• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing trumpet hurts the lips! Please help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based solely on what's been posted I suspect that Darryl may be right.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Lionel, you might be interested to know that Legends Mouthpieces makes an Al Cass replica. I have one and it's good mpc. Additionally, I have an original Cass and the Legends compares favorably to it.

https://legendsbrass.com/product-tag/al-cass/

Gracias. That's good to know. I own most every Al Cass piece. Most are worth more than my trumpets.

The stock pieces are generally good for school kids and lotsa pros used to play the 3x screamer line. What would be helpful would be for more of these pieces to come in much more open throats and back-bores. Naturally I hate to alter an antique.

I only use my own mouthpieces today. Pieces I've altered so much that they no longer even remotely resemble their original state. But the "perfect radius" rim contour is on my mouthpiece. This I copied off Al Cass. His was a simple genius. While the rim contour shifts to several planes on Bach & most/all other pieces?

The Cass piece (and my own design) will actually mate up with a standard size radius gauge. Obviously Al did this intentionally as utterly all his pieces, from tuba to horn had a perfect radius contour on every rim.

Uhh about Stevens. Don't knock it til you tried it. I'm waiting a bit to put video clips up. Yet in only six months on the thing I recently did a phone recording of a warm up. The clip ascended from concert B flat tuning note up the E flat arpeggio. Virtually "sitting" on double C before near hammering the F above. Or the last concert pitch E flat on the right end of a 88 key piano. Few beginners who've only played six months can do such things. And I include myself as a beginner to Stevens in as much as when I shifted over to the Stevens last November it was using an embouchure set up completely foreign to my former way of playing.

During his life Roy Stevens endured a great deal of criticism. While no statistics are available as to how many cats he straightened out, I'm certain that his ratio was high. And there were things incorrect about Stevens system. Errors of omission really. Two that I've found. However the basic principles of physical law he wrote about are as sound as all of Newtonian physics. If the physics are correct? Then the student simply MUST improve. However no other system even defines these laws.

Now what does that say about them? I mean to me it's like going to a medical doctor who never studied biology or even finished college.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing trumpet hurts the lips! Please help! Reply with quote

ProgramCrazy wrote:
Hi! I'll try to keep this short and simple. For the past few months or so, it's been hurting my lips a lot to play the trumpet. I'll start to get deep red marks and lines within what seems like a minute of playing. I try to use very little pressure, but it doesn't seem to help.

I now have a white circle on my lips now, and I haven't played for a while but It's still there. I really really want to continue to play trumpet as I am going to college next year and I want to audition for marching band, but it just hurts so much to play!

I'll leave pictures below in a google drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CeGx40CkL9MjPbBQ_JUF2bhmL03DmE9f?usp=sharing

Thanks!

One more thing to consider...are you doing any kind of warm up? Not everybody does, but I know that if I don't warm up before playing for real, I last about 10 minutes and I'm toast. Period.

keith
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Playing trumpet hurts the lips! Please help! Reply with quote

ProgramCrazy wrote:
Hi! I'll try to keep this short and simple. For the past few months or so, it's been hurting my lips a lot to play the trumpet. I'll start to get deep red marks and lines within what seems like a minute of playing. I try to use very little pressure, but it doesn't seem to help.

I now have a white circle on my lips now, and I haven't played for a while but It's still there. I really really want to continue to play trumpet as I am going to college next year and I want to audition for marching band, but it just hurts so much to play!

I'll leave pictures below in a google drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CeGx40CkL9MjPbBQ_JUF2bhmL03DmE9f?usp=sharing

Thanks!

To me it looks like you are playing mostly in the red (upper lip).
Maybe this is at least part of the reason for the problem.
Some well known trumpet teachers have advocated forming the lips as in pronouncing the letter 'M'.

Armando Ghitalla (credit O.J.):
"Without the trumpet or mouthpiece, have the beginner roll the lips inward as if saying the letter "M." Take care that no red part of the lip shows and there is no rolled lip between the teeth. The teeth are virtually closed..."

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14384&sid=4bfaed185fa79a6d51396054b2c4b259

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: