• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece recommendations needed...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece recommendations needed... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been playing a bach 3c or equivalent mouthpiece for decades. However, recently I've been playing a Conn 80a cornet and I'm having a bunch of trouble with it. High register (above a top line F) is VERY cumbersome to play, very difficult to play accurately, and exhausting.
I've heard people who play this horn comment that they need to be played with their original mouthpieces. I'm not interested in trying to find and play an original mouthpiece for this thing, but I AM willing to consider trying a different mouthpiece if it makes sense.
So, to that end, anybody have any suggestions for what a good mouthpiece might be for this horn?

thanks,

keith

Last edited by khedger on Mon May 25, 2020 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith, do you know the vintage? It sounds from other posts like some need a mouthpiece with an older sized shank, in which case you'd want to try Curry's vintage line. How is intonation below the staff? If that's a problem you probably really need an entirely different type of mouthpiece. What other mouthpieces can you try? On my ambassador cornet I ended up going with a Bach 5b, which fit the shenk, but I have a King that would take the yamaha deep mouthpieces and really sounds nice. Good luck!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same horn and I use vintage Purviance 5☆3 , this piece 17.00mm diameter with deep C cup and #27 bore , it works great in this cornet becose has a tighter bbore in comparison with other mouthpieces and helps me manage and balance the huge bore of the horn.
This pieces are extremely rare but you can order one from Reeves shop.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough to say that the issue you're experiencing is that of the mouthpiece, the instrument, or your approach to playing cornet.
I'll suggest you go with something deeper (traditional cornet-like) and spend some time working at adjusting your approach to cornet - basically "back off" - "ease up".. do a lot of flexibilty exercises at a soft dynamic.

For specific mouthpieces to try, I'll suggest Curry's line-up of cornet pieces. 3DC is a great place to start.

Your bio line says you're in Cambridge.. find you way over to Osmun Music and demo some pieces, and while you're there, have them check out the horn.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier 80A cornets, pre 1957, were issued with the Precision line of mouthpieces which had a different taper and a shorter shank. Mark Curry can make one to fit your cornet.

The 80A Victor had the large 2 1/2 bore which was .484. That might be affecting your issues above the staff assuming the instrument is in proper working order.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently come into possession (permanent loan) of an 1954 80A Cornet. I echo what these other posters have said about the short shank. I use the Precision 4 that came with it, but I've ordered a 3TC with a Conn shank from Mark Curry, but still have a couple of weeks before that comes in.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80a does not need a different taper or different shank.
You can use the short which is 2.5 inches or the long which is 2.75 inches.
It depends on the cup depth. A 3c will work pretty good if it’s the standard long 2.75 Bach length. If the upper B is sharp, then a little big longer might help.

If you upper register is flag with the 3c cup and 2.75 length then something is wrong. Most likely a distorted bend in the main slide, too much pull of the opera glass slide, a leaky 1st valve, or red rot in the leadpipe. Other things can go wrong too of course, like a water key that almost seals perfectly.

It’s not hard to get a mouthpiece that works on the 80a. If you are using anything deeper than a 3c then use the short shank. Like a conn shortshank. Yamaha, wick, etc.

I did some more detailed posts regarding this in the past here on TH
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My earlier 80a sounds noticeably better with the stock mouthpiece. It loses a lot of it's character when I use any modern mouthpiece. Unfortunately the rim disagrees with me. From what I've read Curry is the say to go but his 3(.) rim feels too big for me.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

According to the Conn Loyalist, the taper is different for pre-1957 Conn cornets. I found that to be true for an 80A and a King Silver Sonic.

“ In the spring of 2007 I had Kanstul make me a shank that was a copy of a Conn 4 short shank cornet. Kanstul's Jim New said this about it: "The taper is in fact different, we measure 0.06" per inch where a standard taper is 0.05" per inch." In other words, Conn short shank cornet mouthpieces are indeed more tapered than long shank cornet mouthpieces.

Beware that while modern short shank mouthpieces might be the right length (2½"), they might not be the right taper. I have not had the chance to measure one, but a modern short shank cornet mouthpiece, while better than a long shank cornet mouthpiece, might still not properly fit a pre-1958 Conn cornet.”

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle34.html
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Hi Keith, do you know the vintage? It sounds from other posts like some need a mouthpiece with an older sized shank, in which case you'd want to try Curry's vintage line. How is intonation below the staff? If that's a problem you probably really need an entirely different type of mouthpiece. What other mouthpieces can you try? On my ambassador cornet I ended up going with a Bach 5b, which fit the shenk, but I have a King that would take the yamaha deep mouthpieces and really sounds nice. Good luck!

Modern shank is not a problem, I'm currently using a Trent Austin mouthpiece. Horn is reasonably in tune below the staff. As usual, c# can be a bit wonky, but no worse than any other horns I've played. It's vintage 1946.

keith
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
It depends on the cup depth. A 3c will work pretty good if it’s the standard long 2.75 Bach length. If the upper B is sharp, then a little big longer might help.

If you upper register is flag with the 3c cup and 2.75 length then something is wrong. Most likely a distorted bend in the main slide, too much pull of the opera glass slide, a leaky 1st valve, or red rot in the leadpipe. Other things can go wrong too of course, like a water key that almost seals perfectly.

It’s not hard to get a mouthpiece that works on the 80a. If you are using anything deeper than a 3c then use the short shank. Like a conn shortshank. Yamaha, wick, etc.

+1
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Ive not found that any of the Conn .484” bore cornets have a difficult upper register. In fact I think they have an easier upper register than many other cornets I’ve owned/played. As for shank size, the older ones (from about 1959 and earlier) do use a slightly different taper, and seem to play better with the original mouthpiece, if you can get along ok with a Conn 4. Modern short shank cornet mouthpieces seem to fit and work ok, possibly because of the shorter engagement area. Modern long shank mouthpieces tend to not seat correctly and wobble a little. The post-1959 ones use standard shank mouthpieces so most any modern cornet mouthpiece fits fine.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the conn short shank mouthpiece uses a .050 per inch rate of taper. same as a trumpet mouthpiece, and same as "modern" cornet mouthpieces like bach and all other common ones. The cornets that came with short mouthpieces do not have a different taper.

you can find examples of mouthpieces with slightly incorrect dimensions, and you can easily find receivers with slighly incorrect dimensions.

The olds company did have a totally different shank size, and they switched to "modern" (which is actually not very modern) in the 50's. for those instruments it's best to replace the receivers, so any common .050 per inch mouthpiece can be used. But that is olds, not conn
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of useful quotes:
"In the spring of 2007 I had Kanstul make me a shank that was a copy of a Conn 4 short shank cornet. Kanstul's Jim New said this about it: "The taper is in fact different, we measure 0.06" per inch where a standard taper is 0.05" per inch." In other words, Conn short shank cornet mouthpieces are indeed more tapered than long shank cornet mouthpieces.

Beware that while modern short shank mouthpieces might be the right length (2½"), they might not be the right taper. I have not had the chance to measure one, but a modern short shank cornet mouthpiece, while better than a long shank cornet mouthpiece, might still not properly fit a pre-1958 Conn"

"From this we can reach a few tentative conclusions:
1. If your long shank cornet mouthpiece fits perfectly in your short shank cornet, it has probably been reamed out.
2. Do try a short shank mouthpiece on your pre-1958 Conn cornet; chances are good it will play better.corner."
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Mark Curry the taper is .006.

Special Cornet Shanks

"C" Conn short cornet blank now available! Pre-1958 (serial numbers less than 700,00) Conn cornet afficianados can now order their favorite Curry cornet cup in the correct size for these popular cornets. At 2.5" long with the correct 60 thousandths/inch taper (and correct shank diameter) these vintage cornets speak easier with better intonation! Thanks to Rick Henrickson of NYC and Alan Hancock (UK) for their insightful help and research. For more, check out this informative link http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnArticle34.html.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy enough to measure. I have seen .050 and .045, but not .060. I’ve had 8 old conn cornets that I played extensively and they all took .050.

The one in my hand is .050.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

Some facts:
modern long shank cornet mouthpiece is 2.75 inch
modern short shank is about 2.25 inch (Wick), Yamaha 2.15 inch, Curry a bit longer;
Conn Short Shank (=CSS) is 2.50 inch (so not THAT short).

Modern taper is 50 thousands/inch
CSS is 60 thousands/inch
For the theory and the possible problems see The Conn Loyalist:

A lot of old Conn cornets have been abused by jamming in a modern tapered mouthpiece up to the point they are permanently reamed.
If not, a modern long shank mp will not really fit, it will wobble.
A modern short shank mp will almost fit, it is quite good playable.

The old Conn cornets with the 'wrong' receiver will not play very good with a modern long shank mouthpiece, (intonation, response, sound).
I had quite good results with modern ss mouthpieces from Denis Wick and Yamaha.

I own(ed) a 1942 80A and a 1948 36A both with pristine CSS receivers.
I have a Jim New made a CSS 4 copy backbore with Warburton thread, also a Curry BBC CSS and a by Schenkelaars professiolally modified to CSS Canadian Brass trumpetmouthpiece.

I played several other vintage Conn cornets, most 80A's made from the twenties to the sixties. I used all kind of mouthpieces from Bach, Yamaha, Curry, DW and more.

Mouthpiece choice is IMO NOT very easy for these old horns, they tend to be very to extremely mouthpiece sensitive for sound, intonation and playability.

The playability of the 80A is also influenced by the use of the two tuning possibilities. I got the best result with the microtuner a little bit out doing the rest of the tuning with the regular tuning slide. But I am not 100% sure about that, one day may differ from another.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people believe what they read, others believe what they have heard, other people believe what they measure.

Im not saying there are no conn short shank pieces with .060 per inch taper.
I'm simply saying that the ones I've measured have been .050 per inch. That is 8 out of 8 short shank pieces being .050.

I have also measured two long shank conn 4 and those were both. .045 per inch, and they both worked ok and would seat in the receivers of all the cornets and receiver parts i tried them in.

all of those short shank conns were from about 1938. For a while i was on a mission to get conns. 8a slender, (two of them) 36a concert grand (two of them) 80a (three of them) and something else...maybe a director, and those all came with conn 4 shorts. I had a couple directors that also came with conn 4 long shanks.

I've also worked on other peoples conn's and made shanks for various instrument, dozens and dozens, and .050 fits in everything except the early OLDS.

Just because the taper fits, does not mean its going to work well of course.
The shank end diameter is important. COrnet pieces can be .338 on the small side, to .345 on the big side. That is a lot of variation. I make cornet shanks .342 and that seems to be a good working insertion depth solution.

As for the idea that there are receivers out there that have been "reamed" into not wobbling with a .050 shank...thats bogus. Those conn receivers are made of tubing, not machined from stock. That means they are work hardened, and springy, and they are wrapped by another piece of tubing. Have you ever tried to get one that is slightly oval shaped to be round again? really hard to do because it springs back. even if you ream it with a tapered reamer it springs back and it's really hard to get right. By the way, it happens a LOT that the receiver gets out of round, and every example of wobble ive seen, which isn't many was due to an out-of-round receiver.

i just bought a couple more on ebay to measure. will update when they come in
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a ‘54 Conn 80A. It came with the original Conn 4 short shank mouthpiece, which fit just as a mouthpiece should. Because I don’t like Conn 4 mouthpieces, I tried numerous standard length modern cornet mouthpieces in it, including Bach, Schilke, Curry, and Conn, including a Connstellation. They all had a slight wobble when seated. I also tried a few modern short shank pieces, including Conn, Wick, and Stork. They all seemed to seat ok, which I attributed to the shorter engagement area.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had good luck with "m" style cups and Warburton #4 to #5 backbores. This was with an 80 that had the leadpipe ledge mushed down so that it was effectively a "no gap" situation. That combination also worked for late 40's and early 50's 80's with a "gap". I don't remember needing to modify the backbores.

This combination blended pretty well with trumpets.

If the horn has a good valve alignment, it should have a very good high register when played with "trumpet" style mouthpieces.

I preferred using the Vic as an extremely large bore trumpet rather than as a cornet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: