• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

bach 3E mouthpiece



 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
major562
New Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: bach 3E mouthpiece Reply with quote

any thoughts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hibidogrulez
Regular Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2020
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the chance to try it before you buy it? If so, I'd recommend doing that and disregard anything else I wrote about it.


If not, than maybe you'll find this helpful...I recently tried a wide rim version and I liked how it played. Smooth and easy, with a nice round tone. However, it didn't 'do' anything special for me either so I had no reason to buy it. I couldn't really play much higher n it compare to my deeper mouthpieces either. The shallow mouthpiece I already own (Best Brass 7E) has a sharp edge and produces a very dixieland/bluesey sound. Since I'd mostly need it for jazz/bigband stuff, I prefered to use that instead.
_________________
"Everything I write is purely based on my own personal experiences, as those are the only ones I've got."
Tpts: Olds Recording 1970, Getzen 700 Special
Mpcs: BestBrass 7e, Stomvi Valencia 1c, Vincent Bach 1/4c
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zaferis
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 03 Nov 2011
Posts: 1832
Location: Beavercreek, OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan. It's a very shallow piece in combination with a rim shape and size that doesn't support its shape. Any sound I can get out of one are brittle. 7E is a better balanced piece.
_________________
Freelance Performer/Educator
Adjunct Professor
Bach Trumpet Endorsing Artist
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wilder
Regular Member


Joined: 27 Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: BACH 3E Reply with quote

Not a good piece for anything. supposed to be for the high horns but the 3 diameter with that backbore is too big. 7E or 10 1/2E are very good for the high horns. as for with a full sized Bflat for commercial playing the Bach Ecups don't work because the backbore is not designed for that. jw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Heim
Veteran Member


Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 152

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought is that a 3E is better than a 3F
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Pete
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2001
Posts: 1703
Location: Western Massachusetts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot better brands of mouthpieces out there. They may cost a bit more but they are going to be worth it in the long run. Stork, Warburton, Reeves, Patrick and Pickett for example. Call them and tell them what you are trying to achieve with a mouthpiece.

Pete
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaw04
Veteran Member


Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 225
Location: Oakland, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Bach 3E and don't like it, either. It didn't really give me any benefits or ease of playing, and it was difficult to get away from a nasally sound. I like Bach 3C and I also like shallow mouthpieces, but that ain't the one.
_________________
Edwards X-13
8310Z Flugelhorn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 12 Nov 2001
Posts: 1287
Location: Eugene, Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Bach 3E mp Reply with quote

Hello all.
I get the idea about getting a shallower piece for range or endurance. The 3C is a good size for some, depending on facial structure. I know that some out there have a better theory on alpha angles and other characteristics of different mp's. For the most part, brittleness comes with lessened cup depth. Some folks can have a great sound sound with small pieces. so I think that it takes much experimentation to get what you want in terms of sound, timber and range. I have 4 Schilkes and a combination of 135 combinations with my Warburton parts to find what I think I need. Maybe in my lifetime...
_________________
Christian K. Peters
Oregon Brass Society
Schilke Loyalist
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 615

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: BACH 3E Reply with quote

wilder wrote:
Not a good piece for anything. supposed to be for the high horns but the 3 diameter with that backbore is too big. 7E or 10 1/2E are very good for the high horns. as for with a full sized Bflat for commercial playing the Bach Ecups don't work because the backbore is not designed for that. jw


Gee, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that a Bach 7 rim is the universal maximum diameter for high horns. So those of us playing D, Eb, F, G, and piccolo trumpets with our rims that are fitted to various cups and backbores don't know what we are doing since many of us use rims that are wider in diameter than the Bach 7, not to mention wider than a 3 rim. I'm sure glad that we all have been set straight by being informed that Bach has a series of mouthpieces with E cups that are "Not a good piece for anything". What were they thinking producing E cup mouthpieces in rim diameters larger that a 7?

By the way, what is your unbiased opinion on Bach D cups wider than a 7?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaw04
Veteran Member


Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 225
Location: Oakland, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: BACH 3E Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
wilder wrote:
Not a good piece for anything. supposed to be for the high horns but the 3 diameter with that backbore is too big. 7E or 10 1/2E are very good for the high horns. as for with a full sized Bflat for commercial playing the Bach Ecups don't work because the backbore is not designed for that. jw


Gee, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that a Bach 7 rim is the universal maximum diameter for high horns. So those of us playing D, Eb, F, G, and piccolo trumpets with our rims that are fitted to various cups and backbores don't know what we are doing since many of us use rims that are wider in diameter than the Bach 7, not to mention wider than a 3 rim. I'm sure glad that we all have been set straight by being informed that Bach has a series of mouthpieces with E cups that are "Not a good piece for anything". What were they thinking producing E cup mouthpieces in rim diameters larger that a 7?

By the way, what is your unbiased opinion on Bach D cups wider than a 7?
Relax, he was giving his opinion on that mouthpiece. It's okay to have different opinions and use different equipment! I happen to agree that the backbore is not good with that rim (for me).
_________________
Edwards X-13
8310Z Flugelhorn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 615

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: BACH 3E Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
wilder wrote:
Not a good piece for anything. supposed to be for the high horns but the 3 diameter with that backbore is too big. 7E or 10 1/2E are very good for the high horns. as for with a full sized Bflat for commercial playing the Bach Ecups don't work because the backbore is not designed for that. jw


Gee, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that a Bach 7 rim is the universal maximum diameter for high horns. So those of us playing D, Eb, F, G, and piccolo trumpets with our rims that are fitted to various cups and backbores don't know what we are doing since many of us use rims that are wider in diameter than the Bach 7, not to mention wider than a 3 rim. I'm sure glad that we all have been set straight by being informed that Bach has a series of mouthpieces with E cups that are "Not a good piece for anything". What were they thinking producing E cup mouthpieces in rim diameters larger that a 7?

By the way, what is your unbiased opinion on Bach D cups wider than a 7?
Relax, he was giving his opinion on that mouthpiece. It's okay to have different opinions and use different equipment! I happen to agree that the backbore is not good with that rim (for me).


I agree too. I have the complete series of Bach 3 mouthpieces from the 3C to the 3F and none of them work for me. As a matter of fact I probably have over 120 different mouthpieces of various shapes, sizes, and configurations. And yet, I've played variations of the same mouthpiece for over 40 years.

But I would never be so dogmatic as to say a particular mouthpiece is "Not good for anything". What does or doesn't work for me may or may not work for someone else. I have no problem with someone offering an opinion. As a matter of fact, I respect opinions, which is one of the reasons why I read this forum on a regular basis. What I have a problem with is when an opinion goes beyond an opinion and becomes a universal proclamation. I would say, in offering an opinion, that a Bach 3E doesn't work for me, but that I do know players that use one successfully. I would never dismiss it out of hand by declaring that it is "Not good for anything".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaw04
Veteran Member


Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 225
Location: Oakland, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: BACH 3E Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
wilder wrote:
Not a good piece for anything. supposed to be for the high horns but the 3 diameter with that backbore is too big. 7E or 10 1/2E are very good for the high horns. as for with a full sized Bflat for commercial playing the Bach Ecups don't work because the backbore is not designed for that. jw


Gee, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that a Bach 7 rim is the universal maximum diameter for high horns. So those of us playing D, Eb, F, G, and piccolo trumpets with our rims that are fitted to various cups and backbores don't know what we are doing since many of us use rims that are wider in diameter than the Bach 7, not to mention wider than a 3 rim. I'm sure glad that we all have been set straight by being informed that Bach has a series of mouthpieces with E cups that are "Not a good piece for anything". What were they thinking producing E cup mouthpieces in rim diameters larger that a 7?

By the way, what is your unbiased opinion on Bach D cups wider than a 7?
Relax, he was giving his opinion on that mouthpiece. It's okay to have different opinions and use different equipment! I happen to agree that the backbore is not good with that rim (for me).


I agree too. I have the complete series of Bach 3 mouthpieces from the 3C to the 3F and none of them work for me. As a matter of fact I probably have over 120 different mouthpieces of various shapes, sizes, and configurations. And yet, I've played variations of the same mouthpiece for over 40 years.

But I would never be so dogmatic as to say a particular mouthpiece is "Not good for anything". What does or doesn't work for me may or may not work for someone else. I have no problem with someone offering an opinion. As a matter of fact, I respect opinions, which is one of the reasons why I read this forum on a regular basis. What I have a problem with is when an opinion goes beyond an opinion and becomes a universal proclamation. I would say, in offering an opinion, that a Bach 3E doesn't work for me, but that I do know players that use one successfully. I would never dismiss it out of hand by declaring that it is "Not good for anything".

I see your point. I operate under the assumption that everything people say on here is just their opinion no matter how much dogma, certainty or conviction they claim, and I can choose to agree or disagree.
_________________
Edwards X-13
8310Z Flugelhorn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
soulfire
Veteran Member


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 304
Location: NJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal experience with this mpc goes back to my college days. I used a 1C and 3C in high school, freshman year college. Once I got to college, they put me on lead for everything and my normal mpcs just were not cutting it anymore.

I used a 1E for a bit, 3E for a bit after that. My issue, as one of the other posters stated above, was that the rims were too wide and my chops were just getting destroyed on a daily basis with almost no recovery time, let alone time to practice anything. By chance, I wandered into a practice room one evening where some folks from the trumpet studio were messing around a Marcinkiewicz Shew 1 (ah the good old days when a bit of mpc disinfectant was enough for 5 people to feel safe trying the same mpc). They weren't able to get it to work for them, but I loved it and the one guy wound up just giving it to me. I used it for the next 3 years and it got me through everything with my chops intact.

ANYWAY (sorry for getting sidetracked), the 3E was fine for me and I did like it, but it just couldn't hold up to the kind of playing I was expected to do back then. Then again Arturo Sandoval plays on a 1 1/4C for everything I think, so thats just my chops.
_________________
Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group