• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Newbie Instrument Care Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildWilly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Newbie Instrument Care Question Reply with quote

After a 60 year hiatus, I've returned to the trumpet. Purchased a new student horn and the the care instructions read as follows" "When the instrument is new, clean piston valves frequently in order to remove the microscopic bits of metal that wear off as you break in the valves. Do this daily for the first two weeks even if the valves are working."

Is this necessary? If so, how do you clean the valves?

Thanking you alll in advance for any and all input.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Reply with quote

Sounds like a good preventative measure. Do you have a valve brush, snake and mouthpiece brush?
I wash all my trumpets every two weeks. Use the sink with a towel lining the bottom. Take out the slides, valves, caps etc. Make sure all the are felts are out. Also leave the top caps and finger buttons in a dry place.
Place the trumpet and parts in warm water and cover the trumpet with dawn detergent. Soak for a few hours.
When you take out the trumpet,rinse off. Then run a snake through the lead pipe. Soak the valve brush in isopropyl alcohol and clean the interior of valve block. Wipe off valves with soaked microfiber towel. Use a soaked qtip in valve holes and bottom. Clean the bottom caps. Also use the snake, brushes on interior of slides. Then rinse out interior of trumpet. Dry off and dry the trumpet for a few hours. Grease up the slides and put back on. Then bottom caps, assemble valves, oil them and play.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would daily remove each piston and wipe them with a tissue, reinsert the pistons and apply a few drops of valve oil to each one.
Use a Q-tip to clean the interior passages in the pistons .
edit: a soft lint-free cloth or towel works very well. Save your worn-out cotton T-shirts.

If the tissue seems to be unusually dirty, or there any specks of metal, then also clean the interior of the valve casings with a soft tissue. There shouldn't be any sizeable flecks of metal, but you might see a pinpoint sparkle.

After several days / weeks you should begin to notice that the pistons seem to stay clean - so reduce the frequency of cleaning.

I clean mine that way about once a month, with occasional applications of valve oil as is needed.

And yes, it is a good thing to do with a new instrument. There is a 'break-in' period, and the daily cleaning will reveal if there are any problems that need attention beyond cleaning.

A more thorough cleaning shouldn't hurt, but the more often you disassemble and handle the parts increases the risk of accidental damage.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I give that advice for new trumpets. Wipe and oil at every practice or performance setting for the first two weeks, then daily for two weeks, followed by regular oiling (2-3 times per week or more depending upon use) with occassional wipings.
This also builds a good habit of oiling valves.

Cleaning the entire instrument, 2-6 times annually; again depending upon use, environmental factors, and how your chemistry reacts with the instrument.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're getting answers to two questions here: your question and the question of general instrument cleaning.
your answer - for a couple of weeks, remove each valve piston, wipe it down with a soft cloth or tissue until there's not oil or residue on it. Re lubricate and replace in the horn.

For general cleaning follow instructions in other responses here....

keith
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Instrument Care Question Reply with quote

WildWilly wrote:
"When the instrument is new, clean piston valves frequently in order to remove the microscopic bits of metal that wear off as you break in the valves. Do this daily for the first two weeks even if the valves are working."

Is this necessary? If so, how do you clean the valves?

Thanking you alll in advance for any and all input.

That is what I have always heard and have done on new trumpets. I wipe the pistons off with a microfiber cloth and run a microfiber cloth through the housings, getting them clean. Then liberally apply valve oil. Do this every time you use the horn for a few weeks to a month depending on how much you use the horn. Then you can back off a little at a time.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
WildWilly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you one and all. Wealth of knowledge here.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some useful advice. Since we're here anyway...

...when it comes to vintage trumpets, do you also 'bathe' them regularly? I'm kinda anxious to expose my Olds to that much water on a regular basis...
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildWilly wrote:
Thank you one and all. Wealth of knowledge here.

Apart from the advice to use a tissue of cloth to do this break in cleaning. Wash the valves in warm, soapy water, rinse and dry a little. Re-oil using oil, it should not be sparingly; flush the valves with oil so they can take any remaining debris out and down into the bottom caps.

Cheers

Andy
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Great advice Reply with quote

Vintage lacquered trumpets soak in warm soapy water. Error on the side of colder. I have taken the finish of vintage trumpet unintentionally and intentionally. Raw brass looks and plays well.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Great advice Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Vintage lacquered trumpets soak in warm soapy water. Error on the side of colder. I have taken the finish of vintage trumpet unintentionally and intentionally. Raw brass looks and plays well.

Yeah I feared as much. Guess I'll stick to regular cleaning and polishing with a microfiber cloth only.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Professional cleaning Reply with quote

As other posters have stated: Using a snake through the lead pipe, valve brush soaked in isopropyl alcohol, qtips for holes in valves and cleaning bottom is sufficient. Surprises my how dirty many of the used student trumpets are. Also how dirty the mouthpieces were. Wiping down the mouthpieces, trumpet especially where you fingers touch is warranted.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it common to have to “break in” valves and clean them so diligently on most newer trumpets?
I’ve played Bachs and Yamahas out of the box that needed a bit of oil and felt great. Never noticed any debris from the manufacturer. Perhaps, I’ve just been lucky.

What are your experiences?
Sorry to stray a bit off topic.
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leary of using qtips and tissue in the area of the valves. I only use cloth lens wipes. Thats just me.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it adequate to remove and wipe the pistons with a lint-free cloth and use oil generously. I continue to do that until wiping the valves produces no noticeable debris and then a bit. It might have been on the advice of my teacher, I don't recall exactly but I also got in the habit of putting a good bit of oil down the leadpipe and forcefully blowing it through the horn to help speed up clearing anything that might be lingering there. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to chase anything into the cylinders but I wasn't really expecting there to be, and never found, anything of consequence.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspeyrer wrote:
Is it common to have to “break in” valves and clean them so diligently on most newer trumpets?
I’ve played Bachs and Yamahas out of the box that needed a bit of oil and felt great. Never noticed any debris from the manufacturer. Perhaps, I’ve just been lucky.

What are your experiences?
Sorry to stray a bit off topic.

It's not really about manufacturing debris - though admittedly there may be some makes where it is I suppose. In general, it's about new valves wearing in. This is no different than the first few hundred miles on a car engine seating the rings. In both cases, modern machining has minimized the irregularities to be worked out, but in piston valves, it can also exacerbate the issue.

We like our valves tight, so we don't have stuffiness, intonation, or tone issues. Modern machining lets companies like KHS and CarolBrass push that to amazingly tight tolerances. But, there is still some friction until the valves, and often unique to the habits of the player, find their happy place. Pistons, being nickel, monel or stainless, are intended to wear the softer brass casing to a perfect fast smooth fit. In so doing in that first hundred hours or two, they will remove fine brass particles that appear as black residue. That is what needs to be cleaned out so that it does not build up and become an abrasive, causing unintended additional wear (and sticking).

The tighter the valve fit, the more black stuff at first. If there isn't any from brand new valves, that's when it's time to be concerned.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to understand is that all materials are rough and not smooth when manufactured. But this roughness is too fine to be observed.

This roughness is microscopic, new glass that looks shiny for example is covered in microscopic lumps that are revealed in a scanning electron micrograph image.

These minute imperfections on the surface of the valves and valve block prevent the smooth and slick running of the valves until the valves are worn in by repeated use.

In effect the valves lap themselves in to the bore and until it is complete a microscopic slurry of oil and valve material and valve block material is released during playing each day.

Once the valves are worn in, this process stops because the valves and valve block are then truly smooth.

It is absolutely necessary to follow the manufacturers guidance in this.

Very small amounts of material are scrubbed away but it is necessary to remove this material as it is released each day of wearing in.
WildWilly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You one and all for the responses. I am cleaning and lightly oiling the valves every day. Bought a trumpet care kit and using the snakes and brushes. A wealth of info here and thankful that so many share it.
Gretsch Pathfinder
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if you don't clean as explained previously ?e

I am worried about horn staying in shops for month, tried by dozen of people and put in the case without being cleaned ?

(extra question : sometimes, parts of the horn blacken. Is this color coming from the worn of the valves coloring other parts ?)
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my horns are Getzens. i bought 'em, I oiled 'em. I played 'em.

No problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: