• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 300 "R-series"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark5009

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Getzen 300 "R-series" Reply with quote

So, I found myself a trumpet short of happiness, reached out into the world, and lo! a Getzen 300-series R (from 1994 if the interwebs are correct) landed today for not many local pesos. It's slightly shabby finish-wise but the valves and slides are great, and good compression. It gets a bath tomorrow and I'll check it out more closely but, for the price, it appears solid and blows sweetly so I think it'll do me well. Do need a new trumpet mouthpiece, though. My old Bach 1-1/4C from "back in the day" is no longer my cup of tea...

One thing I don't get is the meaning of the "R-series" thing (the serial is R12484). Getzen seem to have all these series back then--A, C, CB, D, E, K, P, and R all in 1994--which I guess represent different model? Or is this simply an internal kind of thing? Not that it matters, more curious to know if anyone has any info on this.

Thanks from me!

Schilke A2 cornet / Solista flugelhorn / Getzen 390
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen 300 "R-series" Reply with quote

mark5009 wrote:
So, I found myself a trumpet short of happiness, reached out into the world, and lo! a Getzen 300-series R

Congratulations! I hope the two of you'll find much hapiness.

As for your question, I don't know either. I did google a bit and found something about the series but not the letters:

-300/400 Series = Student\Entry Level
-Capri Series = Step Up
-700 Series = Intermediate\Semi-Professional
-Eterna Series = Semi-Professional
-Custom Series = Professional

I did found that DLX stands for 'deluxe' but no mention of other letter codes. So maybe the letter indicates a cetain fabrication aspect? Did you try contacting Getzen about it? Also, try asking the owner of Atelier Pfeiffer...he knows a LOT about trumpets.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new horn! Getzen trumpets -- whether student, intermediate or professional -- are very well built, with what I regard as the finest valves available.

Adam and Brett Getzen post here periodically, and may be able to shed some light on the "R".
mark5009

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen 300 "R-series" Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:

... Did you try contacting Getzen about it?

Thank you! And "not yet." There is much accumulated on this Board I thought I'd ask here, guessing someone has been here before me...

mark5009

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Congratulations on your new horn! Getzen trumpets -- whether student, intermediate or professional -- are very well built, with what I regard as the finest valves available.

Thank you! After seeing many posting here, and looking for essentially a "beater," the Getzen 300 stood out as being a good call. So far all that "hype" seems to be true. For a "beginner horn" this 300 is very well made, with excellent intonation. Just gotta get me a better mouthpiece. Tomorrow...

Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R doesn’t mean anything more than the 1, 2, 4, 8, or 4 in the serial number. The letter is just a part of the serial number. These days they all start with a G.

The only letter codes marked on a trumpet that mean anything would be an LB for large bore. Otherwise, it’s just another digit in the serial number.

Enjoy the 390.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new Getzen 490 Bb for half price and it is worth every penny. It actually plays better than two of my four professional horns. Good luck with your 300. I got a feeling you are going to really like your Getzen.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i regularly play my kxxxx getzen 300 from 1971-72

it plays great! i use it on gigs next to.my many ambassadors
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the hdband.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the Getzen 300 is the finest student horn made. I would not hesitate to take one on a gig.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen 300 "R-series" Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
mark5009 wrote:
So, I found myself a trumpet short of happiness, reached out into the world, and lo! a Getzen 300-series R

As for your question, I don't know either. I did google a bit and found something about the series but not the letters:

-300/400 Series = Student\Entry Level
-Capri Series = Step Up
-700 Series = Intermediate\Semi-Professional
-Eterna Series = Semi-Professional
-Custom Series = Professional

I did found that DLX stands for 'deluxe' but no mention of other letter codes. So maybe the letter indicates a cetain fabrication aspect? Did you try contacting Getzen about it? Also, try asking the owner of Atelier Pfeiffer...he knows a LOT about trumpets.

I never could understand why the Eterna was considered semi-professional. I have two, an early ML and a post Severinsen LB. While they have never been one of my regular horns, they are both great trumpets.
mark5009

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
The R doesn’t mean anything ... Enjoy the 390.

Many thanks, Brett. If this 30 year old horn is an example of your "entry level product" then I am well impressed! If I actually improve I'll be sure to check out the Eterna line, though they are hard to find used here in Oz. Still, that is for another day...

mark5009

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
In my opinion the Getzen 300 is the finest student horn made. I would not hesitate to take one on a gig.

I've been seeing comments like yours, Mike, all over this forum, so when popped up on my local fleabay for a ridiculous price, I jumped at it. Can't say I was wrong

Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s unfortunate that in today’s market, price is the number one concern when it comes to entry level instruments. That’s why we had to discontinue the 390 trumpet. We still offer he 490 for now, but on price and margin it will never be able to compete with an import. Unfortunately for Adam and I, we will never buy a stencil horn from someone else with our name on it. Darned standards and business ethics.

Follow Getzen on:

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame that Getzen will stop making the 390. There are several musicians in bands in my area that use their 300 and see no reason to buy a professional horn.
Because of these tough Covid 19 times I was fortunate to get a 490 at almost half the price of a new one in Canada ( which are somewhere around 2K ). Not too many students will pay that price, even though, for me, the 490 is every bit as good as at least two of my professional trumpets. The 490 feels and plays like a well built professional trumpet, probably more than the average student needs to begin playing.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
mark5009

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Darned standards and business ethics.

I commend you for it, sir! The world needs more like you. Just hope you can keep making ends meet...

Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I can see the draw and appeal of importing a stenciled horn. I was once offered "student" trumpets delivered to Elkhorn, complete, in a case, with a mouthpiece, bearing our name for $75 a piece. We can barely get a case for that price. We could easily sell that same trumpet to dealers with a hefty margin (much more than we make on a horn we actually produce) and all we would have to do is open boxes. Oh and claim they were all made to our standards/specs or that we inspect every one of them when it arrives.

There is just one problem with that. Our actual name is on every horn and that means something. I might feel differently if I was a Smith or a Johnson and not a Getzen.

All that being said, we stopped marketing the 300/400 Series instruments as "student" models years ago. Instead they became "Advanced Student". There is still a market for that level of instrument, but not nearly in the volume it once was. It's interesting when you think about it. The standards for a student or step up instrument have slipped over the years while the standards of what is a "professional" level have risen. There was a time where the gap between the top and bottom was fairly narrow. Today it is enormous.

Follow Getzen on:

Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, is the way students are sold their horns significantly different now than way back when I was a kid?

I started on a rental in 4th grade in 1968, by the middle of 5th grade my folks and teacher thought I would be serious enough about it that a purchase would be worthwhile. The teacher was not a trumpet "native," he was a bass player, but my folks knew nothing at all about instruments so asked him his opinion. He recommended a Bach Mercedes (given timeline I'm assuming early Elkhart).

By the time I got to high school, I think 9 or 10 of the twelve guys in the trumpet section had Bachs, mostly Strads. One kid had a Yamaha and one had his Dad's old horn of indeterminate brand. Maybe it was a LB Committee, who knows?

It was clear that our teachers just kind of auto-piloted recommends for Bachs. Nothing wrong that, of course, but I certainly think my three Getzens each deliver tremendous bang for the buck. But if teachers are auto-piloting Bach and Yammy these days like they did back then, your horns are being done an unwitting disservice. Even worse if they're just letting the rent-to-own stuff end up being bought at those prices.
mark5009

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
There was a time where the gap between the top and bottom was fairly narrow. Today it is enormous.

Being a comeback player, with little experience of the market and limited budget, I found myself right in the middle of that market when I was buying my cornet. Using trumpets rather than cornets, here, in Oz, that break point is around $2000. The beginner instruments are $1k and below (Yam 2 and 3-series, Jupiter 700, CarolBrass, etched Bachs). Double your money and it gets more interesting. Yam 6335, top-end CarolBrass, Jupiter XO (a bit more expensive), the Getzen 490. And from there you double your money again to $4k and beyond to get a "pro" instrument from Bach, Yamaha, Eternas, et al. (Interestingly there is little difference here between a Capri and an Eterna, though I suspect that is a stock issue.)

Personally, this price gapping is what makes the 2nd hand market so appealing. Resale values for anything expect Yamahas and Bachs (the "quality brand" factor to the uninitiated) tend to tank (except Martin Committees, go figure ).

Given all that, I commend you for going on and finding a middle way. I suspect as the Chinese horns get better it will only become more difficult. I wish you good luck and all the best. You make an excellent product and these are weird times, I hope there are people who will enjoy your horns long after I'm gone.

Thanks again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: