• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Evette and Schaeffer American Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Evette and Schaeffer American Trumpet Reply with quote

Just picked up an Evette and Schaeffer American trumpet and was rather surprised at the build and quality. It appears that these were distributed by Carl Fisher as student models, yet the trumpet has many professional features. It looks like the design borrowed very heavily from the Buescher 400.

My thought was that this was a .472 large bore, but the bore is .455. The top and bottom valve caps thread internally, the pearl fingers button are contoured, the slides are nickel, there is extensive floral engraving, the spit valves are high quality, the serial number is etched on the slides and valves, the valves are top sprung, and it plays wonderfully.

The little information on the internet indicates it could have been made by several french or german manufactures. A similar Buffet Crampon trumpet, with triggers, but near-identical was attributed to being made by Monke in Germany. Apparently these trumpets came with either 4 or 6 digit serial numbers. Mine is a 4 digit number.

I'll try to post pictures and would like any information about this horn that you may have.

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of these in silver plate from a collector last November and decided to put it in a sonic cleaner to thoroughly clean the inside. However, it stripped some of the silver off the inside of the bell flare! (The horn was only in the tank for 5 minutes with no added heat or chemical other than Dawn! Ugh!) Anyway, I had the bell removed and sent off to be replated, which is now on its way back to the original shop to be reinstalled. Unfortunately, it will be a few weeks before I get it, along with several other projects, since I plan on driving over 500 miles to that shop to pick up all of them! The brass tech is still finishing up summer school band instruments, and my remaining projects are in line after those, which hopefully will commence in another ten days or so.

I'll check when I get it back, but I think it has all of the same features as your E&S...and it also is a great-playing trumpet! I'll plan to re-post to this thread once I get it.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the first slide is half reversed. Is there any scar from a saddle having been there?

The Buffet branded version came with less engraving, but triggers.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking trumpet...especially the rim on the bell, wow!
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I notice the first slide is half reversed. Is there any scar from a saddle having been there?

The Buffet branded version came with less engraving, but triggers.

No evidence of a first valve saddle and this trumpet was likely built well before first valve saddles were in vogue. Also, all valve slides were half reversed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: