• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sticking Second Value

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pallady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Sticking Second Value Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place, but I've recently noticed a new problem on my instrument that has never happened before.

With the second value, once it goes halfway down, it refuses to go back up unless I pull it up myself. The thing is, I don't know why it keeps doing this.

Valve Oil doesn't seem to work.
Cleaning my instrument doesn't seem to work.

The spring within the valve works smoothly.
The chamber for the valve is clean and hollow.

Any ideas of the possible cause before I visit my music store?
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some ideas already posted, see thread tilted “Any Thoughts?” Under Fundamentals. Link below.
Ron

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154071&highlight=
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd almost guarantee that you bumped the middle valve slide at some point - it doesn't take much. To see if that's what's causing the problem, just pull up on it (gently!) while working the second valve. If it cures the problem, take your horn to a repairman. If it doesn't, take it to a repairman! I got a little lost reading all the stuff about 600 grit in the linked post above, btw.

Pat
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son had the same problem with his horn. A shop confirmed that the 2nd slide had been bumped enough to distort the cylinder. Wasn't an expensive repair.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the top 5 things that happen to trumpets in the hands of young students. Your valve casing is deformed. Likely because the second valve slide got whacked (maybe imperceptibly).

Take it to a local shop that does repairs. They do lots of these every year.

Do not ever use abrasives to try to fix this yourself.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others mentioned, sounds like a second valve slide was bumped. But trying to correct whatever the problem is yourself is probably going to at best frustrate you, or even make the situation worse. Take it to a tech, a horn with a valve that will not rebound is basically unplayable.

Brad
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not set your trumpet down on the side where the 2nd valve is. That is a common cause of 2nd valve problems.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the second valve is a special case due to the short unbraced tubing, but it is worth mentioning other causes of this problem. I just bought a 1951 King Silver-Sonic with this problem on the third valve. It was pretty easy to diagnose and fix. I found the third valve had been dropped on a hard floor in a way that dented the bottom. Sometimes a dent like this doesn't ruin the horn and other times it causes the problem described here. Another problem I found was a casing ding. I fixed both these dents enough to eliminate the problem. Here are before and after pictures of the valve. I didn't remove the smaller dent because it isn't hurting anything:

The casing dent looked like this. Fortunately I had the needed mandrel to push it out:

etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done and clear with overlaid graphics!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something to ponder - do slide bump induced 2nd valve damage problems affect Bb trumpets more often than C trumpets. (C 2nd slides are straight 90 degree from the valve rather than slanted.)

I wonder if the dents in my C's 2nd slide tubing have protected the valve. I had been considering having a reinforcement rib soldered on to protect the tubing. Perhaps that would save the tubing but transfer the impact to the valve.

(Why do you dent your slide, you ask. Arthritis.)
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was once upon a time an invention where the valve slide was not external to the casing, but instead internal to the piston, going up as in a spiral staircase. The horn looked very unusual with no external slides attached yet depressing each valve resulted in desired lengthening of the air column.
Funknfritter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: second valve stuck Reply with quote

Years ago i used to store my music folder in my case on top of my trumpet, i think that may have caused my second valve to be slightly sticky. I never made the connection before, but it's kind of smacking me in the face right now.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: second valve stuck Reply with quote

Funknfritter wrote:
Years ago i used to store my music folder in my case on top of my trumpet, i think that may have caused my second valve to be slightly sticky. I never made the connection before, but it's kind of smacking me in the face right now.

Something I explained to my band students on a pretty regular basis. Sometimes it had an effect, sometimes not.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: