• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Aerosol generation in aerophones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Aerosol generation in aerophones Reply with quote

Aerosol generation by Vuvuzela: Lai, Bottomley & McNerney 2011
"The mean peak particle counts (of generated aerosol) were 658,000 per litre for the vuvuzela and 3,700 per litre for shouting"

Wind Musicians’ Risk Assessment: Schwalje & Hoffmann 2020
"Those players who are less experienced are more likely to have leakage of air around the embouchure, more likely to have stress velopharyngeal incompetence or nasal emissions, and are likely to work harder to produce sound – all of which may create more risk of aerosol production"
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont consider vuvuzela to be representative of trumpet playing.

All air in the lungs is powerfully expended in seconds with vuvuzela whereas in trumpet gentle breathing is usual.

This for me is an apples and pears comparison

Trumpet is very high efficiency vuvuzela is very low efficiency.

On the other hand young trumpet players play trumpet like vuvuzela so this research may be of value there.

Vuvuzela is in effect a bugle I do not recall any vuvuzela sounding at all musical just exceptionally loud and brash.

I would welcome this research being applied to a trumpet or similar instrument. I dont see that it is relevant in it present form somewhat similar to research and conclusions about motorbikes being applied to bicycles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: