• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning Slide Measuring Device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianpatrickroe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Tuning Slide Measuring Device Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Struggling on google to find answers to thing because I'm probably not using the right terminology.

Basically, I play a lot of trumpet to electronic music. I use my eye to find the correct tuning of the main slide, but since when I play a DJ set with my trumpet, I won't have time to re-listen, play, find the tuning (as my audience will hear me doing so), I wondered if there is any device out there which adjusts so you can create a sort of template for your tuning slide. Could just be an adjustable little ruler thing where I can the set markers so I know which track (i.e. track 1 corresponds to marker 1 at a 1cm opening on the slider) has the correct key?

I can just use paper or even just small bits of tape, and that's fine too, but at present I don't even know if there are any make shift inventions on this, so if anyone has any advice on what they to do remember the tuning slide for different songs they play to, it would be appreciate to share your experience.

Thanks

Ian
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning Slide Measuring Device Reply with quote

ianpatrickroe wrote:
Hey guys,

Struggling on google to find answers to thing because I'm probably not using the right terminology.

Basically, I play a lot of trumpet to electronic music. I use my eye to find the correct tuning of the main slide, but since when I play a DJ set with my trumpet, I won't have time to re-listen, play, find the tuning (as my audience will hear me doing so), I wondered if there is any device out there which adjusts so you can create a sort of template for your tuning slide. Could just be an adjustable little ruler thing where I can the set markers so I know which track (i.e. track 1 corresponds to marker 1 at a 1cm opening on the slider) has the correct key?

I can just use paper or even just small bits of tape, and that's fine too, but at present I don't even know if there are any make shift inventions on this, so if anyone has any advice on what they to do remember the tuning slide for different songs they play to, it would be appreciate to share your experience.

Thanks

Ian

I found the idea of having presets for your tuning slide intriguing, and had a few thoughts like labeled bits of plastic half-tubing cut to use as a guide and numbered by planned track. The problem is, the ambient temperature, and the temperature of your horn if you dont blow through it continuously, is gong to change and alter what the physical distance required to match the pitch center of the track is.

Use your ear instead of your eye, and look for a horn with looser centering/slotting. Single-radius tuning slides help with that flexibility, as do certain leadpipes depending on the model of the horn. Lip in the first notes and adjust by ear on the fly - that's what we all have to do.

(For anyone who has wondered why someone would want a loose slotting horn, this is why)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
ianpatrickroe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning Slide Measuring Device Reply with quote

[quote="OldSchoolEuph"]
ianpatrickroe wrote:

The problem is, the ambient temperature, and the temperature of your horn if you dont blow through it continuously, is gong to change and alter what the physical distance required to match the pitch center of the track is.

Oh my god!!! Pure eye opener, which I wouldn't have know if I didn't ask this. I've been playing trumpet for years in my youth and just got back into it as an adult, and that is something i TOTALLY didn't know. SO I guess the tubing (amazing idea btw) wouldn't be so accurate, but surely it would only be off by a small bit right? In which case I have time to tune whilst playing for sure, minor adjustment and it won't matter if the initial sequence of notes I play are a little flat /sharp...I just would need to be ball park close to save me starting from scratch you know?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're playing indoor sets where there aren't big temperature differences, then I doubt that would make much difference. But changes in temperature does affect tuning.

And the tuning can change after you've played for several minutes. Doing a bit of dressing room, or back alley warm-up would help.

Yes, you could make a little paper ruler and tape it on. Just make notation in your playlist of what the slide position should be for each piece.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
ianpatrickroe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
If you're playing indoor sets where there aren't big temperature differences, then I doubt that would make much difference. But changes in temperature does affect tuning.

And the tuning can change after you've played for several minutes. Doing a bit of dressing room, or back alley warm-up would help.

Yes, you could make a little paper ruler and tape it on. Just make notation in your playlist of what the slide position should be for each piece.

Jay

Thanks very insightful. Yeah I suppose a warm up in a warm club anyway would probably stay a regular temperature throughout the night Great, thanks again. EVeryone on here are so helpful and so quick with reponse.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play with any accompaniment I automatically adjust my playing to meet the tuning requirements. I try to be sensitive to whether or not I'm working too hard to lip the note up or down. If I am then I nudge the tuning slide slightly and keep going. There really is no technology that can do this for you.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I you knew how a particular track measured against the standard of A=440.. then you could make adjustments accordingly. Not a preset distance but a direction and a sense of how far.

Say you tune to A=440 and you know the next track is sharp by "x" cents... then you'd know you needed to pull your slide in "x" distance-approximately. Then say the next track is about A=440 you would pull the slide back to where you're comfortable at that pitch center.

As pointed out, there are many variables. You will still need to use your ears.

Use your ears to play intune, use the slide(s) to make it easier to do so.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my horn was tuned at the factory to avoid these types of situations
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
my horn was tuned at the factory to avoid these types of situations

Huh. I think I have played with a few people who have the same make and model.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to organise your electronic music so it is all at A=440 (or 442) and then all you need to do is tune once and then adjust slightly as needed.

Ears are the secret weapon. Use them and you’ll be fine.

Cheers

Andy
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning Slide Measuring Device Reply with quote

ianpatrickroe wrote:

Basically, I play a lot of trumpet to electronic music. I use my eye to find the correct tuning of the main slide

You need to use your ears not your eyes - sorry, there's no getting around that. You're going to have to be prepared to change slightly for all the reasons people have already mentioned.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some marching band players do this all the time based on temperature.
Make a series of marks with a knife of fingernail file at 1mm or say 1/16 inch intervals about 8 marks with your normal range being in the middle.

If you have tracks that are at different tunings, then they will always be that way, take note of how much you have to change, and you can pull in or out a certain number of marks from where ever you have to be overall based on temperature.

for reference....
for temperature if your marks are 1/16 inch:
72-75 degrees is your normal spot
68 degrees in a half mark
65 degrees in one mark
62 degrees in 1.5 marks
60 in two marks
55 in three marks
50 in four marks
less than 50 your pitch will fluctuate wildly as your play and rest. push all the way in probably

you can deal with heat a little easier
75-79 out one mark
79-85 out two
85 and up out three
above that it seems to not make any difference really.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: