• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To thread or not to thread Bach 7C to Warburton BB's (among

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the scenario, I happened to pick up my junky old large letter Bach 7C with a busted up shank that's been collecting dust for years now, swore I would never touch it again, and found that despite the sharp rim that's actually the best sounding mouthpiece in my collection, at least for me. Seeing as that the shank's pretty much busted at the end despite my attempts to round it out, I figure since the top is in fairly decent condition I can get it threaded for Warburton backbores at a cheaper price than buying a Kanstul top for it. I think Wayne Tanabe can do the operation for $25, but I'm wondering if there's any backbores you guys could highlight. I'm thinking of trying a 7 or 8 backbore for legit and a KT backbore for when I play in a big band or pep band. I guess my next stupid question is could I expect the KT backbore to give me a brighter sound than a more standard backbore that could cut through playing lead trumpet in a big band setting or maybe a pep band, despite the size of the 7C top? I already have fairly decent chops on the 7C for what I do, so that's not much of an issue. Anyways, all your comments are appreciated on this used and abused topic. Merry Christmas to all!!!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike,

I have been playing Warburtons for the last 3 years. The good thing about them is that you have the flexibility to change the kind of sound you get with different mouthpiece and backbore combinations. A KT backbore will sound brighter and project more. For legit you may want to try a 7* or 8*. Those backbores are like the stock Bach backbores. I play a 4M and 8 backbore. Sometimes I use the KT if I want a brighter sound. You will have to experiment and find the sound you like and works in the appropriate situtation.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to try a 5M top. The M tops are my favorite of all the different choices for tops.

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2003-12-30 08:02 ]
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping the same top and trumpet and trying to switch backbores for a different sound does not work well for me except moving from a straight number BB to a * (7 vs. 7* etc.) With a shallow cup I would use a tighter backbore - deeper cup a larger backbore. For me there are usually only one or two closely related backbores that work with a particular trumpet and top. So if your one piece 7C mpc gives you a good sound and intonation - when try the top with Warburton backbores you will probably end up with one that is similar to the stock Bach 10. If you find the 7C mpc stuffy and flat in the upper register, you will probably select a Warburton BB that is a little larger. Just a thought - watch the MarketPlace for a Warburton 4D or 5D top - they are often offered for less than $30 and the rims are more comfortable than the 7C. If you then want a very differen sound, you could use a 4M or 5M with a tighter backbore for a zingier sound.

[ This Message was edited by: Andy Cooper on 2003-12-30 20:40 ]
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the weird part, I actually find the razor sharp 7C rim more comfortable than Warburton rims or most other rims, including Bach rims. I guess that's just me, but the main reason I'm thinking about having it done is I like the rim and the cup, but the shank is all but busted from years of abuse from me as a student, even with attempts to return it to its normal shape with one of those tools specifically designed for rounding out stems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: