• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two New Mouthpieces For Me!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Two New Mouthpieces For Me! Reply with quote

The last time I visited Flip Oakes, I tried a different size of mouthpiece in my flugelhorn and trumpet. It was early last December and I went to Oceanside to try Flip's Fusion horns. His mouthpiece stock was a bit spotty, so I couldn't compare my flugelhorn with the new Champ using my usual #5 rim. The champ uses the Large Morse taper and Flip didn't have one in stock. Actually, that might not be completely accurate, now that I think of it. I've been using my hand-cut Swirling Vortex of Terror!, lately. It's the 1.5 rim.

To get both the French and large Morse in the same rim, we used Flip's 1.25 size Extreme model. Gee, it was nice! I just ordered my own in that size for my flugelhorn.

We also compared trumpets. We had my Spec II Wild Thing, a Spec I WT, an Inspiration, the .460 variation of the Inspiration (gorgeous in every way!) and both Commander and Bolt Fusion models. For these, I had my TCC-5 and 5-O. I've been playing on the TCC (trumpet/cornet hybrid) mostly these days, because its relaxing and I'm only playing in my own home, nowadays.

I called Flip last weekend to see if he had both mouthpieces in the 1.25 rim size and he did! He also said that he has an order of new mouthpieces that are scheduled to be delivered any day. Because of the sharp rise in brass costs and general living expenses, Mark Curry has had to raise his prices, so Flip will have to follow suit.

When the shipment arrives, Flip will learn what price he must sell the new pieces for, but will clear out the current inventory at the current price of $95.00 per piece, plus shipping. He expects the new price will jump to around $150.00 per piece, so if you've been thinking about buying a FO mouthpiece, call or email Flip to see if he has the model and size you want now.

Jump on it! Like I did.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
BarryJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be going slightly off-topic here, but the Flip Oaks extreme deep (XD) cornet mouthpieces are wonderful, especially for someone like myself who doesn't do well on shallow or even medium deep mouthpieces. I'm currently playing a 'signature' model, which is slightly larger than a Bach #1 in diameter, with a deep, V-shaped cup. The tone is incredibly mellow and my upper register has actually improved despite the added cup volume.

Good luck with your new mouthpieces.

Barry
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They arrived yesterday!

Right away, the flugelhorn mouthpiece felt Goldilocks "Just right." It has more room in slotting (I like that) and a larger, more relaxed sound than my #5 version. Compared to the Swirling Vortex of Terror!, it is less diffuse and gives stronger slots and tone centers. It's easier to get intervals right.

The TCC trumpet mouthpiece is going to take a little getting used to in a few aspects. It also gives more room for slotting, tone color and such. That's the good side. On the other hand, it give me a little too much room to screw things up!

The first clue was wonky intonation. Flat octaves, scales that were different going up than coming down told me that I was pinching. Okay, Brian, back to basics! Load the bottom lip more, set the corners properly. Breath! Now, try again.

Yup. It's going to take some time and practice, but what a great thing! I went back to the #5 piece and whoa! Resonance out the wazoo! (That's "bell" for the uninitiated)

I wanted the 1.25 TCC for pretty ballads. I wanted to see if I could get a calmer, darker tone than I normally can get. Will I be able to find that? I don't know. I think I'm going to have to employ a recorder to hear what I'm doing, because I don't really know what that target tone should sound like to me while I'm playing it.

I do know that I like the compression that happens in the tone when I lean into a trumpet through a soaring line. I get that with my #5 rimmed mouthpieces. It's not the same on the 1.25. At least not at first shot. But, that's not what I bought it for.

I think it will give me a good workout. Should be fun!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
BarryJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always take your time breaking in any new mouthpiece. I have found that the lips need to adjust to a mouthpiece that may require more physical control, stamina or breath support. Always stick to basics: long tones, flow studies for breath support, simple scales and arpeggios to open up the tone and find the sweet spot or maximum resonance on any new mouthpiece. If it's meant to be, you'll know within a few short weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: