. It's a great, lightweight trumpet. It's not too bright at all and it plays beautifully."
Well, for now, I am inclined to buy the EM, perhaps I am attracted by the fast hit, the most comfortable rings for me and the more sonic variety compared to Los Angeles..
But I envy you! Do you want a trumpet? Try it and if you like it, buy it. I can't have this privilege .. Suffering ..

Last edited by Kalex on Fri May 22, 2020 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kalex,
i guess you're Italian visto che hai scritto una risposta in italiano:)
If this is right, i can help you with some friends trumpet players in Italy.
I really don't think it'd be a good idea to buy such a specific trumpet like the EM. I tried an exemplar that felt very unique to me (not so comfy).
You risk to be dispappointed by buying it blindely.

There's no hurry since no job will appear before couples of months, so better to wait for some opportunity to test it and then make your own judgement.
Forza !
All the best
Kalex

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Hello Kalex,
i guess you're Italian visto che hai scritto una risposta in italiano:)..

True, I had not realized, with the translator;) thanks, I corrected ..
But willingly, if they can give me more advice, I certainly accept .. What are your impressions instead? what don't you like about this trumpet? is it particularly tiring? or other?
I could find a custom Yamaha in Italy perhaps, but not here since I live in an island .. no repairman, only two Yamaha shops, few trumpeters, almost all Bach, or students .. and with the covid no shop apparently makes you try. My old trumpets are to be repaired, that's why I'm in a hurry .. and I found good deals from a shop here that is better not to be missed .. based on the reviews and what I saw, it could be the horn for me .. or I'll have to sell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: