• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Silver Flair 1055

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
As long as we're at it, does anyone know it's tone? Like a Severensen, Benge or more middle core like a Bach? In other words, is it a bright horn?

Here's Trent Austin demonstrating one:

Link

At around 6:25 he switches to a lead mouthpiece.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
[/b]
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
As long as we're at it, does anyone know it's tone? Like a Severensen, Benge or more middle core like a Bach? In other words, is it a bright horn?

It's probably most similar to a Benge, but a Severinsen might be a good comparison as well. The King Silver Flair is from the era where lightweight trumpets were the best match for the recording equipment of the time (Calicchio, Benge, Conn 60B, Olds Custom Crafted, etc.). They are pretty bright sounding compared to a standard weight Bach, but it's more vibrant rather than a piercing or nasal sound that some horns have. The most famous recording with a King 1055T is probably Uan Rasey's solo on "Chinatown". They're really great instruments, and very underrated compared to a lot of other vintage horns.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
The most famous recording with a King 1055T is probably Uan Rasey's solo on "Chinatown".

Actually, I think Rasey used a King "Frankenhorn" with some components from a King 1077 Golden Flair and a 1055T Silver Flair bell. (See my post in this thread -- https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162312&highlight=golden+flair)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Sir_Ricardo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning Silver Flair....how do I take off the trigger? Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:

To remove the slide you press the trigger which actuated the slide. With your thumb on the trigger you pull the slide off and slowly release the trigger. If you just let go of the trigger it will slam down and cause damage to the tines of the trigger where the slide slips into as well as cause damage to the valve block.

A follow-up question. I pushed the trigger forward, but before the tines release the slide, the trigger hits the 1st valve casing. It appears that I would need to partially unscrew the retaining/spring screw in order to allow the trigger to move forward unimpeded. I'm thinking if I did that, the trigger would move away - laterally - from the valve casing.

Is that normal? Is there a problem partially unscrewing the trigger screw?

thanks
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning Silver Flair....how do I take off the trigger? Reply with quote

Sir_Ricardo wrote:
chef8489 wrote:

To remove the slide you press the trigger which actuated the slide. With your thumb on the trigger you pull the slide off and slowly release the trigger. If you just let go of the trigger it will slam down and cause damage to the tines of the trigger where the slide slips into as well as cause damage to the valve block.

A follow-up question. I pushed the trigger forward, but before the tines release the slide, the trigger hits the 1st valve casing. It appears that I would need to partially unscrew the retaining/spring screw in order to allow the trigger to move forward unimpeded. I'm thinking if I did that, the trigger would move away - laterally - from the valve casing.

Is that normal? Is there a problem partially unscrewing the trigger screw?

thanks
You don't need to unscrew anything at all. At no point should your trigger hit the 1st valve casing. If it does, your trigger is bent. I'll try to get some pics later.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion on the trigger. When I started looking for a Silver Flair I noticed that the distance from the trigger/paddle (the part the thumb pushes) and the 1st valve casing was different on various pictures in listings. Not sure if people bend them to preference or if the exact shape of the trigger changed or varied during production? Any way, the one I ended up buying has the trigger closer to the valve casing than some others I saw. I had to remove the trigger to get the first slide off. It was not that big of a deal. I like the positioning of where it is, so have not bent the trigger away from the valve casing. If you do decide to bend it, I STRONGLY encourage you to REMOVE THE TRIGGER before attempting to bend it. In my opinion, you should not try and bend it while mounted as that will most likely put too much tension on the valve casing and could possibly warp the valve casing.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
Interesting discussion on the trigger. When I started looking for a Silver Flair I noticed that the distance from the trigger/paddle (the part the thumb pushes) and the 1st valve casing was different on various pictures in listings. Not sure if people bend them to preference or if the exact shape of the trigger changed or varied during production? Any way, the one I ended up buying has the trigger closer to the valve casing than some others I saw. I had to remove the trigger to get the first slide off. It was not that big of a deal. I like the positioning of where it is, so have not bent the trigger away from the valve casing. If you do decide to bend it, I STRONGLY encourage you to REMOVE THE TRIGGER before attempting to bend it. In my opinion, you should not try and bend it while mounted as that will most likely put too much tension on the valve casing and could possibly warp the valve casing.
The design stayed the same from introduction of silver flair all the way to the current models of the silver flair. I have had many models of all them through the years from H.n. white, Kmi, Umi and even modern conn-selmer. Unless the trigger was bent, there is plenty of room for it to travel and for it to be removed without anything being unscrewed. It's the whole reason for that design.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Old thread but my perception from behind the horn in my living room is the Silver Flair is similar to a Severinsen but not quite as bright. Valves are good, not quite the NASA spec feel of the Getzen.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Here's a couple of things I did on mine.

I'm the trumpet behind the singer. Using a Jet-Tone T1A on both examples.

https://on.soundcloud.com/6TDDD

Part of Tuxedo Junction. I'm all trumpets - everything else is MIDI. Early experiment combining live and MIDI

https://on.soundcloud.com/p4sWF
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was greatly impressed with your playing on God Bless America, Robert.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P - Very nice clean playing and sound. The mouthpiece and Silver Flair are a good match with you behind the horn!!
đź‘Ť
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pics came from current ebay listings. In each picture the slide is fully in, even the one with the hand holding the horn. I know the angles are different, but you can see that the distance from the trigger (the part the thumb presses) and the valve case is different.

https://imgur.com/FNtcKJA
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
These pics came from current ebay listings. In each picture the slide is fully in, even the one with the hand holding the horn. I know the angles are different, but you can see that the distance from the trigger (the part the thumb presses) and the valve case is different.

https://imgur.com/FNtcKJA

Those are bad angle pics though. The triggers travel past the first valve and should nor touch it unless it's bent. Pardon the dirty horn. I need to polish my horn.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any of you know if a Benge can be warmer than the Silver Flair?
Is the Silver Flair mainly a lead horn or would it fit in with a typical wind ensemble?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the King 1055T to be a better fit in a wind ensemble.
Sir_Ricardo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: I'd post a pic of my trigger -- but how do you post pics? Reply with quote

Sorry, guys, I checked the FAQs and there were no instructions as to how to post a pic.

If one of you kind gents (and ladies) could tell me, I'll post a photo of my trigger, showing why it can't move past the 1st valve casing.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: I'd post a pic of my trigger -- but how do you post pics Reply with quote

Sir_Ricardo wrote:
Sorry, guys, I checked the FAQs and there were no instructions as to how to post a pic.

If one of you kind gents (and ladies) could tell me, I'll post a photo of my trigger, showing why it can't move past the 1st valve casing.

Upload to a site like imgurl then use the link to your your pic and when posting you have option to hit the img button in the pic, past the url of your pic then hit the img button again to close it

It will look like this

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: I'd post a pic of my trigger -- but how do you post pics Reply with quote

Sir_Ricardo wrote:

Read this thread (especially the last two posts):

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: